P4P+ did not return to home...but I am so lucky!

Reaction score
Its a quiet low wind Sunday morning. I am on my 3rd flight of the day at a second location. As I am getting picture break up at about 2800ft distance I decide to return to home. (Probably caused by trees between drone and RC). Auto RTH is selected and its coming back fine, and I decide to cancel auto RTH and manually fly back the last 800 ft or so. So I am also descending while returning, then when I am about overhead and still at about 300 ft I get the red "Signal Lost" message. So I try to select auto RTH but it fails to select. Now there is nothing happening..no info details on the screen...just zero info..only the white circle around the RTH button under the right stick is flashing, making me think it will descend to where I am standing at the take off point. After a couple of minutes I can't hear the drone nor is it in sight overhead. This is the first incident of any real concern since purchased in February2017..its a P4P plus, so image/picture quality has always been great. So with a sick feeling I pack up the RC into the backpack and just as I open my car door my phone rings...Hello...are you the man with the drone? Turns out my drone hovered for a couple of minutes near a guys house on a busy road about 400 metres from the take off point. He watched it, then he saw it start to descend and realised it would be hit by vehicles passing by. He saw cars swerving to avoid it on the roadway, then saw a large truck approaching and had time to grab the drone before possibly being crushed....I am so lucky this ended ok...and also as I had my phone number on the drone I recovered it about 10 minutes after losing it...I rewarded the guy with a carton of beer..his choice!! Also chocolate bars for his wife and daughters.... The drone still had about 10 minutes flight time when it should have landed next to me...and the lights were flashing when he handed my drone over...but strangely the landing was not recorded, only the hovering near the guys house....I can do without a repeat of this sort of thing..PHEW!!!

Are you sure it was above you or did you cancel out or RTH and it just hovered until it atiolanded? Would be interested to see a flight log in this one.

Are you sure it was above you or did you cancel out or RTH and it just hovered until it atiolanded? Would be interested to see a flight log in this one.
As I said I cancelled auto RTH and manually brought it back towards take off point..I know its common to lose signal with the drone directly above the RC, but why did it continue to fly approx. 400 metres further away from me? That's what is concerning me most.

As I said I cancelled auto RTH and manually brought it back towards take off point..I know its common to lose signal with the drone directly above the RC, but why did it continue to fly approx. 400 metres further away from me? That's what is concerning me most.
Lots of mysteries are solved or at least some guesses can be eliminated by looking at the flights data.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions to upload your flight record.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides

After you canceled the RTH could you see the drone coming back towards you? When you were directly overhead did you adjust your antennas, this is a major cause of lost signal as the antennas need to be almost flat down (horizontal) to maintain connection if the drone is directly above or close to that position.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl