Beginner mode

Reaction score
I know beginner mode limits the distance and altitude that the drone can travel, but are there other limitations when in this mode? Just trying to figure out how best to acclimate myself to the controls. At present, I am just using the drone in the back yard at low altitude as I practice how to maneuver in different situations.

With the P3S, all controls work the same in Beginner mode as they do in regular mode. Beginner mode just limits distance.

Thanks chief. I didn't find any info other than distance mentioned in the manual so wasn't sure. Thanks again.

Another limitation is that it does not allow you start the motors if you do not have a good GPS connection.

Another limitation is that it does not allow you start the motors if you do not have a good GPS connection.

Good to know. So far, I have had good GPS signal each time I have use it, so has not yet been an issue.

One warning about backyard flying. Be aware of your RTH settings, and how far your drone is from you. Even in beginner mode, if the drone is more than 65ft. away, and goes RTH for any reason, it will do a complete RTH, if you have it set that way. It will ascend to the set RTH height. Could be a bad thing in a small yard with trees and such. OTOH, at less than 65ft, the drone will just land straight down where it is. Don't want to be over a bush at the time. Ha! Good Flying.

One warning about backyard flying. Be aware of your RTH settings, and how far your drone is from you. Even in beginner mode, if the drone is more than 65ft. away, and goes RTH for any reason, it will do a complete RTH, if you have it set that way. It will ascend to the set RTH height. Could be a bad thing in a small yard with trees and such. OTOH, at less than 65ft, the drone will just land straight down where it is. Don't want to be over a bush at the time. Ha! Good Flying.
Or over your fireplace chimney.

Also, it doesn't land exactly where it took off. I think within 7 feet or so? I learned this the hard way on my first backyard test flight. In RTH about 10 feet off the ground, I panicked to move it away from the grill and ended up running it into the fence and then my toe. Thank goodness I had the prop guards installed or it would have been a bad day.

Last edited:
Also, it doesn't land exactly where it took off. I think within 7 feet or so? I learned this the hard way on my first backyard test flight. In RTH about 10 feet off the ground, I panicked to move it away from the grill and ended up running it into the fence and then my toe. Thank goodness I had the prop guards installed or it would have been a bad day.
The sooner you get out of your backyard and out into the open area the better. You will find everything is much easier when you have some space and not worried about objects being so close. Not to mention all the Wi-Fi interference that you're going to have in a neighborhood that can mess with your drones connection.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Flying in the confines of your back yard is great for honeing your fine flying skills but try to find a large clear area to learn to fly without worry of hitting something. :)

Avoid using RTH unless you need the drone to fly back to re-establish visual orientation. Then take over and land it manually. The Standard is not well known for great GPS accuracy. Before I stopped showing it off to people I was lucky if it RTH 15 to 22 feet from home point. In my small back yard that's the difference between it landing on my garage roof or in my neighbor's pool.

Fortunately, you can make adjustments to position, forward/backward, left/right, as the drone comes down in RTH. If the drone won't return to the exact take off spot, you can move the drone to where you want it to be.

Reactions: Shadow P3
I am glad that I have started to learn in the smallish back yard of our rental house. It has made me more conscience of my surroundings as well as aid me in learning how to adjust quickly as to not crash. The only time the drone has stumbled was when I used the auto land feature and it all of a sudden skirted down the yard a good ten feet and tried to land, doing a somersault. I haven't used the auto land or take off feature since then, and everything has been great. I have really learned how to fly it in the confines of this yard.

Reactions: Shadow P3
The sooner you get out of your backyard and out into the open area the better. You will find everything is much easier when you have some space and not worried about objects being so close. Not to mention all the Wi-Fi interference that you're going to have in a neighborhood that can mess with your drones connection.

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app
So true! So after the first day, I went to the beach and a huge regional park. Much better/cooler videos, less signal interference (in the backyard, I could only get it a couple hundred feet before signal interference, in the open, I got to about 1500 feet before I decided to turn around on my own), and no neighbors/privacy issues to deal with (yet). I almost got a P4 but in the end I'm glad I went with the P3. It's a respectable machine that leaves me awed every time I fly it.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic