Autopilot Engage Problem

Reaction score
Maybe there are a few Autopilot users here that could offer some suggestions?

When I engage Autopilot on a Waypoint mission, Autopilot acts like it is engaging fine. The video starts as specified. But it never executes the first move to the initial waypoint.

I've tried starting the mission from the ground, props running and not running, and also from a hover.

Although the flight dashboard shows it as engaged and the timer is counting up, the status shows "RC Override". I'm not sure if this means it thinks I'm overriding the control from the RC? I'm not, I'm completely hands off.

I had Autopilot working for me a few months ago, but I haven't used it for a while. It's of course a few versions later for Autopilot and the DJI firmware, but as far as I can recall I'm doing the same things. I'm following all the Autopilot docs and checklists that I can find. FWIW, I fly all the time with DJI Go, so there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the P3 or RC.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions on what might cause the engage not to start the mission, or about the RC Override status, it would be appreciated. I'm really beating my head against it now.

Also, if anyone knows of an active Autopilot forum or thread anywhere, that would also be cool.

Thanks,
Paul

Maybe there are a few Autopilot users here that could offer some suggestions?

When I engage Autopilot on a Waypoint mission, Autopilot acts like it is engaging fine. The video starts as specified. But it never executes the first move to the initial waypoint.

I've tried starting the mission from the ground, props running and not running, and also from a hover.

Although the flight dashboard shows it as engaged and the timer is counting up, the status shows "RC Override". I'm not sure if this means it thinks I'm overriding the control from the RC? I'm not, I'm completely hands off.

I had Autopilot working for me a few months ago, but I haven't used it for a while. It's of course a few versions later for Autopilot and the DJI firmware, but as far as I can recall I'm doing the same things. I'm following all the Autopilot docs and checklists that I can find. FWIW, I fly all the time with DJI Go, so there's nothing fundamentally wrong with the P3 or RC.

Anyway, if you have any suggestions on what might cause the engage not to start the mission, or about the RC Override status, it would be appreciated. I'm really beating my head against it now.

Also, if anyone knows of an active Autopilot forum or thread anywhere, that would also be cool.

Thanks,
Paul

Did you switch to F mode?

And have you changed the settings in DJI Go to enable "Multiple Flight Modes"? Keep in mind that enabling MFM must be done with the bird turned on (you don't have to start the motors) and connected to the RC.

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, RC switched to F mode.

And have you changed the settings in DJI Go to enable "Multiple Flight Modes"? Keep in mind that enabling MFM must be done with the bird turned on (you don't have to start the motors) and connected to the RC.

Yes, multiple flight modes is enabled. Next time I get out to fly (tomorrow I hope), I'll cycle this setting with everything on and connected just to make sure the setting is sent to the P3.

I've made sure I followed all the steps in the checklists ( https://autoflightlogic.com/images/autopilot/flightschool/Autopilot - Checklist.pdf ). Still baffled why it won't start moving even though it seems to be engaged. I'm sure it will be one of those "Doh!" moments when I figure it out.

Last edited:
Also possible you are Below Hard Deck limit. I have had this happen but it does give visual warning if I remember. I was never able to take off from the ground for some reason. Now I always start in Go app to check everything out and switch to Autopilot when ready.

I had this problem yesterday. I haven't messed with my P3A for about month or so. So I updated my autopilot app and DJI Go app and the bird. Got my waypoint mission all setup and went to go fly it and it says "RC Override". wouldn't do anything. So later yesterday afternoon I didn't do anything else and went back out to try it again. took it up to 300' and engaged Autopilot did the same thing. So I let it just sit there for a min and then all of a sudden it takes off and start patrolling like it should. I will test again today after work. I also sent Autopilot a message on Facebook waiting to hear back from them.

I also met the same problem. But I don't have time to understand it clearly. I will continue to pay attention to it. Wish someone could give an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi, anyone have any solution for this problem by now? My Phantom 3 4k has the same issue.
Thanks.

Since I posted the original question...

As I mentioned, this happened after I hadn't used Autopilot for a while. I had updated both Autopilot and the DJI firmware in that down time.

What solved it for me was to wipe out my saved missions and recreate them from scratch. The new missions all worked--well I had one error in a complex waypoint mission that I noticed when I re-entered it and fixed that--but the other missions worked after re-entering them, even though the new ones were seemingly identical to the old ones.

I never went back and tried to figure out what exactly happened. I was back in the air and I'm still running missions successfully.

Cheers,
Paul

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.