Battery storage

I´m bidding on a auction for crashed Phantom 3 Adv. I do not care about AC much, but seller has nice case and 3 batteries with it. As the crash occurred 2017 autumn it is safe to assume, that nobody charged the batteries meanwhile. So over a year storage time. Now reading all this above made me wonder if it is a good idea to pay some money for it and gamble or not. Has anybody lost they battery for long term storage?

Long term storage at levels outside of 40-60% will degrade capacity and thus flight time.
Even a compromised battery can charge fully but will exhibit short to nearly no flight time.

Reactions: skymonkey
Due to a variety of causes I didn't get to fly in the last five months. I have 4 batteries and left one in the drone during that time.

When I went to charge the batteries last week, the one that was in the drone was completely dead and will not charge. The other three still had a small charge and charged up fully without issue.

Conclusion; leaving a battery in the drone for an extended period is a no-no, as per the DJI manual. Expensive lesson learned.

Just to labour a point .... I am not talking contacts - my thoughts are more on the electronics themselves.

Second - the most common cause of puffing of a pack is not due to allowing discharge below safe levels, in fact that should not swell a pack at all unless done at excessively high discharge rate. The reason a pack swells is due to too high a discharge rate causing heat increase. That heat increase causes expansion.

quote: Your suggestion that swelling of cells may prove to be an issue is worthy of consideration however a pack that swells to the extent it might prevent removal suggests it probably shouldn’t be relied on as a flight pack

I did not advise anyone to use a pack that has swollen such it cannot be removed. How would you get it in anyway ?
My pack that has tiny increase inserts and removes and provides same good performance as when new. I also monitor the pack as I have the 'tools' to do that.
I'll need to disagree with your Li-Po Discharge below safe levels statement. I've had a few Li-Po batteries puff up like a balloon and cracked the case when left in a R/C transmitter left ON for a few days by mistake.
Since then I never leave Li-Pos in R/C Transmitters, Planes, Multi-Rotors/Drones or any electronic equipment stored just by practicing common sense.
How hard is it to remove the battery from a DJI Drone ??? Better safe than sorry....IMO

Jerry

Wonder how long drones/batteries are stored by sellers, I purchased a new drone 4pro+ a while back the battery that came with was DOA, seller replaced, that batt was DOA, bought one from bestbuy locally and works great. Not sure if stored/shipped exposed to over heating, the seller is in northwest area of US so not a hot region, although wet.
I also bought a after market to test since was a lot cheaper so far works great too. the batt came with the drone is slightly puffy feeling on top and bottom but barely, the replacement that does not work is not but neither has no lights will not charge.

is it worth trying to get DJI to replace the batteries that are dead ? what are any experiences doing so, shipping, etc.

Also, how much a problem is there with DOA batteries from DJI ? wondering if handing, storage for too long before purchase here in the US ?

Do you know about the "Hibernation mode" that the DJI batteries will go into...IF they are left in storage for a long time "

yes I know about the hibernation mode, that looks like what is happening ?
but not finding any real resolution other than replacement
Is there some way to get out of hibernation mode or are they toast for sure

My main concern is how many times I see this issue posted so often, and two batteries in a row from same source has this issue, was wondering also how big a problem this is ?

Also like to know if any issues with anyone using third party batteries, got one from powerextra I think is the name ?
the DJI battery that actually works great was from Best buy, but the price is ridiculous and just afraid to order online, I actually tested the battery bought at best buy before leaving the store.

yes I know about the hibernation mode, that looks like what is happening ?
but not finding any real resolution other than replacement
Is there some way to get out of hibernation mode or are they toast for sure

My main concern is how many times I see this issue posted so often, and two batteries in a row from same source has this issue, was wondering also how big a problem this is ?

Also like to know if any issues with anyone using third party batteries, got one from powerextra I think is the name ?
the DJI battery that actually works great was from Best buy, but the price is ridiculous and just afraid to order online, I actually tested the battery bought at best buy before leaving the store.
If your batteries go into hibernation, by simply charging them, they will wake up.

I wouldn't trust an after market battery. You don't know what type of QC they undergo.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Just how in the whole world were you able to test a Brand new battery at Best Buy before you left the store ?

If your batteries go into hibernation, by simply charging them, they will wake up.

I wouldn't trust an after market battery. You don't know what type of QC they undergo.

To exit hibernation mode ...

1. Switch on battery - IGNORE lights.
2. DO NOT TOUCH button again ...
3. Leave battery for at least 5 minutes
4. DO NOT TOUCH button at all ...
5. Plug in charger - must be a DJI charger
6. LEAVE it alone ... do not touch button at all.

It can take minutes or hours to wake up - you may see strange lights come on ... you may not ... LEAVE IT ALONE.

If it doesn't wake up after a day on the charger - its ****** !

If you make error in any of the steps above ... Then put battery aside for about 20 mins ... then repeat as above.

Fair enough ... but I can tell you that we have about 10 DJI in our club and average of 3 batterys per unit. Only 10 batterys are OEM. The other 20 are 3rd party and not one has failed or given any problem / different to the OEM. In fact the only battery failure we have had is an original DJI !!

Don't forget also that DJI do not manufacture the batterys - they are sub contracted licenced production from 3 non DJI factories.

[QUOTE = "solentlife, publicación: 1438369, miembro: 74422"]
Bastante justo ... pero puedo decirles que tenemos alrededor de 10 DJI en nuestro club y un promedio de 3 baterías por unidad. Solo 10 baterías son OEM. Los otros 20 son de terceros y ninguno ha fallado o dado ningún problema / diferente al OEM. De hecho, el único fallo de batería que hemos tenido es un DJI original.

No olvide también que DJI no fabrica las baterías; son producción con licencia subcontratada de 3 fábricas que no son de DJI.
[/CITAR]

@solentlife NOT original battery that you can recommend, if you have a link I will be grateful. Regards

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20