Battery care

Reaction score
Is there a thread that I may have missed about battery care? I've seen people mention discharging and trickle charging etc. But not sure about how to go about proper care for my batteries to get the best life out of them.

Thanks

Here are a few tips:

1) Completely discharge your batteries after every 20 charges. See the DJI manual for the recommending discharge methods.

2) Don't store your batteries fully charged for 10+ days. If you have the latest battery firmware installed, they should automatically start discharging to a safe level after 10 days. You should double-check them to make sure this is happening -- don't just assume.

3) Keep the battery contacts clean on both the batteries themselves and your Phantom. You can use rubbing alcohol if you just want to clean them -- but, DeoXit cleaner spray is better.

Last edited:
If you plug a battery into the Phantom and then access ther Phantom with Phantom Assist Software you can see how many times the battery had been charged without being drained (though, I'm not 100% what resets that number).

I track my battery usage in an Excel spreadsheet. That definitely will not reset on me :cool:

What's the consensus on the best method to discharge batteries if you are running older firmware? Short of tethering the bird down and just letting it hover inside (which I've done), I'm not sure what the best option is. My batteries have been on the shelf for a few weeks now with the insane cold temperatures we've been getting here in Ontario, and it doesn't look like it's going to relent any time soon.

You can run it down by running the motors with the props on is one way to do it. Tho maybe not the most safe way.

But anther way to do it is to just turn it on and let it sit for a few hours with out the motors running intill its drained to 50%

To discharge my batteries, I made four plastic discs to go under the props and prevent them from generating lift. I put holes in the discs to allow some air flow to pass over the motors and the vents on the Phantom's body to help cool the electronics and motors. Then I let it idle with the motors running, no fear of it taking off inside the house.

I should have made the discs larger, larger than the props diameter. That way it would be less likely for the props to strike curious or careless fingers.

Attachments

• phantom discharging.jpg
    phantom discharging.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 513
fastsmiles, any plans to sell those discs?

Those discs would be real helpful to someone who has younger family member who are curious

I know first hand that those props hurt(BIG TIME)

Forts said:
What's the consensus on the best method to discharge batteries if you are running older firmware?

Got outside and fly the drone. Take some cool videos and/or photos or just have fun flying the drone. Land, change batteries, rinse and repeat. Pretty sure this nails the "best way to drain the batteries" question. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl