ATTN: Ex-Mavic owners

Reaction score
Hello All!

I am currently looking to jump from the Mavic to the P4P platform and wanted to know if any of you on here have owned the Mavic and switched to the P4P with any remorse?

I love the Mavic, but the video quality just makes think twice about owning it.

Also, how cumbersome is it to lug the P4P around? Used to carry a bunch of photography equipment and was able to tolerate it.

My background: used to photograph weddings, lookbooks, headshots, family portraits, events, pageants, fashion shows, and a few landscape and travel photography.

A small backpack is all that's needed. I carry more equipment for a real estate photo shoot. Having not owned or flown a Mavic I can't attest the quality of video they produce, but the camera on the P4P is so far above and beyond the capabilities of the Mavic just looking at the specs, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Reactions: Daskis
Hello All!

I am currently looking to jump from the Mavic to the P4P platform and wanted to know if any of you on here have owned the Mavic and switched to the P4P with any remorse?

I love the Mavic, but the video quality just makes think twice about owning it.

Also, how cumbersome is it to lug the P4P around? Used to carry a bunch of photography equipment and was able to tolerate it.

I own both drones, actually have three (Mavic, P4P and P4). I am pretty happy with the quality of pictures from the Mavic, of course no comparison with the quality of pictures from the P4P. Pictures attached below were taken with the Mavic on a hot sunny day in Costa Rica, straight out of the camera no post.

I love my P4P , however if I had brought it drone on this trip it would have a pain in the ***s. We just came back from a trip abroad from Costa Rica, bringing the Mavic in the plane was easy, in fact i was thinking that if I had brought the P4 or the P4Pro it would not have been as convenient, especially day time excursions.
Now, if you are not a traveler who flies and shoots locally, then you do not have to worry about how cumbersome it is to lug it around.

When I am local in town I fly the P4P.

Attachments

• DJI_0003.JPG
    DJI_0003.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 377
  • DJI_0005.JPG
    DJI_0005.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 404
Last edited:
A small backpack is all that's needed. I carry more equipment for a real estate photo shoot. Having not owned or flown a Mavic I can't attest the quality of video they produce, but the camera on the P4P is so far above and beyond the capabilities of the Mavic just looking at the specs, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I agree with Eddyfisher's statement on the picture quality P4P vs Mavic. To me the quality of pictures and video of the Mavic is similar to the P4, that's the reason I am now selling the P4 and keeping the P4P and the Mavic.

I absolutely loved the portability of the Mavic... Nothing like throwing it into my backpack, or just having it in my pelican case on shoots just in case. BUT; 4K at 50mbps didn't do it for me; especially when it's being cut with a high bitrate 4K camera on broadcast style productions. Not to mention the larger sensor, mechanical shutter, adjustable aperture to name a few.

Yes, having it in a wheeled Nanuk case isn't quite as portable, but in my world, video quality is key.

Reactions: Daskis
I come from a pro portrait background as well Daskis. For over 31 years now in fact. LOL. Trust me you will love the P4P! I had 2 P4's and they were awesome. But the video is insane out of the P4P! Stills are awesome too. I have a wheeled Case Club case that I can check on a plane. This case lets you leave the props on too. And I have a Pro Craft Backpack that I take if I'm hiking at all. I have carried it on a plane also btw. Put it in overhead.

Yes -- their cases are very nice. The interior is the most impressive part.

Reactions: DronePilotOne
Thank you for all the responses! They are all great and sensible.

I wanted to keep the Mavic and get a P4P. But my Mavic is having the dreaded watercolor issue straight out of the box, albeit I fix it with the camera reset (NTSC-PAL-NTSC), this shouldn't be happening in the first place. My fear is that if I keep the Mavic, and DJI doesn't fix the issue, my Mavic will just be sitting inside its case and not get any flight time as I value image quality more than anything else. And I know I can sell it now before I lose more money on it. The ideal scenario is I buy a P4P, and DJI fixes the issue with the Mavic.

From what I'm getting here, the P4P isn't anymore cumbersome than bringing my gear when I have a photoshoot. It also has superb image quality over the Mavic.

Follow up questions: Does the P4P suffer from any watercolor issues like the Mavic? Any out of focus issues?

Just wanted to add my opinion I first ordered the Mavic and in the end I returned two units and went with the P4Pro as it came out because I never was actually happy with the Image quality out of the Mavic still and Video wise. I also had serious Focus issuues with both Mavic units and the quality could not Match my expectations for professional usage. My P4Pro now is perfectly sharp from end to end, and the quality is not comparable could not be happier with the descision.

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I first ordered the Mavic and in the end I returned two units and went with the P4Pro as it came out because I never was actually happy with the Image quality out of the Mavic still and Video wise.
Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

I totally agree,

Some owners in the Mavic's forum reported image quality issues, samples pictures & videos are even posted showing these issues. Seems like there was a bad batch of Mavics out there with this disease. I guess I am one of the lucky ones, to me the stills and pics out of the one I have are similar to my P4. To be honest, in the beginning I was worried I was going to end up with a Mav with poor quality stills and pics, but that was not the case.

I love both drones (P4Pro & Mavic), they are both unique in their own features, perhaps both first in their own class. The P4Pro, most creative flying camera of its size equipped with a mechanical shutter. And the Mavic unique with its portability, probably what makes it a hot drone. I will say that I’ve been able to get some really nice video from this drone.

Nothing is perfect in life, especially when it comes to drones, they are very complex electronic flying toys. DJI is almost there with the Mavic, the latest firmware update has fixed a few bugs. When the Mavic was announced DJI was rushing at the factory trying to pump Mavics out as if they were pancakes to satisfy the demand and this may have created a few Mavics with less than acceptable stills and vids.

Is there anything better than the Mavic or the P4 Pro out there?. I don't think so, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj