Best Version of iPad for P3 Professional?

Reaction score
Just waiting for delivery of my P3 and thinking about buying an iPad to control it.

(I have a generic Android device but I think it is underpowered for the software).

What iPad should I buy? I'm never been an Apple person so I'm not sure what's best for the intended use.

All of these will work:
Tablets and phones that work well with DJI Go & DJI Pilot | DJI Phantom Forum

I'm using the iPad Mini 2 myself (since it has the same processor as the iPad Mini 3). Also, make sure you get a cellular model if you want GPS. GPS is not required to use the DJI Pilot app, but it will be required in the future if DJI and/or third party developers add features that require the Phantom to know where you are standing (e.g. follow me). The cellular service does not need to be activated in order to use the GPS.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod and kjopc
All of these will work:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#Tablets

I'm using the iPad Mini 2 myself (since it has the same processor as the iPad Mini 3). Also, make sure you get a cellular model if you want GPS. GPS is not required to use the DJI Pilot app, but it will be required in the future if DJI and/or third party developers add features that require the Phantom to know where you are standing (e.g. follow me). The cellular service does not need to be activated in order to use the GPS.

I have iPad Air 2 128GB wifi& 4gLTE. Of course I'm still waiting on iOS lol

Reactions: skyhighdiver
All of these will work:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/#Tablets

Good advice on the cellular. On a PC, I've always gone for lots of RAM but since the iPad will be almost exclusively for the P3 control, how much RAM is enough? Also, is the mini screen surface big enough to see all the controls?

Good advice on the cellular. On a PC, I've always gone for lots of RAM but since the iPad will be almost exclusively for the P3 control, how much RAM is enough? Also, is the mini screen surface big enough to see all the controls?

You mean how much storage space? RAM isn't configurable on iPads or really any other mobile tablet. If you mean storage space I don't think you'll need much unless your planning on importing a lot of your flight videos from your SD card to your iPad for viewing. The iPad Mini 2's are a good deal right now so look around if your good with a screen smaller than the full sized iPad screens. If you want the full size screen the iPad Air 1 uses the same ARM processor as the Mini 2.

If you have a P3P, get the ipad mini gold to match ;)...

Reactions: kjopc
Would you do a iPad mini 2 32gb no cellular or 16gb with cellular?

I have an old ipad2 and need to upgrade. Looking for some input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you do a iPad mini 2 32gb no cellular or 16gb with cellular?

I have an old ipad2 and need to upgrade. Looking for some input

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now cellular has no use case. The DJi app doesn't use the GPS in the mobile device (on iPads you get GPS only in the cellular models). There maybe other reasons you want cellular and GPS outside of the tablets use for flying the drone however. In the future there may be apps, including DJi's, that use GPS in the mobile device to coordinate distance between the Phantom and the Transmitter to do Follow Me functions etc. but this is pure speculation as that capability doesn't exist today. For storage the minimal will work unless you plan on storing your video on your tablet (importing from your SD card).

There's really no reason other than color and the Touch ID capability to get an iPad Mini 3 over a Mini 2. They have the same insides as far as processor and memory. You can stil find brand new Mini 2's for sale online at a good discount and in varying storage capacities.

Now come September I'm sure the Mini 4 will come out with better specs as it'll be 2yrs since anything significant has been changed in the Mini from a performance standpoint.

Now come September I'm sure the Mini 4 will come out with better specs as it'll be 2yrs since anything significant has been changed in the Mini from a performance standpoint.
Might be that long before it has the app ;)

Just waiting for delivery of my P3 and thinking about buying an iPad to control it.

(I have a generic Android device but I think it is underpowered for the software).

What iPad should I buy? I'm never been an Apple person so I'm not sure what's best for the intended use.
Hello there,
I wanted to let you know I have been using the apple iPad air 2...works GREAT...it is the most powerful apple device recommended by DJI to date...!!! ;-)

It will work, but for the money get a ipad air you will never look back and love the large screen

Wouldn't logic lead one to believe that the best iPad for use with the P3 would be the BEST iPad currently available?

Right now, I have an Ipad Air with Cellular, it's almost perfect but I can't put the iPad with its cover, I have to put it "nude"... So it's why I just got an Ipad Mini 2 without Cellular. The Ipad Mini 3 has just the Touch ID added... The perfs are the same.

The price of the device is quite correct (260€) (you have to add really more bucks in order to have the cellular model and it's not used right now...)

The size / weight of the Ipad Mini 2 is PERFECT for the RX ! I love it ! I chosen the white one who is match with the color of the transmitter:)

ps : sorry for my English...

Right now, I have an Ipad Air with Cellular, it's almost perfect but I can't put the iPad with its cover, I have to put it "nude"... So it's why I just got an Ipad Mini 2 without Cellular. The Ipad Mini 3 has just the Touch ID added... The perfs are the same.

The price of the device is quite correct (260€) (you have to add really more bucks in order to have the cellular model and it's not used right now...)

The size / weight of the Ipad Mini 2 is PERFECT for the RX ! I love it ! I chosen the white one who is match with the color of the transmitter:)

ps : sorry for my English...

I have one of those really cheap gel skins on my iPad Air 2 and when I put it in the device holder, I can't even tighten the clamp. It doesn't fall out at all but it barely fits.

D
I have one of those really cheap gel skins on my iPad Air 2 and when I put it in the device holder, I can't even tighten the clamp. It doesn't fall out at all but it barely fits.

Interesting, do you have the ref of your cover ? I use the "default" one from apple and I can't put it on the holder with it. Removing every time the cover is not good. So why I chosen the Ipad Mini

Reactions: Cthulhus

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic