B4U Fly App

Reaction score
Is this app the only way to tell where we can and cannot fly? Seems to me like it is not accurate at all. See attached picture. For some reason this restaurant has a 5 mile no fly zone?

874e6009c8d0c4963e7598ad1a2782ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Oliver Collin
Uh, dies the restaurant have a runway? Can you fly in? If yes, it might explain a lot.

Reactions: Cookie$Dough
The B4UFly App is certainly not the only resource that can aid us in finding areas to fly, however, the alternatives are going to take some careful study. Don't forget also that the FAA has a disclaimer about using the App, which essentially says that ultimately the responsibility is yours, not the FAA or its App.
A good resource is the FAA website itself:
For Restricted Airspace
  • Temporary Flight Restrictions
  • Stadiums and Sporting Events
  • Wildfires
  • Airports
https://www.faa.gov/uas/where_to_fly/airspace_restrictions

Please don't forget about Temporary Flight Restrictions (you should bookmark this page since flying in a TFR is likely to get you super-hefty fines, if not jail time)
Federal Aviation Administration - Graphic TFR's

You can check out weather and NOTAM's (notice to airmen) here - I would recommend setting up an account on this site.
https://www.1800wxbrief.com/

One of my personal favorites for Charts is SkyVector: Flight Planning / Aeronautical Charts

Which leaves me with one final comment; the single biggest resource is learning how to read Sectional and Terminal charts. Learn how to identify the different types of airspace and so much more. Ultimately, these charts have 99% of the information that you need. I recommend taking a course that goes into depth about charts, some of these online courses are about $100 and geared towards a remote sUAS certificate, but it's all great information.

Check out the airmap app too. Allows the user to specify what info to map and has a hobby or commercial selector.

Reactions: Chopperimage
I found that app to be a bit overrun with helicopter landing sites in my area. Most of these are either never used or are just listed because a few gold coast millionaires used to land at their estates. I stick with a paper map and a 5 mile circle. I always like to have a proof for the occasional questions that come when you get in the air. Fly responsibly and nobody will ever know you are there outside of take off and landing as they look to see where the bees are coming from. The app is great for when you travel outside of your area and need to know where the big and little airports are.

Is this app the only way to tell where we can and cannot fly? Seems to me like it is not accurate at all. See attached picture. For some reason this restaurant has a 5 mile no fly zone?

Login to your DJI account (on a computer, not your phone, you'll see more). Go to: DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography. Scroll down, and you'll see a map. Use your arrow keys to go to your area of interest. Make the mapper bigger using the + and - keys. You'll see red, yellow and green flyzones. You can advance unlock a yellow area (36 hours of not sending you messages). Using this, you can see where all the NO fly areas are.

874e6009c8d0c4963e7598ad1a2782ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Attachments

• GEOnlock1.JPG
    GEOnlock1.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 620
I looked at B4UFLY and didn't like it. I use UAV Forecast. It obviously harvests data from many places, including NOTAMs, TFRs, weather, etc.

I really like how it gives you winds aloft at your location, as well as adjustable values for airport features. If you're flying rec, you can set the airport zones at 5 miles. If you' re 107, you can set them to whatever.

It seems simple to use. BTW, I also do my preflight with Flight Service!

I looked at B4UFLY and didn't like it. I use UAV Forecast. It obviously harvests data from many places, including NOTAMs, TFRs, weather, etc.

I really like how it gives you winds aloft at your location, as well as adjustable values for airport features. If you're flying rec, you can set the airport zones at 5 miles. If you' re 107, you can set them to whatever.

It seems simple to use. BTW, I also do my preflight with Flight Service!
Interesting and Hmm. Not a bad idea to give those guys something to do.

Over on the fixed wing side us Corp guys use fltplan.com which has nothing really for UAS, maybe in the future.

Question. How knowledgeable are the Flight Service guys to UAS ops?

Interesting and Hmm. Not a bad idea to give those guys something to do.

Over on the fixed wing side us Corp guys use fltplan.com which has nothing really for UAS, maybe in the future.

Question. How knowledgeable are the Flight Service guys to UAS ops?

I use flight service online......Easy to configure your custom dashboard for your area. I have three airports, which one is a Class C, triangulated around me. Anytime I want the weather in my local area, I just log in. They also have a UAS section showing the entire CONUS and with sectional coverage.

Reactions: Chopperimage
I use flight service online......Easy to configure your custom dashboard for your area. I have three airports, which one is a Class C, triangulated around me. Anytime I want the weather in my local area, I just log in. They also have a UAS section showing the entire CONUS and with sectional coverage.
Thanks for the tip!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31