Flying with chipped shell under the motor

Reaction score
I crashed the phantom 3 professional and it chipped right under one of the 4 motors and I was wondering if it is still safe to fly or if it will cause a problem from that small piece missing from under the 1 motor. Also what would the repair cost likely be to get this fixed since I will be sending it off if needed.

A picture of the damage would help assess whether it's safe or not Bradmattia. If the motor is loose then definitely not safe. The shells are quite easily repairable as long as not twisted.
If you send it off for repair they will simply change out the bottom shell - in the UK you can buy a complete shell for around £20 but you'll be charged a lot more then that by a repair company!

Shell example here.

Thank you for the reply. It is a lot better for me to send it somewhere because I will have no idea what I am doing when trying to fix it and will likely mess something up even following a youtube video. Here are some pictures.
20210906_203846.jpg
20210906_204004.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: brigerdrones
Thanks for that. Are you in the UK?
That looks flyable, as long as the motor is still firmly attached and not sticking on the shell, rotates freely.
Drone Doctor is one of the better repair services here, they did mine after a major mishap (under insurance 😁) and did a great job.
DroneWorx is another good one.

Blimey, you're up and about early! 😁
As I said, just check the motor is firmly attached and free to rotate with your fingers. Do a gentle take-off and should be OK but in the long run, get it fixed if you can't do it yourself. It's not difficult.
This looks a good repair service near you.
Alright thank you I just wanted to make sure before I flew it farther then just my property that it wouldn’t randomly fall somewhere.

No problem Bradmattia. Just make sure the motor is secure, check tightness of the retaining bolts, and turns freely. Fly "gently" and I can't see any problem.
Good luck.

No problem Bradmattia. Just make sure the motor is secure, check tightness of the retaining bolts, and turns freely. Fly "gently" and I can't see any problem.
Good luck.
The flying did seem a little bit slower then in the past just in the small flight I did. Normally can go around 37 but went around 25 mph so maybe something else caused it to go slower.

As you're happy to do so, contact a couple of local drone repair companies and get a quotation to replace the shell. They'll also check out everything to make sure there's no underlying problems.

Bummer,,you can get base plate add ons that will prevent any futher cracking but in the long run new shell is better,,and the shell unclipped in picture should go back in place ok
Also check for any plastic bits in there,,,when turning motor does it feel same as others

Last edited by a moderator:
A worrisome thought is the crack going to the second screw mount upper right in the photo.
Get the lower shell replaced.

Reactions: tribar

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20