Avegent Glyph user experiance

I purchased the Glyphs when I bought the Phantom 4....

I have not used them yet.....
This lifestyle is waaaaaaaaay to progressive and serious for newbies to make FPV moves before they understand HTF (How To Fly).

Before taking that leap.... I will/must ensure that I am familiar with the Phantom and all of her inter-workings before I step into the FPV world.

Plus.... I'm scared!
Not sure you are scared of what? You have already spent money and now its time to have fun.

You are lucky that you didnt start with RC fixed wing planes. They were so difficult for the beginners as you needed control all the time. these drones are so easy to fly and in the worst scenario, just leave your hands off the sticks. Drone will stay at a point in air until you plan your next moves. What better you can expect from a flying object?

I suggest, go to the open fields without any obstacles in the vicinity and get the full fun out.

Last edited:
Reactions: wolf~928 and JB63
The Glyphs won't do it for me ... I have a P3S, and it does not have HDMI output. Well, the HDMI module works only for the more advanced models. One option I thought of is to get a tablet that has HDMI output, but then I'd get not true FPV< but all the extra info on the scree,

Any thoughts?

I believe you can swipe up on the screen to get full camera view

Not sure you are scared of what? You have already spent money and not its time to have fun.

You are lucky that you didnt start with RC fixed wing planes. They were so difficult for the beginners as you needed control all the time. these drones are so easy to fly and in the worst scenario, just leave your hands off the sticks. Drone will stay at a point in air until you plan your next moves. What better you can expect from a flying object?

I suggest, go to the open fields without any obstacles in the vicinity and get the full fun out.

You are sooooooooo right!

The money has been spent..... And I have the perfect location....
Time to put the Phantom in motion and enjoy life ;)

Thank you...

Got one question about the Glyphs. Would they work with prescription glasses?
Given all the GranPa's in this hobby, I sure hope they do ... :)

They should work with the glasses but it's better to take off prescription glasses and adjust settings on Glyph.

Reactions: CornPopper
They should work with the glasses but it's better to take off prescription glasses and adjust settings on Glyph.
Thank You. I thought the 'main' benefit of the glyphs is that one can switch back and forth between looking at the small screen (for FPV) and looking at the AC (to keep visual Line of Sight) ... I can't see much with my glasses and need them on to track the bird in the sky ... but then, reverting to the glyphs, I hope I won't have to keep moving my glasses up/down. Though doable, my 2 hands will be handling the remote.

Once you get experience flying with goggles, you hardly look at RC monitor during flying. Yes, it may be better to take off goggles while landing. It's experience and choice and care for the surroundings.

Ask yourself: why do you want to switch to goggles?

Once you get experience flying with goggles, you hardly look at RC monitor during flying. Yes, it may be better to take off goggles while landing. It's experience and choice and care for the surroundings.

Ask yourself: why do you want to switch to goggles?
You're right, it's a very valid question. To me for now, goggles are just the next piece of technology. A bit curious, like most engineers out there.

Last edited:
Avegant is giving $50 discount with TAXDAY code.

Reactions: qtonic
Hey! I resemble that statement Ha!
I wear drugstore glasses for reading and another pair for driving however, I just adjust the Glyphs and leave the glasses off, though you can wear them with the Glyphs if you choose to.

Just ordered my Glyph, was on the fence for a while after the DJI goggles were announced but the lack of wireless on Phantoms and Inspires added to the 'dorkier' look wearing them didn't balance out with the pros of their higher res and larger view.
Looking forward to receiving them and will update with my opinions

Reactions: AgileHumor
So, here it is. I said once I had used the Glyph for a while I would let you know what I thought of it.

The product is probably the best looking 'goggle' there is, or at least the one that will make you look the least 'dorky' whilst wearing it.
Most people have said you will get the product, four sizes of nose bridge, a USB cable for charging (head tracking is currently disabled by DJI on the Glyph with current DJI firmware) and a HDMI which is micro (Glyph end) and full sized for whatever you plug the Glyph into.
What I got was as above but also a very very nice hard case and a triangular zip pouch for the cables (which fits neatly inside the Glyph when in the case). A nice surprise bonus.

The 'headphone' fit was tight but not uncomfortable even on my size 7 'melon'. The nose bridges were varied enough to easily find one I liked, but I found the rubber 'blank' nose bridge allowed me to wear the Glyph closer to my eyes and hence show a larger screen and less 'tunnel effect' (more on that later).
The focusing was great, should cover for almost any degree of reading glasses equivalent (but won't include for any distance prescription, it will be like wearing chemist off the shelf reading glasses).

The image quality is great, it is only 720p but then so is the signal from the DJI remote control so no issues there. What can be problematic is when watching movies etc, the Glyph will upscale lower resolutions to fill the display but will not downscale 1080 to fit.
I only watched one 3D movie on the Glyph, it will only work in 3D with what they call SBS (side by side) 3D sources. 3D was excellent for this format of 3D input.

I didn't do much audio testing but on the couple of movies I watched and the TV I viewed on the Glyph it seemed perfectly adequate stereo sound.

I have no other fpv goggle experience to compare the Glyph to but it has a 45degree fov which is as good or better than most (if not all) dedicated fpv goggles. For me it was fairly good, not the best immersion but also not so large that I was moving my eyes about the screen all the time.

Where the Glyph falls down (and why I have now returned it) is the way the optics work. You view the display through a small and round aperture (the focusing lens) and if the Glyph isn't right on top of your eyes or if you move your eyes much off centre (say to look at the OSD on the top and bottom of the DJI screen) you get a 'tunnel effect'. The best way I could think of to explain this 'tunnel effect' is for you to imagine a bagel, hold it right up to your eye as you watch TV and you won't notice the rounded hole. As you move the bagel away from your face you will begin to see a rounded tunnel (the edges of the bagel hole) obscuring the edges of your TV view. This is what happens with the Glyph and is what I mean by 'tunnel effect'.
It is not extreme but it was enough for me personally to think the product was not worth the price.

Hope this 'review' is of some help to other prospective buyers.

Reactions: Bermuda Sunset
Just spent a good few mins reading all these posts. Interesting reading.

At least with the Glyph it does not look like your wearing a mini fridge on the end of your nose like you are with the new DJI offering.

What I am very disappointed with is the lack of head tracking now. I was looking forward to trying that. Do you think a work around will be found?

One more plus is now that DJI have brought out their googles. Glyph may reduce the price of theirs! Here is hoping anyway.

I got a pair of Glyphs last week. I've watched a couple of videos on my ipad with them. I just got the HDMI mini adapter for the Phantom remote so I'll be able to try FPV this weekend. I'm not terribly disappointed with the lack of head tracking although that would have been nice, I just want a nice bright clear display that I can still see my quad and tablet. I've tried Fatsharks and Headplays and I just don't like the feeling being outside totally disconnected from the world wearing FS's or HP's. I've had people walk up on me and tap me on the shoulder wearing them and about have a heart attack. With the glyphs I feel a little more in touch with reality. They wont take the place of VR sets but for flying I think they're going to be good

I got a pair of Glyphs last week. I've watched a couple of videos on my ipad with them. I just got the HDMI mini adapter for the Phantom remote so I'll be able to try FPV this weekend. I'm not terribly disappointed with the lack of head tracking although that would have been nice, I just want a nice bright clear display that I can still see my quad and tablet. I've tried Fatsharks and Headplays and I just don't like the feeling being outside totally disconnected from the world wearing FS's or HP's. I've had people walk up on me and tap me on the shoulder wearing them and about have a heart attack. With the glyphs I feel a little more in touch with reality. They wont take the place of VR sets but for flying I think they're going to be good

Totally agree, one of the most important features of the Glyph is the real world awareness. Hope you enjoy them, let us know what you think.

You can do head tracking with Glyph.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj