Bad rotor motor - need help with repair please

Reaction score
I flew my Phantom 3 Standard in high winds (18-20+ MPH) Saturday. Landed ok but trying to take off again one rotor was not working correctly. When I spin the prop it makes a grinding sound like a bad bearing. I have four options - 1) replace 1 or all 4 rotor motors using another P3S I have with a broken camera, 2) move the good camera to the older unit (which actually has less hours on it), or 3) have a shop make the swap or install new motors, or 4) buy a new refurbished Phantom. I'm not an electronics guru but I'm not afraid to try the repair. What do you experts recommend? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Turn the drone upside down and put a vacuum cleaner nozzle over the motor so as to suck any grit that might have got into the motor etc. out of the drone. Gently turn the motor, if you can, while doing this.
If that doesn't work then I am sure others will answer.
With the P3 advanced the motors changed at some point and from what I have read the motors of one type are not compatible with the drone innards of the other type. The older type has, where appropriate, black prop shafts whereas the newer type has a black dot on the end of the appropriate shafts. I do not know if the std had the same change but I think it is worth mentioning.

Turn the drone upside down and put a vacuum cleaner nozzle over the motor so as to suck any grit that might have got into the motor etc. out of the drone. Gently turn the motor, if you can, while doing this.
If that doesn't work then I am sure others will answer.
Thank you. I didn't think of trying to clean it. Will try that now...

I do not know if the std had the same change but I think it is worth mentioning.
FYI - when the P3S was released, it already had the new style motors. The P3S model never had the old style motors.

Reactions: lmaupin
Thank you. I didn't think of trying to clean it. Will try that now...
Well, that didn't work. Three rotors power up full speed on takeoff but the bad one doesn't move.

Any other suggestions anyone? Thx.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20