Best single item to protect the gimble?

msinger said:
They were available here, but are all sold out right now.

Yep. 2 in a bag for $50. I jumped on that one quick. Hani ended up using them both to recover my two cameras. Very glad I had them!! Next time they come up I'm going to grab them again. It's a very handy part to have.

rbhamilton said:
msinger said:
They were available here, but are all sold out right now.

Yep. 2 in a bag for $50. I jumped on that one quick. Hani ended up using them both to recover my two cameras. Very glad I had them!! Next time they come up I'm going to grab them again. It's a very handy part to have.
Ditto on that!!!!

tritontr21 said:
Dale, how do you get telemetry on your video?

I installed the FlyTrex Core data recorder http://www.flytrex.com/shop/ to my Phantom which records the flight telemetry to a micro card. The FlyTrex website converts the data file to a '.csv' (comma separated value) spreadsheet. I then use DashWare http://www.dashware.net/ to overlay the telemetry 'gauges' onto the flight video.

Dan

daleseprime said:
I installed the FlyTrex Core data recorder http://www.flytrex.com/shop/ to my Phantom which records the flight telemetry to a micro card. The FlyTrex website converts the data file to a '.csv' (comma separated value) spreadsheet. I then use DashWare http://www.dashware.net/ to overlay the telemetry 'gauges' onto the flight video.

Dashware isn't currently available...hasn't been for a couple of weeks at least.

"Thank you for your interest in DashWare. We decided to temporarily disable downloads and new sales in order to focus on our next release"

Whatever that means. Generally, not a positive sign of the health of any given software company.

Also, it's Windows only. Won't run on the Mac OS.

Phantom Fix version 2... looks nice. Much better than the double-sided tape version that is impossible to remove. It looks a lot cleaner (less sloppy) than the old version too.

KillerRC said:
Hmm. That design looks strangely familiar, yet still sloppy. You still have to remove the screws so it's the same as removing the back plate but without the weight savings of removing the back plate.

Looks like we now have a horse race taking place between sellers. How much extra weight do you think it adds - subtracting out the same amount of metal that wraps around the side to the front? I bet you'd hardly be able to feel the difference in the weight of that small amount of aluminum if you had it in the palm of your hand. I agree yours looks nice and professional-looking like a polished aircraft piece of aluminum. But, honestly, if I can buy something that does the same thing and save my hard-earned cash at less than half the price, I'll gladly give up the shine. Just my opinion as a consumer. I think your price is a bit high for this market.

MapMaker53 said:
I think your price is a bit high for this market.
I disagree. Think about how much you shelled out for your Phantom so far.

So I should just shell out more when it isn't necessary? You must have more money than I do. ;)

But, it is necessary if you want a polished product.

I absolutely agree with that. Looks really nice.

No offense meant, KillerRC. Yours is clearly the Cadillac of the gimbal inertia guards and I'm sure a segment of the market will buy them. It's clear that you take pride in your product. No fault there.

SSR99 said:
Ok..Im lost...is this a worthwhile option for gimble protection?
http://www.djiphantomfix.com/

I have that one and it works fine. That design adheres to the gimbal with double-sided tape. If you don't like the tape method, you can use the same guy's screw on one at http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-RIBBON-...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d29a026cf. Or you can use one that replaces the entire back of the gimbal sold by KillerRC.com. Or you can buy a plastic one sold by.. can't recall, but just search the web or the forum. As long as they prevent the gimbal from coming apart due to inertia on impact, they will all generally accomplish the same job.

Ok I will weigh-in on this topic I guess, since I have purchased every protective item out there I think...

A. First: item I got was the "Aluminum C-Clamp"

B. Second item was the C.F. Guard .

C. Third item was a set of the "Skid Extenders" by Mr. Bowers

D. Fourth item was an item off of ebay that was to protect the ribbon cable.

E. Fifth item was the Killer RC item.

Here is what my findings are the best items I ultimately am keeping on my P2V+ And "My Opinions" on each as far as the "Bang for the Buck"!

Item "D" is OK, but last on my "B4B" aka (bang 4 Buck) It does cover the ribbon cable ok, made from a 3D printer and cost $25.00 for the 2-piece set. However I'm not keeping it on my P2V+
Item "A" is good and recently was battle tested from a freefall of over 2000' and it did it's job, the Gimbel was not separated and still worked!!! However I'm not keeping it on my P2V+.

These items made the Varsity Protection team on my P2V+!!

I rate this item as my best protective "B4B" product.. KILLER RC'S Billet Aluminum Gimbel Guard. This product reminds me of the type of items I would have hand made by a guy who made race equipment for me in my racing days! It's PURE PRO in it's concept & it's craftsmanship. The item is worth every penny!! Also high marks in Customer service!!! It replaced the "C-Clamp", I was using.

The next item I rate as the 2nd best protective "B4B" product. Is Mr. Fastsmiles with his C.F. Guard. The piece is made of Excellent Craftsmanship & does the trick! It is staying on my P2V+!!! and I would like to mention that his Integrity & Customer Service is some of the best I've ever worked with.

The final item I want to mention has not been talked about in here (or I've never seen it) but should! It is a set of Clear Lexan tubes that are custom cut, so that they snap right over your stock skids. The beauty of the item is that it extends the length of the skids, making your P2V+ MUCH MORE STABLE!!! No more tipping over.....EVER!!!

So that is my picks and reasons why... I didn't include photo's of everything, but can if some folks are interested in seeing what I'm referring too....

Moose

Moose said:
Ok I will weigh-in on this topic I guess, since I have purchased every protective item out there I think...

Moose[/color][/b]
+1 :D
I'm totally with your choice of protective bits! I have not seen the lexan gear extensions, they sound like a great idea! (Although I hand catch mine).

msinger said:
Moose, I'm not sure all of those items were made to protect the gimbal.

If you like inexpensive things and don't want to sacrifice quality, then check out this one:
http://www.uavbits.net/store/p10/Inertia_Guard.html

Well yes they do protect the gimbel or the gimbel ribbon wire, even the Skid Extenders do, just not directly. And no, I'm not into "inexpensive things" thats not what "Bang for the Buck", was meant to convey, sorry if you got that from my post. Example: The P2V+ is the best "B4B" IMO, but it's definitely not inexpensive....

as far as the address for that Inertia Guard U sent me, thanks but no thanks.....

Moose

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1