Auto Takeoffs/Landings

Reaction score
Just wondering how many folks use auto takeoff/landings. I personally takeoff and land manually on all flights, including RTH. Pros/Cons.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Yep.me too.....the joy of manually lifting my P3 SE off is the most enjoyment...and yep...manually landing it also......check mark my box for all manual flights !

Reaction score
Same here, manual takeoff and landing every flight

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Reaction score
I use auto takeoff for dronedeploy missions, but that one does not have a workflow suitable for manual takeoff. Manual otherwise.

Reaction score
Website
www.dansanchezphotography.com
I do a manual take off because I want to start the engines and listen to them run a few seconds before lifting off. Make sure I don't hear anything that sounds off that might crash my drone. Landing, depends on the time of day I am flying. If there's plenty of light, I'll get it to the area I want it to land and use auto-land. If it's dark, I'll just hand catch it.

Reaction score
Manual take-off... 104% throttle!

Manual land 99.9%.

Last edited:

Oso

Reaction score
Just wondering how many folks use auto takeoff/landings. I personally takeoff and land manually on all flights, including RTH. Pros/Cons.

Thanks.
I use only manual for both. In the early days of the P3, I used to show people the auto land feature just to impress them since at that time the auto landings were very smooth and gentle. Amazing really. Then with FW v1.32 or so, auto landings for the P3A/P3P models were no longer smooth and gentle so I stopped using it completely and now hand catch exclusively. We have had many people ask here why the P3A/P3P does not auto land as smoothly as does the P3S. There's no real answer and it's not related to the VPS on the A/P.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Like Danchez, and Delifton, I use the auto take off for the same reasons.
I am preflighting my drone listening for abnormalities in the motors while hovering, and the technology of the drone just amazes me.

Reactions: oconnb
Reaction score
I guess I would be lying if I said I do all of it manually because every once in a while I do like to test out the return to home the auto take off of the autoland. And yeah it’s pretty cool to show off to some of your spectators LOL

Reaction score
I take off from a table, manually.

I do the preflight and then start motors. The bird remains on the table for a minute or two to warm up and for me to listen.

I take off and hover approx. 8 ft AGL for another minute or two.

Then the mission begins.

Reaction score
I always manually take off and land...to me, it is part of the fun of flying. I do often fly Litchi waypoint missions with my Phantom 4 when shooting video so I can preplan my shots, but still begin and end with the sticks

Reactions: rvrrat14
Reaction score
P4P - Manual takeoff straight up to 30' to facilitate precision landing.

If using launch pad, usually let it precision land. (Typically within a few inches). If not using launch pad and ground conditions not hospitable, will hand catch.

Reaction score
I fly in the desert where the ground is dirt and dust is kicked up when the motors start and the AC takes off. This I live with. I always hand catch to minimize the dust being blown on the AC.

Reaction score
Auto takeoff about 95% of the time, manual land 100%. Agree with others, auto land is not so gentle.

Reactions: ianzone
Reaction score
Yip manual , no autos for me,

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinnmaz