Battery Charger Alteration?

Reaction score
Hi, i inherited my uncles Phantom FC40 and he's added some extra wires to the battery charger cable and to a battery but i'm not sure what it's for, does anyone know what he's done?

A picture of the charger, cable and battery

Drone Charger.JPG

Unsure with fc40 but the battery itself normally charges by the white plug,,whether or not the orange plugs original I not sure unless the fc40 plug was changed at some point,looking at the charger and extra wires I think he thought it might charge mayby,I have not seen that tryed and I have changed and chopped plugs all over rc stuff,,if you haven't tryed to charge I would test with a multimeter to see what's coming out !! Like they say lipos bit on the explosive side if shorted out so I'm suspicious about that,,,hey I might be totally wrong,,see if you can find what original battery look like cause me t,rex runs similar,
Hopefully some chime in when time zone hits and you find out some more,,I'm curious too

Ok me had look and looks like this so it normal ,I'm thinking now he was using 2 batterys on this charger which might explain extra plug
Screenshot_20200818-203711_Google.jpg

Hi ianzone, thank you for your reply, literally yesterday i realised how dangerous lipo batteries can be so i've ordered some new ones to be on the safe side and decided to ask on the forum to see if anyone knew about the charging wires coming from the charger that my uncle had altered and and see what may be going on. He was an electrician, inventor and a clever guy so i trusted that he wouldn't have done anything dangerous so i have charged the battery in the picture using both the cables seen and the battery charged ok i think. I only got a four minute flight from it though and one minute of that was the drone decending itself back to earth, i think it was a safety feature but i knew the battery needed changing. Weight wise the drone had 9 inch props, some prop guards and a GoPro attached.

Anyway one of the plugs from the charger is a Deans T plug and the other is a XT60 plug, both male and on the battery the same plugs but female. The voltages on the plugs from the charger read XT60 is 230.7V and the Deans T plug read 231.7v This is the first time i've used a Multimeter so i think it was volts that i read but the numbers are correct.

The battery which has not been charged since the flight last Friday reads with a battery tester that i received today 11.5v and each of the three cells reads 3.86v. I tried just having the balancer plug and either just the XT60 or the Deans T plug plugged in and they both seem to charge ok

The Overlander plug may have had a Deans T Plug, a JST-XH plug on even an XT60 on them, i've seen photos of them all. I threw the original Phantom battery away and he had one more battery that was swelling and didn't fit in the drone which has also been thrown but that also had the same wire alteration as pictured above.

The only ideas i've come up with as to why there's a wire alteration is, it may charge faster having both the Deans T and the XT60 attached, or maybe it balances faster at the end of the charge having both attached, i don't know

Last edited:
That setup makes complete sense when you have 2 items that can run off the same battery, one has an xt60 and one has deans T plug. Hooking both the xt60 and T plug at the same time should NOT change the speed it would charge, the charge current out of that charger is fixed and won’t change due to that additional mains lead being connected.

Hi, i inherited my uncles Phantom FC40 and he's added some extra wires to the battery charger cable and to a battery but i'm not sure what it's for, does anyone know what he's done?

A picture of the charger, cable and battery

View attachment 119764
It's a Deans that would be used for charging batteries for another vehicle. They are popular with the RC car guys.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers