Best single item to protect the gimble?

I have the "inertia guard" msinger posted up and also this which is meant to protect the camera (Its from the same company that makes the intertia guard)
http://www.uavbits.net/store/p4/Carbon_ ... _P2V_.html

The fellow (who's name I forget) who makes the items is on this forum to. Very helpful guy :)

I am also a little sceptical about the inertia guards (all of them) but apparently it has protected in a few crashes; However I'm sure it wont protect in all situations, but nothing probably would.I figured for $8 its worth getting.

The "gimbal saver" looks really nice and well made as well.

Count me in with the "First, don't crash". But if you must crash, then the Killer RC Gimbal saver is THE way to go!!

But the first line of defense is truly learning how to control your aircraft rather than chasing it through the sky trying to keep up. These things are a double edged sword. They are deceptively easy to get in the air, but much harder to truly control well. Most get antsy and decide to find out how far/high/ they can fly. The woods are full of Phantoms destroyed for no other reason than a lack of patience.

I'd really suggest two items:
- the guard across the bottom of the legs to prevent objects from hitting the gimbal
- the inertia guard that prevents the gimbal motor from separating.

I have the inertia guard and from the looks of it, there is NO WAY this thing can protect any gimbal. I don't want to be negative, but I received mine yesterday and it fit loose, so loose, when I did a test flight with it on. It was moving around to much, so I just took it off.
It cost $8 but just a word to the wise, if something is cheap in price it's usually a crappy product to begin with. JMO

Bigdz said:
I have the inertia guard and from the looks of it, there is NO WAY this thing can protect any gimbal. I don't want to be negative, but I received mine yesterday and it fit loose, so loose, when I did a test flight with it on. It was moving around to much, so I just took it off.
It cost $8 but just a word to the wise, if something is cheap in price it's usually a crappy product to begin with. JMO

The ONLY guard worth the money is the Killer RC guard. It BOLTS onto the gimbal (replaces the backplate, only adds a few grams of weight) and it is STOUT.

SilentAV8R said:
Bigdz said:

The ONLY guard worth the money is the Killer RC guard. It BOLTS onto the gimbal (replaces the backplate, only adds a few grams of weight) and it is STOUT.
I strongly disagree.

I also own the Interia Guard and I think the fit and finish is perfect. It is made of a solid piece that wraps the entire way around the gimbal (no other products do this). While it's made of plastic, due to the way it's designed, it seems like it would offer more protection than anything else on the market right now.

msinger said:
SilentAV8R said:
I strongly disagree.

I also own the Interia Guard and I think the fit and finish is perfect. It is made of a solid piece that wraps the entire way around the gimbal (no other products do this). While it's made of plastic, due to the way it's designed, it seems like it would offer more protection than anything else on the market right now.

OK. I stated my opinion, you stated yours. Personally I'll take machined billet aluminium over plastic.

SilentAV8R said:
Personally I'll take machined billet aluminium over plastic from a 3D printer.
The Inertia Guard is not made by a 3D printer.

On the topic of it being worth the month, it's only $8. He could easily charge $30 for it. So, this one is well worth the money too :)

The Inertia Guard has to fit loose to prevent interfering with the gimbal function. It's only purpose is to prevent separation of the gimbal motor at that point. If you install any gimbal protector that wraps around the gimbal and actually rubs against the gimbal, don't use it. You can burn up a gimbal motor that is not free to move. Make sure your gimbal always moves freely.

The product from Killer RC looks very nice. A subtle addition to your Phantom.

msinger said:
SilentAV8R said:
Personally I'll take machined billet aluminium over plastic from a 3D printer.
The Inertia Guard is not made by a 3D printer.

On the topic of it being worth the month, it's only $8. He could easily charge $30 for it. So, this one is well worth the money too :)

OK, I changed my post. I'll still take a machined metal piece that bolts onto the gimbal over plastic.

Agreed -- the machined "Gimbal Saver" is very nice looking.

For those that want to pay a little less though, I think the Inertia Guard would offer the same level of protection. And, as fastsmiles pointed out, there is no way for it to potentially bend and rub against the gimbal. So, be careful if you're purchasing a metal protector other than the Gimbal Saver from Killer RC.

Thanks. What about the carbon fiber camera saver for $35 are many using that and is it better then nothing.

:D
Got to chime in, I really like Fastsmiles carbon fiber gimbal guard. If there was only one single item to protect my camera/gimbal, that's what I would get.

Only problem with camera guard is.. if you have a custom foam case...depending on the design.. you might have to modify the foam to make the phantom sit as the guard could get in the way. Not really a fault with the guard though. They look great :) espeacilly the CF version.

justin00 said:
Only problem with camera guard is.. if you have a custom foam case...depending on the design.. you might have to modify the foam to make the phantom sit as the guard could get in the way. Not really a fault with the guard though. They look great :) espeacilly the CF version.

The Killer RC guard fits in a manner that it will change nothing about how the Phantom fits your case. Mine still fits my case perfectly

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik