Audio Capture - Phantom 4

Reaction score
So, I'm a new and excited Phantom 4 Pro owner (I've only been drooling over the Phantom 4 since it came out!!!) and I've been doing a little research.

So, the P4P camera does not capture audio. So much the better, makes for more bandwidth to transmit video. But, as someone who is debating on using this for a business (not set in stone yet) I am looking into options to capture audio.

I'm part of a LARP-style group and am looking to start recording some of the fights, more for marketing and memories. I've thought of simply strapping a digital voice recorder to it, but that would catch the wind and the propeller noise....which I'm trying to avoid. Keeping a microphone on me would be ok, but if I'm not near the action it causes issues.

Is there a lightweight, unidirectional microphone I could either plug into a pocket voice recorder, or a self-contained unidirectional recorder that would also work?

(Key word is unidirectional. An omnidirectional mic will still pick up propeller noise. A unidirectional mic can be aimed properly! :) )

Thankfully the DJI Phantom products do NOT record Audio! I have watched several videos where the audio is recorded.... NOT helpful (MY Opinion!) Do voice over and you will get a much better outcome!

Thankfully the DJI Phantom products do NOT record Audio! I have watched several videos where the audio is recorded.... NOT helpful (MY Opinion!) Do voice over and you will get a much better outcome!

That was sort of my thought from the beginning, since adding anything extra as a payload will decrease your flight time and agility. With what I'm going to be recording, agility is a bigger deal.

I'll fiddle around with off-drone unidirectional microphones, then. Just need to make sure it doesn't pick up the prop noise though. Or maybe I can filter it out somehow? -shrug-

The prop noise should be able to be filtered out if you can record the rpm of each engine so filter can remove them. but you will be spending months programming the software filter to cancel it out properly. Just remember in flight the pitch of prop actually changes as air flows over it from movement or wind, so static measurements won't work completely to get data.
Cell phones already do it some, so the mic doesn't echo local noises back to your ear.
You could also just filter out entire ranges of the prop buzz if what you are listening for is at different freq.

Key word is unidirectional. An omnidirectional mic will still pick up propeller noise. A unidirectional mic can be aimed properly!

Won't matter - as the props will be right next to the mike all you will get is prop noise.You only have to look at the polar pattern of a typical mike.You're probably best to position mikes on the ground and sync during post production.

Reactions: Pharm
As mentioned, the noise of the craft is just too loud. Even with a highly directional mic, the drone of the props will be overpowering and detract from the video.

I tried adding sound recording to see what it would be like. I used a little keychain camera taped on one of the legs. Then I synced the audio with the video from the P4 during post processing. The 30 second video below shows the sounds of the P4 arming, taking off and then going into a cruise:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you need to add sound to the video, you have to capture it with a remote device that isn't mounted on the craft and then mix it with the video later.

Here's a rough attempt I made of a steam train. Most of the sounds were train sounds that I downloaded from YouTube and then mixed and matched with the video:

Reactions: Rob1962
As mentioned, the noise of the craft is just too loud. Even with a highly directional mic, the drone of the props will be overpowering and detract from the video.

I tried adding sound recording to see what it would be like. I used a little keychain camera taped on one of the legs. Then I synced the audio with the video from the P4 during post processing. The 30 second video below shows the sounds of the P4 arming, taking off and then going into a cruise:

If you need to add sound to the video, you have to capture it with a remote device that isn't mounted on the craft and then mix it with the video later.

Here's a rough attempt I made of a steam train. Most of the sounds were train sounds that I downloaded from YouTube and then mixed and matched with the video:

Great job on the audio sync!

So, I'm a new and excited Phantom 4 Pro owner (I've only been drooling over the Phantom 4 since it came out!!!) and I've been doing a little research.

So, the P4P camera does not capture audio. So much the better, makes for more bandwidth to transmit video. But, as someone who is debating on using this for a business (not set in stone yet) I am looking into options to capture audio.

I'm part of a LARP-style group and am looking to start recording some of the fights, more for marketing and memories. I've thought of simply strapping a digital voice recorder to it, but that would catch the wind and the propeller noise....which I'm trying to avoid. Keeping a microphone on me would be ok, but if I'm not near the action it causes issues.

Is there a lightweight, unidirectional microphone I could either plug into a pocket voice recorder, or a self-contained unidirectional recorder that would also work?

(Key word is unidirectional. An omnidirectional mic will still pick up propeller noise. A unidirectional mic can be aimed properly! :) )

Heres my 2 cents. I think your videos would be so much more epic if you just dubbed cinema style music to your LARP group fights. Cause honestly when Ive rewatched my videos and imagine what sound would come from them, it would be like just ocean waves or nature scenes. Add my own sound track and then boom, it becomes epic. Try Jukedeck.com Its a site that allows you to edit your own type of music to fit your video. I think one categroy is action. Its pretty clever and its free.

Not sure about your budget but I got fantastic results by hiding a tiny digital recorder close to the action. Or distant capture with extra mic. Per example DR-05 Digital Audio Recorder you can eventually find as kit including shotgun mic. Flexible solution as can be used either standalone (good quality integrated mics) or with shotgun mic.

009f5d5eaa08590419864190e13a9813.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic