Battery bug, or incompetent operator...

Reaction score
Saturday, I took two brand new batteries out for their maiden voyages. After flying the first battery, without incident, I removed said battery, forgetting to power down the AC first. I then installed the second new battery, powered up the drone, and checked the voltage in DJI Go before arming the motors. To my horror, I watched the screen as the "battery percentage" quickly, and steadily dropped. After powering down the drone, and powering back up, the same thing occurred. During either instance, the voltage read the same (not dropping as indicated by "battery percentage"). Finally, I powered down both the AC, and the app/RC. Upon power up, all was well, and the subsequent flight was uneventful. I'm completely unsure of why this occurred, and hope I didn't damage a brand new battery. In any case, this can serve as an FYI to always power down the AC before removing a battery.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'd mark and carefully watch that battery. Odds are it was an issue with not powering down properly but you really, I mean REALLY don't want to play around with a faulty battery. I'd fly it low and close by for a few cycles and keep close tabs on it just to be sure.

If powering down sequences are not followed up correctly in any digital circuit, it might resulting into setting up incorrect states and one might observe unexpected behavior. You might notice it if you quickly power it back. If you wait for long enough to discharge internal capacitors, you may not see any issue as unit returns to unpowered/ dead state.

In high power circuits like we have ESCs , this might result into burning of power switching elements.

Also this might corrupt data on any storage devices like SD card, internal storage devices and might result into totally unforeseen behavior.

Power switching on and off should be done correctly to ensure safe working.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl