bad news from faa for recreational flyers

Been flying since the early 70s. Never needed to fly in CA.

Meh...It’s a nothing-burger for me.

Reactions: Squirrel!
It all looks good to me. A precise, simple directive that will (hopefully) keep manned and unmanned aircraft separated if these guidelines are followed. Plus, it will lessen the burden on ATC tower controllers who I rely on daily to keep my crew and my passengers safe.

As both an ATP and drone hobbyist, I’d agree that this FAA directive is a step in the right direction.

Never flew in those areas. Plenty of other places to fly.
When all the regulations get too deep, I’ll find a new hobby.
Not sure how this is bad news, but I’ve been wrong before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Liteweight
Sounds like a great step in the right direction to make the NAS safer and to alleviate workload on ATC. Looks like recreational UAS operators will also be able to use LAANC starting this summer so they will still be able to fly in controlled airspace where practical.

Putting this into law also stops all of the previous haggling over what hobbyists were allowed and weren't allowed to do because the AMA guidelines were just that...guidelines.

What we all need now (commercial and hobbyist) is integration of LAANC into DJI Go 4 so that we can obtain LAANC authorization and unlock the NFZ in one easy step. DJI has really been dragging their feet on LAANC integration.

Sounds like a great step in the right direction to make the NAS safer and to alleviate workload on ATC. Looks like recreational UAS operators will also be able to use LAANC starting this summer so they will still be able to fly in controlled airspace where practical.

Putting this into law also stops all of the previous haggling over what hobbyists were allowed and weren't allowed to do because the AMA guidelines were just that...guidelines.

What we all need now (commercial and hobbyist) is integration of LAANC into DJI Go 4 so that we can obtain LAANC authorization and unlock the NFZ in one easy step. DJI has really been dragging their feet on LAANC integration.

I don't think that's what it says - it appears to be saying that recreational flight in surface controlled airspace will only be allowed at fixed, known sites designated in the UASFM.

Reactions: Starz and N017RW
I don't think that's what it says - it appears to be saying that recreational flight in surface controlled airspace will only be allowed at fixed, known sites designated in the UASFM.
Which part is "not what it says"?

Looks like recreational UAS operators will also be able to use LAANC starting this summer so they will still be able to fly in controlled airspace where practical.
From the document:
NOTE: In the summer, LAANC will accept and authorize recreational requests in UASFM values, but will not accept or authorize anything for altitudes higher than 400 feet or outside the UASFM.

Under Section 336, the FAA had no jurisdiction over hobbyists other than to point them to the accepted community guidelines. Under the FAA Re-authorization Act, the FAA can and is implementing regulations that cover hobbyists.

This was not from the FAA document. Just my view of what is needed to make the process simpler for everyone.

I am an AMA member and used to fly at their fields. Since I moved out in the country, I fly in my back yard. I’m talking RC airplanes and helicopters which the FAA also refers to as UAS. I have all my hobby stuff registered with the same FAA registration #. I have my P4P+ registered with a separate commercial #. I’ve been registering my recreational flights in my backyard with AirMap. It says flight submitted... I wonder what will happen when people are flying their little park flyer airplanes and have no idea of these new laws. Like I said, I know these laws are meant for drones, but they cover everything unmanned..

It appears hobbyists will have access to LAANC in the near future. I will bet the access will be dependent on passing the soon to come hobbyist knowledge test. My wings are clipped in some areas for now, the park I fly to practice and a lighthouse I wanted fly on vacation but, this is for the best to closer align commercial and hobby operations, IMHO.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Another good reason to have your 107. All my flights will be commercial... you have to practice to get better lol.

Reactions: TheKestrel
I am an AMA member and used to fly at their fields. Since I moved out in the country, I fly in my back yard. I’m talking RC airplanes and helicopters which the FAA also refers to as UAS. I have all my hobby stuff registered with the same FAA registration #. I have my P4P+ registered with a separate commercial #. I’ve been registering my recreational flights in my backyard with AirMap. It says flight submitted... I wonder what will happen when people are flying their little park flyer airplanes and have no idea of these new laws. Like I said, I know these laws are meant for drones, but they cover everything unmanned..

You can enter into a Letter of Agreement with a facility but I'm curious how this will work with the DJI Go system. Maybe a "Self Unlock" option for people with GeoFencing.

I’ve had to apply for DJI unlock codes for commercial jobs too close to an airport. I had received FAA authorization, but it isn’t like I had to tell DJI what the authorization code is/was. DJI gave me the code, I imputed and was good to go... now I don’t know if DJI sends that to the FAA or not, but if not seems kind of useless. Anybody can apply to unlock...it didn’t ask for my 107 info or anything. Here is my home area...

Attachments

• AC4500E9-B9F6-4118-A770-35ACE1A4091B.jpeg
    AC4500E9-B9F6-4118-A770-35ACE1A4091B.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 439
Here is what the AMA put out in regards to the FAA memo... apparently it wasn’t meant to be public. Just in house. And if you fly at a AMA club you’ll be good Togo I guess...

Attachments

• D6BC4DBD-1F4F-4052-82B8-AFE87E640B62.png
    D6BC4DBD-1F4F-4052-82B8-AFE87E640B62.png
    404.9 KB · Views: 453
Reactions: PhantomFandom
Here is what the AMA put out in regards to the FAA memo... apparently it wasn’t meant to be public. Just in house. And if you fly at a AMA club you’ll be good Togo I guess...
The only problem is AMA fields won’t let you fly a quad copter. God forbid if you use the word drone.

Reactions: Basspig
The only problem is AMA fields won’t let you fly a quad copter. God forbid if you use the word drone.

Huh? That's a bold statement and just not true across the board. I fly at an AMA field and we've been flying "Drones" since before they were called drones. While I know several fields don't appreciate the added pressure/regulations multirotors have brought to the industry (and I agree) it's not an all-out ban on MultiRotors at AMA fields. Also some fields don't allow jet/turbine aircraft (space/noise restrictions) but that's a club by club decision and not an out-right jet/turbine ban at every AMA field.

Many clubs got "burned" early on because MR don't require you to learn to fly etc and many new operators didn't want to follow club rules on how/when/where to fly and it just becomes a hassle "policing" your members. So many clubs have done an out-right ban on MR but that's the exception NOT the rule.

My local AMA flying field must be the exception. It is a members only private flying field that does NOT allow drones of any kind to fly there........even if you are a AMA member.

No problem. There are other places to fly without all the drama.

Reactions: BigAl07 and DenMac
Big Al I see your point. It’s just hard to find a safe and legal place to fly.

It is? Maybe if you only want to fly in cities, which are a pretty small percentage of the landmass. I am into interesting and dramatic scenery, and I mostly fly in remote areas, deserts, mountains, etc. No people, no airports, no restrictions.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4