Best ND Filters for P3P

Reactions: bobmyers
All of the filters are different. There isn't really one best option for everyone. The DJI filters are my favorite so far. But, you can check out a list of all commonly used filters here and decide for yourself.

ND filters are great. But to me, having a polarizer is just as critical, as is having a graduated filter.

Personally, I picked up the Polar Pro 6 pack and was planning to get the 16-8 grad filter. At the time of my purchase, Rainbowers kit was not even in the planning stages.

Right now, Rainbowers kit is the best value and the best 'kit' out there assuming that there are no unforeseen issues discovered. It's really good for what it is.

ND filters are great. But to me, having a polarizer is just as critical, as is having a graduated filter.

Personally, I picked up the Polar Pro 6 pack and was planning to get the 16-8 grad filter. At the time of my purchase, Rainbowers kit was not even in the planning stages.

Right now, Rainbowers kit is the best value and the best 'kit' out there assuming that there are no unforeseen issues discovered. It's really good for what it is.

The only issue with the Rainbowers is that the housing hits the ground when the P3 is powered-- and all those counter balance weights have to be removed after use so the gimbal lock will work.

We need one of the 3D printer experts to make some aftermarket leg extensions to raise the Phantom about 1/2 inch-- I know there must be some out there and make a gimbal/camera lock that will work with the counter weights left on.

What are your guys doing in resolving these two issues when using the Rainbowers?

The only issue with the Rainbowers is that the housing hits the ground when the P3 is powered-- and all those counter balance weights have to be removed after use so the gimbal lock will work.

We need one of the 3D printer experts to make some aftermarket leg extensions to raise the Phantom about 1/2 inch-- I know there must be some out there and make a gimbal/camera lock that will work with the counter weights left on.

What are your guys doing in resolving these two issues when using the Rainbowers?

Thanks for pointing out these 2 issues to prospective buyers (including me.)

Someone needs to figure out a gimbal lock that will work with this setup.

I guess the clearance isn't that big of a deal. One just needs to put the Phantom on 2 books (or something else) to lift it during initialization. But a gimbal lock sounds like a complication...

I will receive my set on Tuesday. I have a couple of ideas about gimbal locks and will let you know by Wednesday.

Check reply #98 on this page to see how one of the first owners dealt with gimbal lock issue
The professional filter set for the Phantom 3 | Page 5 | DJI Phantom Forum

img_4194-jpg.31949

Worst case scenario you can remove the Rainbowers' housing, replace it with the OEM UV filter and use any one of the many lens caps/gimbal locks available almost anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers

Hi Bob
I haven't seen any comments about the problem with the housing hitting the ground in any of the threads here. I watched Renaat's video and the only housing contact I saw was when he attached the housing plus the CPL filter. Even then the only contact I saw was with the blanket the P3 was sitting on which was slightly wrinkled. Of course I would expect housing contacts with grass since I already have contacts when using the OEM UV filter or my Polar Pros. Can you link me to a thread or forum where this issue was addressed.
I expect to have some issues with initialization but only because I have a UAVbits carbon fiber gimble/camera guard installed. I expect I will have to do a workaround for that.

Hi Bob
I haven't seen any comments about the problem with the housing hitting the ground in any of the threads here. I watched Renaat's video and the only housing contact I saw was when he attached the housing plus the CPL filter. Even then the only contact I saw was with the blanket the P3 was sitting on which was slightly wrinkled. Of course I would expect housing contacts with grass since I already have contacts when using the OEM UV filter or my Polar Pros. Can you link me to a thread or forum where this issue was addressed.
I expect to have some issues with initialization but only because I have a UAVbits carbon fiber gimble/camera guard installed. I expect I will have to do a workaround for that.
I have the same UAV Bits gimbal/camera guard and it is going to have to be modified and/or shifted back a smidge or get a different type guard with more clearance. I will be experimenting for the best setup-- and will post what I come up with-- you guys with the Rainbowers do the same -- and the final cumulative result will help all.

I have the same UAV Bits gimbal/camera guard and it is going to have to be modified and/or shifted back a smidge or get a different type guard with more clearance. I will be experimenting for the best setup-- and will post what I come up with-- you guys with the Rainbowers do the same -- and the final cumulative result will help all.
When did you get your set?

I've gone with the combination from two makers as I am a little concerned about adding too much weight to the front of the lens.

The first link supplies flat filters that fit under the existing UV filter.
5-pack 1 Polarizer Filter 4 Neutral Density filters for DJI Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced
The second link has filters that screw on replacing the existing UV filter.
DJI Phantom 3 Professional Filter 6-Pack

So between the combination, I can replace the existing UV with a similarly weighted ND or PL, and additionally add in one of the flat filters sandwiched beneath it with little additional weight.

Also have the Snake River Prototype but doubt I will ever use them as they press over the lens and add considerable additional weight.

I've gone with the combination from two makers as I am a little concerned about adding too much weight to the front of the lens.

The first link supplies flat filters that fit under the existing UV filter.
5-pack 1 Polarizer Filter 4 Neutral Density filters for DJI Phantom 3 Professional/Advanced
The second link has filters that screw on replacing the existing UV filter.
DJI Phantom 3 Professional Filter 6-Pack

So between the combination, I can replace the existing UV with a similarly weighted ND or PL, and additionally add in one of the flat filters sandwiched beneath it with little additional weight.

Also have the Snake River Prototype but doubt I will ever use them as they press over the lens and add considerable additional weight.

I also have the ND and CPL gel filters (from different suppliers) as well as a very cool specialty set of gradient filters (red/orange, blue and ND 4) from Polar Pro ( DJI Phantom 3 Graduated Filter Set) . By stacking the gels under the OEM UV Filter or the Polar pro, I get some very nice results. My problem is that the gels are not rugged enough to withstand constant handling and they clean up very poorly. They are however VERY inexpensive and provide nice results. I was just looking for a more permanent solution. If all works out well with the Rainbowers' set, I will still use the gels with the colored glass in the Polar Pro Set as needed but because of the infrequency of use, I expect the gels to last considerably longer.

Last edited:
I also have the ND and CPL gel filters (from different suppliers) as well as a very cool specialty set of gradient filters (red/orange, blue and ND 4) from Polar Pro ( DJI Phantom 3 Graduated Filter Set) . By stacking the gels under the OEM UV Filter or the Polar pro, I get some very nice results. My problem is that the gels are not rugged enough to withstand constant handling and they clean up very poorly. They are however VERY inexpensive and provide nice results. I was just looking for a more permanent solution. If all works out well with the Rainbowers' set, I will still use the gels with the colored glass in the Polar Pro Set as needed but because of the infrequency of use, I expect the gels to last considerably longer.
Do you use the filters for pictures or mostly for video?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Do you use the filters for pictures or mostly for video?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have not yet received my Rainbowers set. The ones I discussed however I use primarily for video, although I have experimented with them for stills.

Have a look at Snake River Prototyping, I use an ND8, great results, no jello or prop interference when flying into sun, deep saturated colours.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl