Best range extender for P4 ?

SKYREAT Copper Parabolic Antenna Range Booster for DJI Phantom 4 Phantom 3 Professio... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017IP2P98/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_c_api_64UIxb40XAJ8A

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I have these, and the jury is still out for me ff they work at any level or are negative. My first distance run of at or over 3 miles was without them, and my limiting factor was the low battery warning. Since then, I've made similar 3 miles runs with them, but during the runs, I'm still getting poor video and RC intermittently.

As I have said before, there is a water tower right at a mile from my house which I target since it is so prominent. Without these Skyreat copper WSs, I get RTH right before the tower for whatever reason. I thought I'd pop them on when I got them and then fly circles around the tower. Nope, I still got RTH as the same location.

Due to the heat, I've not been flying as much as I used to so I haven't been able to test them better than the anecdotal information above. Not telling anyone to not get them, the jury is still out for me.

Reactions: DaveD
I have these, and the jury is still out for me ff they work at any level or are negative. My first distance run of at or over 3 miles was without them, and my limiting factor was the low battery warning. Since then, I've made similar 3 miles runs with them, but during the runs, I'm still getting poor video and RC intermittently.

As I have said before, there is a water tower right at a mile from my house which I target since it is so prominent. Without these Skyreat copper WSs, I get RTH right before the tower for whatever reason. I thought I'd pop them on when I got them and then fly circles around the tower. Nope, I still got RTH as the same location.

Due to the heat, I've not been flying as much as I used to so I haven't been able to test them better than the anecdotal information above. Not telling anyone to not get them, the jury is still out for me.

Flying environment variables are an interesting part of flying. Many things affect range that aren't obvious. At least these are an inexpensive first option. When they do help the issue becomes battery life, but truly if we are told to maintain visual contact in a line of sight manner, they should paint the Phantom's bright orange, as I fairly quickly lose sight of it even close by. The range these can give put it way out of the ability to track it visually - the auto RTH and RTH button are one of the major reasons my first quadcopter purchase was the P4. Safety first. Happy flying!

0447C8BF-AB11-4BB9-BF4F-11D9DC198D4C.jpeg
This is with a phantom 4 with modded controller; just made it back with 3% battery; I know all the things I did wrong according to most people but I had permission from the property owner beside crossing a few roads.

I have seen that in clean air just the dbs2 (maxxuav) antenna will take you as far out as the battery can bring you back.

Pfe7Hhd.jpg

There was a super moon one night last year when I flew 2 distance flights. My longest distance that night was just 158' short of 5 miles out, and it came back at 1 or 2% battery left. The conditions were great, but I believe I could have gone to 5 miles if I was at a lower altitude, my altitude being 4,000'. I think that 52,624' run was that run, and it was done with just Skyreat windsurfers. I also had the channel hack, but I don't think it helped any since I was in a desert area outside of the city.

As you can see, there are 3 pages on my stats since I received a replacement P4 from DJI after having turned it in for cracked airframe. I have way more than 198 combined flights with both birds, especially since I've been flying Litchi waypoint missions, many at 7 and 8 miles long.

One day, I may get a P4Pro battery and try some more distance runs. It is possible that even with that battery, it won't get out that far again due to DJI messing with these past updates.

Sorry to re-raise an old topic....but I'm still not convinced - ther'es so many kinds out there, some offering slightly better object penetration, others with a boost offerign the longest linear range (as as far as the battery goes). I'm looking for a good "all round" high and low frequency antenna range extender (and if I must, buy a booster), so what would you guys recommend in that situation? prefer to hear from people who have at least 2 systems or tested more than one.

Thanks
RoOSTA

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20