Best Flying Tip Ever

Yes and No no no.... It is not just %50 more power as stated earlier in thread. Yes, increase back and decrease front to create the higher pitch. But its not a matter of just increasing all motor speeds.

Its a pendulum balancing act with rears speeding up and fronts decreasing. Overall once 25% is met, the motors balance out the rpms to maintain that pitch.

The other factor as stated is altitude. The quad will then speed up or slow down in an attempt to maintain 25% pitch and altitude. This is why altitude bleed is seen when heading straight into wind. It can not speed the motors up fast enough to maintain height while head wind is shearing across the top of the tilted quad. Altitude bleed is not noticed under slight tailwind.

Well I may have discovered some sad news based on what I just read on what Damon and a couple others posted. I took a gopro helmet attachment and put it on the center point of the top cover. Then using fishing string I raised the quad up to check visual alignment. What I came up with was if standing behind the quad as if looking at the battery, the left arm to the left of the battery was at least a 1/4 inch lower. I have a feeling if I used something smaller with less surface area that 1/4 inch would have been even greater.

If looking for additional speed this is something should be looked into.

Attachments

• 1vp1.jpg
    1vp1.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 281
Not all motors, increasing the back only, they get more throttle and push while the ones at the front act subsequently to get the best angle for a given thrust in the relation with the props angle of attack.
the 50% you mention are actually related to the general power allowed to the phantom in RTH mode. I don't think it uses 100% in RTH. Also, I don't think that there is any airspeed sensor on the phantom to inform the controller, but I may be wrong on that.

flyNfrank said:
Well I may have discovered some sad news based on what I just read on what Damon and a couple others posted. I took a gopro helmet attachment and put it on the center point of the top cover. Then using fishing string I raised the quad up to check visual alignment. What I came up with was if standing behind the quad as if looking at the battery, the left arm to the left of the battery was at least a 1/4 inch lower. I have a feeling if I used something smaller with less surface area that 1/4 inch would have been even greater.

If looking for additional speed this is something should be looked into.

Even if the arms are not at the same height the controller will (should) keep it level anyway.

I honestly think sergekouper and I are on the same page, just a wording issue on my part.

Damon said:
I honestly think sergekouper and I are on the same page, just a wording issue on my part.

I think I realise that too... :)

I figured it would level itself, but at this point we know which motor gets the most workout. I just came in from 4 attempts at getting a higher mph since I had a 4-6mph tailwind. It's not dark here yet and I had a hard time following by eye which is what I like to do when doing the mph thing. So I will have to wait and check my data here in the next hour. I really don't think I made it in the 60mph range, but did glance once and saw the upper 50's, again.

Your going to need a STRONG tailwind to hit 60+ mph. I would guess around 8-10 meter per sec tail wind combined with the quads speed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20