Best 8" Display for P4 Pro

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I got an nVidia Shield tablet, figuring that would be the fastest tablet and would handle the video from my Phantoms well and it has. However, nVidia hasn't upgraded the tablet with a new model since. Would love to receive advice on your opinion of the best tablet to use for the P4 Pro. I didn't go with the P4 Pro built-in display because of it's small size. I really don't want to go less than 8" And connectivity reliability, including smooth video performance during flight and screen brightness are important factors to me. If Apple's the way to go in your opinion, I'm open. Advice would be appreciated.

The Nvidia Shield K1 is still a great device for DJI GO. If you're interested in moving to an Apple device, the iPad Mini 4 or iPad Pro are good choices. Any of the Apple devices listed here will work though.

The Nvidia Shield K1 does work well with the DJI Go App, and it has HDMI out so you can use it with a standard controller (not the +) and export video to goggles or other monitor. But it has some serious limitations.

First, the battery life is extremely short, you'll have to charge often, I estimate 2.5 times as often as an iPad based on my own devices (I have both). I recommend buying the DJI USB Charge Hub, which will let you charge the Shield tablet off your DJI batteries. So after you finish your first flight, use what energy is left in your flight battery to recharge the tablet while you move to your next location... etc. The Hub is like $14, plus you have to buy the cable for the type of battery you are using (P2-3, or P4) since they have different connectors, which is another $6. I ordered directly from the DJI store and had it in 5 days.

Second, the screen is nowhere near bright enough to use outdoors in mid-day, so you have to have some sort of hood (not that uncommon). A small hood is not enough, you almost need something that completely blocks light to really see it mid-day. It's fine at dusk and dawn, but still not great.

Third, the screen is super reflective, so you have to wear dark colors or all you'll see is your own reflection... it's almost mirror-like. It requires an anti-reflective screen protector, like the one from Mr. Shield on Amazon. That's an inexpensive fix, like $10 for a set of three screen protectors.

Fourth, the Shield K1 HDMI output is not a standard format. It exports 1280x800 instead of the standard 1280x720. I bought it with the intention of using it with my Fatshark Transformer goggles, but the Transformers don't recognize the odd 1280x800 HDMI format. So the shield is essentially useless to me since I generally fly FPV. You can't get close to things in your shot at all with a super dim screen like the K1, it's too risky. I did get the Shield to work with my friend's Fatshark HD2 goggles, although that squishes the picture to a 4:3 aspect rather than the 16:10 of the Shield. So I had to purchase the HDMI output module for the DJI transmitter, which I'm waiting to receive. That should export a standard 720p signal to use in my Transformers, effectively negating the one reason I went with the Shield's over a better tablet: the HDMI output.

Really, the biggest issue for me is the screen brightness. I'm anxiously looking forward to the CrystalSky monitors and am PRAYING that they price them affordably.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav