Best possible video quality with P4P?

For grins, have a look at this footage where I proved out this problem. Jump to 25 seconds and focus on the A frame house in each.

It’s the same footage that was shot at 29.97 FPS. But the first one was laid into a project created at 23.97 FPS. Jittery. The second one I dropped the footage into a project created at 29.97 FPS - matching the original footage. Smoooooth.

Huge difference, second video is way better! BTW, very nice place to fly.

Good idea, inspired!
Thanks. Here is a longer one where I fade through multiple seasons. Some of the best are later on during the fall and winter. Made possible with Litchi

Reactions: OOO
Thanks. Here is a longer one where I fade through multiple seasons. Some of the best are later on during the fall and winter. Made possible with Litchi

I have seen this one before and really enjoyed watching it.

The p4p handles up to 4k at 30fps without noticeable quality loss. 60fps effectively looses half the resolution and is therefore more or less unusable.

30 as compared to 24 allows for slightly faster motion without jittering (well known from cinema during panning motions).

This footage is all 4k / 30 / h265 / iso100 / dcinelike/ f/5.6 shot with and without nd filter (most but not all footage around 1/60 sec).

This amount of motion, especially when close to the ground, would be slightly problematic with 24fps.

It depends from various aspects in taking the footage (shutter speed/angle) editing and end destination, artistic ambitions, etc.,, but, if we keep mathematic first, then Nr. 4 in Your list - 4K/24(25) fps.

Because the max. bitrate of the camera is limited, so, a.e., You have 2 times more information in each frame in 4K/30 than in 4K/60 footage.

Mix, are you saying that the bitrate is maxed out at 30fps? Since it can't send enough info to fill up 60 frames, it halves the resolution?

Mix, are you saying that the bitrate is maxed out at 30fps? Since it can't send enough info to fill up 60 frames, it halves the resolution?

Martymullin - it should be maxed out at 25 (the lower fps) because, if we consider a fixed bitrate (non-VBR) video, those bits divides to frames - lesser frames means more bits for each frame.
Of course, there are zillion other factors, and, at the end - the subjective perception, which is a weird beast :)

You should probably stick to these framerates:

24 if you want that cinematic look (or for use with other 24fps footage)
30 as this is the highest quality option for p4p
60 if you need to either slow down footage or need a 60fps production. This has as only downside the reduced quality

25 and 50 only made sense in the old analog days where the electric net was 50hz in most of europe and we had crt tvs where interference could be a problem. These have no advantages today and really should be avoided (the exception would be if you intend to use with other footage at that framerate).

Your footage has high motion and would benefit from two things; higher framerate (again 30 or maybe 60) and also some motion blur. 30 fps shot at 1/60 second would be ideal.

Hey, this is s really helpful post and explains a lot around best settings, something I keep reading different posts on. I used to film at 4K 30fps and edit the same in FCPX outputting master file at same frame rate but since one video of a castle looking better when filmed and edited at 60 FPS I swapped to filming at 60 FPS but now rethinking!! The only odd thing for me is the one I tried at 60 does seem better so wondering if I missed something else - it was s bright sunny day and used ND8 but still (in theory) should have lost some definition if I’m understanding correctly?

This is the video (was uploaded in 60 FPS from the master)

Some others I’ve done since don’t look as crisp I think.

Hey, this is s really helpful post and explains a lot around best settings, something I keep reading different posts on. I used to film at 4K 30fps and edit the same in FCPX outputting master file at same frame rate but since one video of a castle looking better when filmed and edited at 60 FPS I swapped to filming at 60 FPS but now rethinking!! The only odd thing for me is the one I tried at 60 does seem better so wondering if I missed something else - it was s bright sunny day and used ND8 but still (in theory) should have lost some definition if I’m understanding correctly?

This is the video (was uploaded in 60 FPS from the master)

Some others I’ve done since don’t look as crisp I think.
Very nice.

At 30 fps here, you would have seen slightly improved detail especially in the trees/grass and other low-contrast areas. The strong light combined with the strong contrast of the castle itself does not suffer here (so this footage works well as is).

It seems you have a strange "wobble"in parts of the footage however, (ex 2:13) could be the gimble?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT