Australia Senators Call For A Freeze on Drone Sales.

Reaction score
We live in a tumultuous time. As Isis has released a number of videos using drones for their attacks, the Australia Government has called for a possible ban on sale of drones. There are many concerns out there for individual safety. Many of those attacks include ordinary items such as trucks which brings the question, will such a ban create a safer environment? Should the entire industry be made to suffer when in fact, commericial drones are getting smaller and not really be able to carry weapons?

The Japanese capitalized on balloons during WW 2 as an effort to bomb the United States. There was some damage and civilian casualties. Yet, balloon banishment did not occur. How is this different?

australian drone ban.png

What about a ban on the sales of cars and cell phones? ISIS uses those as well!

Do they think that if a terrorist can't buy a drone in Australia they're just going to say "Well, we can't buy one here, so much for that idea" . . .
You are reading my mind on this point. I don't think there is much heart on this legislation. Just my thoughts.

I wouldn't worry about yet another thought bubble from this crowd, it won't get up, they're still arguing about the budget, Manus Island, same sex marriage, solar power, the coal industry, pensions for jailed politicians etc.
Fly on.....

Reactions: MattP3A
Typical of the government, trying to shut the gate after the horse has already bolted.

Australia is a prohibited country... Worst than a communist one.

Australia has its own brand of politics. Can't fault the government for trying to keep the people safe.

Not at all, we have it pretty easy over here. We have the same stupid politicians that are found everywhere else in the world. If we don't like them, we get rid of them at the next election, can't do that in a communist country....
True but man, they think drones are like a bomb that will kill people.

Australia has its own brand of politics. Can't fault the government for trying to keep the people safe.
It's not the Government at all.
It's a couple of individual senators who have very little understanding of drones but won't let that affect their judgement.
b6a76d4e4d1f7d094d9b7df0463ac09a

Barry O'Sullivan says drones in the wrong hands could be devastating.

The government has an organisation (CASA) staffed with professionals to keep aviation safe.
I contacted the office of the senator pushing this and was told that he is worried because he looked on the internet and found lots of drones advertised that can fly to 18000 ft.
He had no idea of the difference between service ceiling and actual flight limits and imagines any kid can be up there with the jets.
In one report a Qantas pilot has told him of an incident where air traffic control told him of a drone at 12000 ft causing safety concerns!!!

These concerns started up last year when CASA remove the restriction on commercial use for drones under 2 kg.
Somehow he has the idea that CASA relaxed safety rules which have remained as they were.
Senator Nick Xenophon also had this idea last year when the licensed drone operators (worried about competition) fed him a line of BS about CASA relaxing safety rules.

Barry O'Sullivan doesn't seem to understand the difference between real drones and his drone fantasies.
Here's a quote from him "It won't be long before we look up in the sky and have a mass of activity, I mean, even a provincial city in Australia where there could be thousands of unmanned aircraft and devices going about their business of delivering pizzas or your order from the chemist shop or a packet of cigarettes, a six pack of beer and so on."
And he thinks it's easy to buy a drone that can carry a 20kg payload and cause vast destruction - but stupidly thinks that if he bans sales of Phantom-sized drones, this will prevent bad people from doing bad things with drones.
He he is on talk radio so you can see where he's coming from:
» Dangerous Drones in Senate’s Sights | Sydney Talk Radio
And here's the latest from him: O’Sullivan pledges minimalist attitude to drone laws on agriculture
He's got big concerns about privacy, potential terrorist use and airplane safety.

This report shows how little respect these guys have for the experts at CASA: Tensions boil over drone safety dispute

Any Australian members concerned could contact these senators who are pushing this (use the connect link on their web pages):
Barry O’Sullivan Senator Barry O'Sullivan – Parliament of Australia
Glenn Sterle Senator Glenn Sterle – Parliament of Australia
Chris Back Senator Chris Back – Parliament of Australia
Nick Xenophon Senator Nick Xenophon – Parliament of Australia

Reactions: tevek
It's a couple of individual senators who have very little understanding of drones but won't let that affect their judgement.
b6a76d4e4d1f7d094d9b7df0463ac09a

Barry O'Sullivan says drones in the wrong hands could be devastating.

The government has an organisation (CASA) staffed with professionals to keep aviation safe.
I contacted the office of the senator pushing this and was told that he is worried because he looked on the internet and found lots of drones advertised that can fly to 18000 ft.
He had no idea of the difference between service ceiling and actual flight limits and imagines any kid can be up there with the jets.
In one report a Qantas pilot has told him of an incident where air traffic control told him of a drone at 12000 ft causing safety concerns!!!

These concerns started up last year when CASA remove the restriction on commercial use for drones under 2 kg.
Somehow he has the idea that CASA relaxed safety rules which have remained as they were.
Senator Nick Xenophon also had this idea last year when the licensed drone operators (worried about competition) fed him a line of BS about CASA relaxing safety rules.

Barry O'Sullivan doesn't seem to understand the difference between real drones and his drone fantasies.
Here's a quote from him "It won't be long before we look up in the sky and have a mass of activity, I mean, even a provincial city in Australia where there could be thousands of unmanned aircraft and devices going about their business of delivering pizzas or your order from the chemist shop or a packet of cigarettes, a six pack of beer and so on."
And he thinks it's easy to buy a drone that can carry a 20kg payload and cause vast destruction - but stupidly thinks that if he bans sales of Phantom-sized drones, this will prevent bad people from doing bad things with drones.
He he is on talk radio so you can see where he's coming from:
» Dangerous Drones in Senate’s Sights | Sydney Talk Radio
And here's the latest from him: O’Sullivan pledges minimalist attitude to drone laws on agriculture
He's got big concerns about privacy, potential terrorist use and airplane safety.

This report shows how little respect these guys have for the experts at CASA: Tensions boil over drone safety dispute

Any Australian members concerned could contact these senators who are pushing this (use the connect link on their web pages):
Barry O’Sullivan Senator Barry O'Sullivan – Parliament of Australia
Glenn Sterle Senator Glenn Sterle – Parliament of Australia
Chris Back Senator Chris Back – Parliament of Australia
Nick Xenophon Senator Nick Xenophon – Parliament of Australia
Well firstly thankyou for putting some flesh on this bare boned hackneyed proposal. It seems that his (O'Sullivan) constituent friends in agriculture can fly with relative impunity whilst the rest of us law abiding plebs can go and eat cake. I am stunned that people like this with little understanding of UAVs can firstly go after CASA with such venom and then go on the record with such such arrogance and stupidity and make statements that are so blatantly false and laughable.
You know when someone has no idea of what they are saying when they conjure up a motherhood statement such as 'surely you don't want to be in a plane when a drone strikes it?'.
If he expended as much energy on reducing the daily carnage on our roads and addressing homelessness, I would applaud him, but not for this garbage.
I'll check out the link you posted to his site and put together a well reasoned, articulate question and see if he responds.
Cheers for that.

Reactions: With The Birds
Criminals love obeying laws.

Did the Australians also agree to turn in all their guns? I know what we read is not always true or the entire story.

Did the Australians also agree to turn in all their guns? I know what we read is not always true or the entire story.
We had several amnesties where you could take in certain firearms without ID or questions and they would buy them- they paid more in most cases than they owed me.

It's off topic but to clear things up and because there is a lot of misinformation from some sources, yes they did.
In 1996 the government made semi-automatic rifles and all semi-automatic and pump-action shotguns illegal and brought in a tightly restrictive system of licensing and ownership controls.
Compensation was paid to owners of firearms made illegal by gun law changes and surrendered to the government.
Bought back firearms were destroyed.
The 1996 "National Firearms Buyback Program" took 660,959 firearms out of private hands comprising long guns, mostly semi-automatic rimfire rifles and shotguns as well as pump-action shotguns, and a smaller proportion of higher powered or military type semi-automatic rifles.
Despite some opposition, the program was (and still is) widely supported.

Any further discussion should be in the Off Topic forum.
Added / on guns..dc

Reactions: dirkclod
It's a couple of individual senators who have very little understanding of drones but won't let that affect their judgement....
............................................................................................................................

You have underscored the problem., Incompetent and/or corrupt folks making and passing laws about things they couldn't care less about; certainly cant be bothered learning.

Drones are not designed to hurt people......viewing the glorious work mother nature has made for us to enjoy for our short stay on earth....yes

Well crap probably 10% of my business goes to Australia. I hope for all Australian Pilots sake and my own this doesn't pass.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers