BATTERY ISSUES (Early Autoland)??? POST HERE

J.James said:
Well the big problem with the "smart" battery's on board circuit is that they have a cell protection circuit in them. Which is a BIG TIME no no to do on any battery thats meant to go in to any thing that flys. its fine to have in a battery that runs some thing like a flash light were if the charge protection circuit cuts off the cell its not going to cause some thing to do a swan dive.

But there not so smart charge circuitry will cut off power going to or from any cell that ever fails below or ever goes over a certain cut off point. Some times if a battery is cut off if its just a tiny bit to high and triggers the cut off. It can repair its self if the battery self discharges over time and falls below the cut off voltage and then the circuit will again start letting power in or out of the cut off cell. BUT if it fails below the low cut off point there is not a thing you can do to get enough power back in to get the blocked cell changed. With out havering to open up the battery and charge the blocked cell up enough to get the protection circuit to unblock and then allow power to go to the cell again when charging.

BUT the people havering problems with all there battery's or getting non dji battery warnings. That's caused by some thing completely different and will even start happening to people that have the newer battery's with the square data pads . eventually. Its not the shape of the pad that is the problem and thus dji changing the pad will not change the cause of the problem. What is happening to them is over time they get an oxide layer on them and being the data pins are very low voltage and also very very very low amperage it dont take much dirt or oxide to causes them to stop making good contact and conducting to the data pins esp if some one still has the older round ended pins. and even they dont always ensure that you will always have a good electrical connection on the pads if the points dont scratch threw the oxide layer and make a good conductive path for the data pins. The pins and the pads need to be keep clean esp the pins if its happening on all of some ones battery's The pins also are just brass and dont even have a gold plating on them like the battery's pads do. So they will tend to get oxide on the pins more so then the battery's pads can. There is a very good product made for not only cleaning low volt and low amp contacts that also puts a protective conductive coating on them as well. Its called deox-it contact cleaner and restorer. Its great stuff and should be applied to the data pads on all the batterys and the pins every few battery's you run threw and also before ever planing on not using the battery's for a long time and also a good idea to use it if you are going to fly and have not done so in a long time. Its also great stuff to use on any low power plugs to make sure they have and keep having good contact and stay conductive. Sence I have been using it I have not had any more lost contact with the data pins or getting any false non dji battery warnings. I also some times do contract network installs and repairs and we have also started using deox-it on just about any low voltage plug to make sure we have no contact problems or data flow problems from dirty or old network plugs. ITS GREAT stuff I would put it in my coffee in the morning if a tiny 2ml bottle was not $9 :)
BTW even a tiny 2ml sweeze tube GOES A LONG LONG LONG way. and a bigger bottle thats about the size of a bottle of nail polish and up wards of about 18-25 bucks would last a life time.

We used contact cleaner, a lot, when I was working. I don't recall that brand being out then, but we did switch to another product that accomplished the same thing.

Well designed plugs should have a wiping action that helps to reduce oxidation. Apparently, these are not.

We used contact cleaner, a lot, when I was working. I don't recall that brand being out then, but we did switch to another product that accomplished the same thing.

Well designed plugs should have a wiping action that helps to reduce oxidation. Apparently, these are not.

The 2 main power plugs do seem to wipe them selves and I haven't heard of any one having any problems with not being able to get good connection on the 2 big flat blades ever causing any thing such as having the battery definitely turned on but not haveing the phantom come on.

But them data pins have no wipeing action whats so ever and just barely press up against the two pads with very little force. I did some testing in the spring and got my micrometers out and when sliding the battery in. From the time they first contact the data pads and when the battery is all the way in were it cant press any harder is only about 1/32 to 1/64th of an inch or so. WHen the battery is pushed in as far as it will go. So it hardly even compressed the springs on them pins much at all. If they just made them pins so they stuck out even just 1 or 2 mm longer they would have a lot more force to press them pins up against the pads. and would at least help with the. data pin connection problem more then then just changing to a square pad would. esp being it dont matter to electric what shape pad is. It could care less even if they were triangles and they only make contact in the spot the pins touch any way. Tho the big problem that still remains is there use of a protected circuit on the internal board. Cutting off peoples cells and killing battery's causing the low battery auto lands or auto crashes when they think they have a full batty that is only running on 2 cells and only putting out a bit over 7 to 9 volts of power when its fully charged. and that stupid % of life is ridicules to being it does not in any way relate to if the battery is health or not and it just ticks off one full percent every 3 charges regardless if if the battery is very well taken care of and completely still in good shape or not after 300 charge cycles that counter is going to say zero % life left. Or you could have one thats toast and only 3 charges on it and it will say its got 99% of its life left.

They seem like people I know that think they are really smart just cause they went to collage but never learned any thing or have no common sence. lol

Re: 25%-40% Battery Warning and Auto Descend??

erico said:
I am getting the exact same problem. Yesterday I took out my Phantom 2 to test both my batteries as I felt I was not getting the same flight time as before and that the auto landing was kicking in as around 30% . I was not any hard flying but just hovering around myself so I could see exactly when the auto landing was kicking in . One of my batteries I only got 8 mins flight time and the iosd mini display was showing 46% . I tried to use my control to keep it up but it went up for about 20 secs and then started to land so I picked my spot . The other battery I got a longer flight time of 12 mins and it started to land after about 30 %. I am sure I was getting a lot more before but I have only still about 20 flight tests so I was unsure if I was making any mistakes.
I have contacted DJI support and they have contacted me back asking the actual % when the autolanding kicked in so I have returned the email and wait their response .

I was thinking of going back from 3.04 to 1.8 to see if it makes any difference of if DJi tell me its a battery problem .?

The only thing I can see is that the battery that gives me less flight time has cell 2 with less voltage .

Battery threshold levels can no longer be set. Why?

5 Days ago battery failed for me. While flying at 9min mark app gave warning of low battery. Phantom flashing all red and I had no control. Was able to run under it to hand catch. Battery had slight puffiness. This battery had around 7 cycles. Contacted DJI , had to nag them more than once within 48hrs. Took them 3 days to respond to an email. Said if battery was under 3 months they would RMA. They should know since I purchased PV2+ with 2 batteries straight from them. My battery was over 3 months so will not be getting replaced by them. Ordered a new battery from an authorized dealer and asked was his batteries old stock because of the issues they have. He was unaware of any issues with these batteries. Yea OK. Could the battery firmware have anything to do with this? Just curious cuz I did my battery firmware update and now have a battery that is no good.

Mine also started to auto land early (on 2 batteries) after I did a firmware upgrade. Never had any issues prior to this. I don't think this is coincidence.

J.James said:

The 2 main power plugs do seem to wipe them selves and I haven't heard of any one having any problems with not being able to get good connection on the 2 big flat blades ever causing any thing such as having the battery definitely turned on but not haveing the phantom come on.

But them data pins have no wipeing action whats so ever and just barely press up against the two pads with very little force. I did some testing in the spring and got my micrometers out and when sliding the battery in. From the time they first contact the data pads and when the battery is all the way in were it cant press any harder is only about 1/32 to 1/64th of an inch or so. WHen the battery is pushed in as far as it will go. So it hardly even compressed the springs on them pins much at all. If they just made them pins so they stuck out even just 1 or 2 mm longer they would have a lot more force to press them pins up against the pads. and would at least help with the. data pin connection problem more then then just changing to a square pad would. esp being it dont matter to electric what shape pad is. It could care less even if they were triangles and they only make contact in the spot the pins touch any way. Tho the big problem that still remains is there use of a protected circuit on the internal board. Cutting off peoples cells and killing battery's causing the low battery auto lands or auto crashes when they think they have a full batty that is only running on 2 cells and only putting out a bit over 7 to 9 volts of power when its fully charged. and that stupid % of life is ridicules to being it does not in any way relate to if the battery is health or not and it just ticks off one full percent every 3 charges regardless if if the battery is very well taken care of and completely still in good shape or not after 300 charge cycles that counter is going to say zero % life left. Or you could have one thats toast and only 3 charges on it and it will say its got 99% of its life left.

They seem like people I know that think they are really smart just cause they went to collage but never learned any thing or have no common sence. lol

ok so if I buy DEox like i plan on doing due to your post, Where is this data cable you are taking about that i need to lubricate if its not the battery pins themselves the red and black. you mention those pins are self cleaning but the data pins are behind? I'm not fully understanding what exactly your research has found, but i really want to know because it seems like you know your shiznit. :mrgreen: :ugeek: :geek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

The data pins for the battery are them two tiny spring loaded pins that stick out just below the two big flat brass colored blades in the battery bay.
dji-p2-06-big.jpg
and the two contacts they press up against to get the data from the battery are the two contacts on your battery's next to the holes the two flat blades go in to. Depending on what version battery you have they will either be 2 round gold dots on an older battery and on a newer batterys. They are 2 square contacts. here is a pic that shows the location on the battery that I found in another threat on the board.
PB_zpse6192640.png.html

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29194&start=10

J.James said:
The data pins for the battery are them two tiny spring loaded pins that stick out just below the two big flat brass colored blades in the battery bay.
dji-p2-06-big.jpg
and the two contacts they press up against to get the data from the battery are the two contacts on your battery's next to the holes the two flat blades go in to. Depending on what version battery you have they will either be 2 round gold dots on an older battery and on a newer batterys. They are 2 square contacts. here is a pic that shows the location on the battery that I found in another threat on the board.
PB_zpse6192640.png.html

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=29194&start=10

Got it thank you. So just so im clear use the deox on phantom or battery to prevent corrosion

Got it thank you. So just so im clear use the deox on phantom or battery to prevent corrosion

Use it on both the pins and the 2 contacts that the data pins touch on each battery you have. and if you want you can also use it on the 2 big big blades to. Tho thats not as important as the date pins and pads to prevent any false non dji battery issues from popping up. But it still cant hurt to use it on the big blades every once in awhile.

BTW to any one wondering about the new pins dji has that have the crowned heads on them instead of the rounded heads.

I happened to swap mine out last night and I also noticed they DID also make the pins a tiny about 1mm longer and seem to have more spring tension in them as well. SO they do actually press up harder then the old style pins. SO THAT IS A GOOD THING. In addishion to them also havering a sharper end with the crowns.

id like to perform this mod, can you post a how to?

are you asking about replacing the old style battery connector to the new style with the crowned data pins?

Thats a pretty easy mod but is a big pain in the butt. But it basically involves having to unscrew your main board and the escs and motors to get to the battery connecters 2 screws then you take out the old connector and desolder the two main power wires from the main board and also you need to remove the white silicone around the plug that has the two thin wires that go to the data pins on the connector and unplug the data wires. Then you solder in the new one and plug in the data wires to the power connector and them move the board and escs back in to place then put your screws back for the board escs and the motors. I also just ran in to a video a few minutes ago that shows how to do it to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4dKHP7dIyg

But keep in mind that this involves haveing to solder the new wires in place to the main board and you have to make sure you do that right cause thats not an area you want a bad solder joint. You could alternative cut your wires and stip them back some and solder splice in the new connectors wires and cover them with good shrink wrap if you dont want to solder on the board.

in my case I already happen to be doing a main board replacement. so I decided to use the spare new style plug i happened to have on hand while I already had every thing apart. Other wise i was not planing on pulling every thing apart just to swap out to the new one.

The hardest part is finding a place that sells the new style ones and being sure thats what you are getting so you dont get one of the old ones. But here is a place I just found that has them http://www.rangevideo.com/phantom-2-spa ... p2p2v.html and helipal has them to. http://www.helipal.com/djip2-06-dji-pha ... oCFMLw_wcB

J.James said:
id like to perform this mod, can you post a how to?

are you asking about replacing the old style battery connector to the new style with the crowned data pins?

Thats a pretty easy mod but is a big pain in the butt. But it basically involves having to unscrew your main board and the escs and motors to get to the battery connecters 2 screws then you take out the old connector and desolder the two main power wires from the main board and also you need to remove the white silicone around the plug that has the two thin wires that go to the data pins on the connector and unplug the data wires. Then you solder in the new one and plug in the data wires to the power connector and them move the board and escs back in to place then put your screws back for the board escs and the motors. I also just ran in to a video a few minutes ago that shows how to do it to. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4dKHP7dIyg

But keep in mind that this involves haveing to solder the new wires in place to the main board and you have to make sure you do that right cause thats not an area you want a bad solder joint. You could alternative cut your wires and stip them back some and solder splice in the new connectors wires and cover them with good shrink wrap if you dont want to solder on the board.

in my case I already happen to be doing a main board replacement. so I decided to use the spare new style plug i happened to have on hand while I already had every thing apart. Other wise i was not planing on pulling every thing apart just to swap out to the new one.

The hardest part is finding a place that sells the new style ones and being sure thats what you are getting so you dont get one of the old ones. But here is a place I just found that has them http://www.rangevideo.com/phantom-2-spa ... p2p2v.html and helipal has them to. http://www.helipal.com/djip2-06-dji-pha ... oCFMLw_wcB

I appreciate everything you explained, if i ever replace my main board i will do this, I like that new car smell right now with my phantom lol.

On a side note Im convinced you either A.) work or previously worked for DJI or B.) you own a repair center or lastly C.) your an engineer ..

Am I right? :lol:

On a side note Im convinced you either A.) work or previously worked for DJI or B.) you own a repair center or lastly C.) your an engineer ..

lol Well Its almost as if I have my own private repair center for the 2 phantoms I have both of which have been completely rebuilt one part at a time and some others i have repaired. Tho not as much of an engineer and more just a tinkerer/gadget hacker/ crazy/ mad scientist. Which I noticed these drones tend to cause me to need to draw on all my skill sets and unpaid expertise quite a lot. Even when I was a kid I was the one that by new years already had most my toys from Christmas pulled apart to see what made them tick or how to make them better or fix them. Seems that now that I'm a 42 year old kid Im still doing that to my toys.

Just ran into this early auto-land today. I posted in the Phantom 2 Vision section. My phone app (Android version) showed 70% but all of a sudden it showed it in RED. Huh? 70% in RED? And it was landing - RIGHT THERE. Anyone having this issue might like to look at my post in the Phantom Vision forum titled "I can't figure out this problem".

Hi All...I to, have recently, have being having"uncontrollably" auto landings during flight...even with new battery (6 flights).
Now I always doubted the data pins SO have moded my copter and batteries so that the data connection is
now external to the copter (with a decent plug and socket)..Just tried again today (with the 6 flight battery) and half way through normal flight it came down fairly fast..I was not able to overide till it hit the deck then was able to control and land normally...
With the data pins eliminated from the cause it definitely points towards battery issues and how the software controls same...
Have had my quad since last April and have had no issues with sudden landing (except when battery hit auto land at 15% ish) so this "new DJI feature" is a little
more than a worry!!
Cheers...Francis (New Zealand).

mine gives 1st level warning a 25%-35% then 2nd level like 30 seconds later, then auto-lands 10 seconds after that. Very short intervals to try and bring her home

francisb said:
Hi All...I to, have recently, have being having"uncontrollably" auto landings during flight...even with new battery (6 flights).
Now I always doubted the data pins SO have moded my copter and batteries so that the data connection is
now external to the copter (with a decent plug and socket)..Just tried again today (with the 6 flight battery) and half way through normal flight it came down fairly fast..I was not able to overide till it hit the deck then was able to control and land normally...
With the data pins eliminated from the cause it definitely points towards battery issues and how the software controls same...
Have had my quad since last April and have had no issues with sudden landing (except when battery hit auto land at 15% ish) so this "new DJI feature" is a little
more than a worry!!
Cheers...Francis (New Zealand).

Anyone experienced these auto landings with another brand of battery....like the LimeFuel?

I had the problem with four batteries.

I sent back all the four to DJI through the local R/C shop where I bought them and I have four new batteries.

Two months to get them back.

Cheers.

TheFaultCraft said:
mine gives 1st level warning a 25%-35% then 2nd level like 30 seconds later, then auto-lands 10 seconds after that. Very short intervals to try and bring her home

Today I almost lost my P2. I wasn't able to land between first and second warning. Auto landing started in the middle of the river. I was able to switch into manual mode, but I've crashed on near bridge. Zenmuse is damadged :| . I know I have luck. I haven't lost whole setup, but i will have to buy new parts ;-/.

Second thought is that, if I was able to fly P2 in manual mode, I would propably perform clean landing...

Update.
After charging, battery is swollen. I guess it was damadged durng crash too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor