"Big Tuna I" Recovered!

Reaction score
On or around May 8th I posted a thread that detailed the loss of my P3 Pro over a saltwater marsh in Murrells Inlet, SC. Most responses to my pain suggested catastrophic rotor separation. The flight record gave the recovery team a good idea of where to search. This part of the inlet is subject to high and low tides of some 6 feet twice a day. We searched for the lost drone, "Big Tuna I" each time we visited but the water was cloudy and the bottom is muddy. And it was only feasible to search at or near dead low tide. I had written off my first love.

However, on July 17th, my cousin on a paddle board searched the area again at low tide. He spotted the landing gear and thought it was a crab trap. But when he pulled it up he realized it was the missing drone. It appears I lost a prop and the remaining 3 rotors suffered massive damage at the hub. Camera was not recovered. Battery is still installed and I'm attempting to recover the data on SD card. Photos attached. I'm here to answer your questions. AMA!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 828
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 759
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 847
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    591.3 KB · Views: 795
That looks to be the likeliest cause of the crash. I did not check the tightness of the props prior to this flight. Poor preflight procedures may have caused the loss of the drone.

So the prop spun off huh?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Stiggy,

It does look pretty cool! I was thinking sort of a "Mad Max" look. Problem is it has a distinct spoiled seafood smell to it.

Reactions: Jimbocom
Sad to see one go down but it's a good lesson for us all. Do your **** pre-flight checks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl