Battery Bulging

Reaction score
Just curious to know of those who’ve had their batteries bulge how many hours on battery till bulge and do you know the max temp on battery recorded?

Have had minor swell on new p4 battery, was only after longer than normal flight,all my p3 and p4 batterys get warm ,,airdata says my hottest battery was
20200517_181209.jpg
unsure if correct or not but might using me temp gauge to take note

Reactions: skymonkey
Have had minor swell on new p4 battery, was only after longer than normal flight,all my p3 and p4 batterys get warm ,,airdata says my hottest battery wasView attachment 118696unsure if correct or not but might using me temp gauge to take note

I’ve read that batteries will bulge with time but also have read fairly new batteries beginning to bulge as well. I fly in mostly 80 tp 90 degree weather and one of my batteries was cooking while flying.
I would like to know what factors cause the bulging. None of my batteries show any signs of bulging. Yet!

IMG_0812.jpg

Electrolyte decomposition is supposedly what its called. As the battery ages. It turns back into oxygen and lithium. Apparently. Carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide are get made in there somehow. Pretty sure its the lithium thats flammable. So when the oxygen bubble inside makes it pop. The lithium ignites. I use slightly swollen batteries in my rc truck and small nano drones but dont feel it's safe or smart to fly a big drone with one. In most cases your drones gonna tell you its got a bad battery. My evo had a battery go bad. It will land itself or just wont take off and give a critical battery warning i also dont believe they should be in the hundreds temperature wise maybe high 90s.. I may be wrong. But wouldnt push past 103 anything past 120 is probably damaging the battery at a faster rate. 140 is definitely put on your safety glasses kinda day.. ?

Also would like to say ive had 2 evo batteries go on me one I think because I dropped it. And the other im not sure they had a rough life and i got them pre-owned. But I believe one only has 65 to 70 charges and unless I charged it and use right then I don't believe it hold a good charge. But 2 have gone out on me in that range though i hear its should have more charges than that but idk voltage looks good. its definitely weird

So I guess fairly new LiPO batteries that bulge have probably been dropped or sustained some damage.
It gets into the mid 90 and with humidity the real feel is 105 or higher.
I’ve been monitoring my batteries more now when I fly. I’ll just have to see how much time I’ll get from them.

Reactions: Phoenix One
I have 4 batteries and only one bulged (P4P); it even gets difficult to get it out of the drone. I made a similar question here in this forum and there was no conclusive recommendation: most of them were actually saying it is normal. I will keep an eye in the answers coming up here...

I think its normal to an extent because its what it does naturally as the battery charges and discharges. It decomposes. But if its hard to get in and out of your drone. I dont know if its safe. My batteries lose charge really fast when they go bad. It says 25 mins. And as soon as you out the bird in the air it jumps down to 16 mins then cpunts down really fast
Then 8 mins literally in seconds. Its a scary thing to think you have a full charge and then watch your bird try and land. 2 mins after takeoff. I have a picture of a really bad one ill post Monday. Its at the shop.

I would say just keep and eye on it then. They tend to blow up after a charge usually and will go back down. Use your best judgment and maybe just dont leave the house while they are charging. Or with any dogs around. Once had a friends dog bite one of our lipos charging on the table . Smoked the whole house up. Thought we were in big trouble.. lol

Reactions: droningandmore

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20