battery info with airdata

Reaction score
yesterday I checked my battery info on airdata and this is what it showed

today I recharged the same battery and had a flight and while flying I kept checking battery info on my tablet, there was hardly any deviation between cells but later when I checked on airdata I got almost the same result, the battery has only had 16 charges so now I'm going to run it down to 8% and give it a full charge, will this sort out the problem?,

at the bottom of the info it says that "all good no major deviations were found" ???
Capture.PNG

I get a similar result all the time, always cell4, I ignore it, and have had 85 flights out of the battery.
Not sure the deep discharge is any longer recommended, but I have done this once on a long distance flight which I underestimated, and landed with 8%, still got the same result on airdata.

I get a similar result all the time, always cell4, I ignore it, and have had 85 flights out of the battery.
Not sure the deep discharge is any longer recommended, but I have done this once on a long distance flight which I underestimated, and landed with 8%, still got the same result on airdata.

thanks for your reply that does encourage me to carry on using it without fear of it dropping from the sky.
strange thing is 3 flights ago all dials were at almost zero, it's only the last 2 flights that this has come up.
cheers Ray

That was No 1 battery, I've just checked No 2 and it's saying No 4 cell is showing the same as No 1 battery, again the last flight was zero on all dials.

No 3 battery is showing all dials at zero
I wonder if this is a problem with airdata?

Last edited:
Reactions: Phantom100flyer
I believe in real world testing in a safe environment. A few years ago there were scares with phantoms falling out of the skies because the software shut down the power due to loads on the batteries. Fixed in later editions - sometimes you will see the screen come up with a notification that output power is limited - that's a direct result of this. I decided that I would need to learn about battery performance as a result.

You can switch on the screen to display all the battery voltages (which is the most important thing). The go out into a big field and try loading the batteries up and watch the voltage drops on each individual cell. You can do this by flying straight up at full throttle, or both sticks full up - lots of variations. Testing like this will provide you with much more real world information than those (IMHO useless) dials that healthy drones put out. I now fly not at full throttle, but at about 90% to preserve voltage and almost have the same performance when I want to get somewhere in a hurry. But do your own testing.

Reactions: Numone and JoBe
Relax and enjoy, anything under 70mv in cell imbalance within the pack is generally accepted as being nothing to worry about. For unknown reasons the phantom packs seem to show cell4 low, all mine do.

I get the same and for what its worth I had a low voltage issue... This is when I done a litchi flight and had no control lol. That happened twice but no problems and the cell on the battery is always the same as yours more or less

yesterday I checked my battery info on airdata and this is what it showed

today I recharged the same battery and had a flight and while flying I kept checking battery info on my tablet, there was hardly any deviation between cells but later when I checked on airdata I got almost the same result, the battery has only had 16 charges so now I'm going to run it down to 8% and give it a full charge, will this sort out the problem?,

at the bottom of the info it says that "all good no major deviations were found" ???
View attachment 86472
Is airdata the same as healthy drones? If so, I thought I read it wasn't accurate for checking batteries.

Is airdata the same as healthy drones? If so, I thought I read it wasn't accurate for checking batteries.
You may have read that. It might be argued that some of the features, i.e distance per battery, flight time etc, aren't accurate in some cases however the raw data dipicted is taken directly from the DJI (or third party app) log file. It is what it is an seems correct to the extent it agrees with that depicted in phantomhelp log viewer for a given flight.

Reactions: JoBe
You may have read that. It might be argued that some of the features, i.e distance per battery, flight time etc, aren't accurate in some cases however the raw data dipicted is taken directly from the DJI (or third party app) log file. It is what it is an seems correct to the extent it agrees with that depicted in phantomhelp log viewer for a given flight.
But I read that it has set too low of a limit for balance? Then the cells show as red when they are still fine. Can it be trusted over the dji app?

It is common for one cell to show varying results in temperature ... voltage after use ... etc. Why ?

Look at a LiPo pack. It is made up of cells stacked and wrapped. This then then means that heat generation when in use causes inner cells to get hotter than the outers. But why would cell 4 give such difference if its an outer cell ?
Heat causes cells to resist power draw - its a vicious circle of demand creating heat, heat resisting demand ... so any cell that is running cooler will be drawn harder. If its Cell 1 or 4 is pot luck in theory but often its cell 4 that gets the demand.

OK - deep discharge ? Basically a wasted effort and actually if not done carefully can create even greater problem ... even the DJI Intelligent Battery Safety Guide has REMOVED the Deep Discharge suggestion. But the general manuals haven't been updated yet.

Nigel

Reactions: JoBe
It is common for one cell to show varying results in temperature ... voltage after use ... etc. Why ?

Look at a LiPo pack. It is made up of cells stacked and wrapped. This then then means that heat generation when in use causes inner cells to get hotter than the outers. But why would cell 4 give such difference if its an outer cell ?
Heat causes cells to resist power draw - its a vicious circle of demand creating heat, heat resisting demand ... so any cell that is running cooler will be drawn harder. If its Cell 1 or 4 is pot luck in theory but often its cell 4 that gets the demand.

OK - deep discharge ? Basically a wasted effort and actually if not done carefully can create even greater problem ... even the DJI Intelligent Battery Safety Guide has REMOVED the Deep Discharge suggestion. But the general manuals haven't been updated yet.

Nigel
Good thoughts. For a while it was always cell 1 in healtyh drones showing red. Now it changed to always showing cell 4. So my question remains, can healthy dronesn be trusted over the go app for seeing when a cell is bad (red)?

It seems healthy drones uses the cell voltages depicted in the log file (without modification) in the battery display screens- you can probably be safe in assuming the voltages are correct subject to any measurement accuracy by the DJI electronics.

Whether the assumptions made by Healthy drones in determining a potential problem is another story.

It is generally accepted that frequent and sustained variations of 70mv or more between lipo cells in a pack is cause for concern.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl