Assuming manual control while following waypoints

Reaction score
For those of you who saw my last post, I had plotted a sophisticated set of waypoints through some trees. However, at one point the Phantom was about 5' HIGHER than I set the waypoint, and it crashed into some branches.

I saw it heading for the branches and immediately tried to manually lower the altitude, but the joystick did not respond while following the waypoints. That leads me to believe that while following waypoints, before you can assume manual control, you have to exit out of P mode and go into F mode first. Is that correct?

It's an unwieldy step when trying to prevent an emergency.

It's possible to yaw while flying waypoints, but you'll need to exit F-mode to cancel the mission. There is no way to modify the altitude mid-mission.

For those of you who saw my last post, I had plotted a sophisticated set of waypoints through some trees. However, at one point the Phantom was about 5' HIGHER than I set the waypoint, and it crashed into some branches.

I saw it heading for the branches and immediately tried to manually lower the altitude, but the joystick did not respond while following the waypoints. That leads me to believe that while following waypoints, before you can assume manual control, you have to exit out of P mode and go into F mode first. Is that correct?

It's an unwieldy step when trying to prevent an emergency.
In addition to the fact that you probably can't react fast enough to that kind of emergency, I do not believe the Phantom was designed for that level of accuracy.

> There is no way to modify the altitude mid-mission

Is that true? I'm a new Litchi user and I have three times panic-throttle-upped when a nearby tree looked slightly too tall at least from the ground-level. Every time I at least thought that my throttle-up worked and at post the footage seemed to confirm that. I believe I was in F-mode although I did have a finger to switch to P-mode.

Last edited:
I do not believe the Phantom was designed for that level of accuracy.
Right. It's best to fly missions above all obstacles.

Every time I at least thought that my throttle-up worked and at post the footage seemed to confirm that. I believe I was in P-mode although I did have a finger to switch to P-mode.
So, you switched to P-mode and then throttled up? Yeah, that would work.

So, you switched to P-mode and then throttled up? Yeah, that would work.

Oh, sorry, I meant: "I believe I was in F-mode although I did have a finger to switch to P-mode" [I corrected that typo in my previous post]

So I think I was in F-mode for Litchi and the throttle-up worked.

Oh, sorry, I meant: "I believe I was in F-mode although I did have a finger to switch to P-mode" [I corrected that typo in my previous post]

So I think I was in F-mode for Litchi and the throttle-up worked.

I always keep a finger on my mode switch while flying Litchi waypoints just in case of an "oh crap" moment. I know you can set it to control yaw or camera pitch, but I don't remember being able adjust altitude with the stick while running waypoints. Maybe you're thinking of Litchi's orbit feature?

> Maybe you're thinking of Litchi's orbit feature?

Yes, once I throttle-upped in Litchi orbit and it seemed to take effect.

And another time I at least thought I did that at a waypoint but maybe my waypoint "go here from 10m to 60m" worked instead (I was 500m away and wasn't sure if I really was to hit some trees or not. After 2 seconds I AFAIR cancelled by switching to P-more).

Re-reading Litchi manual seems to indicate throttle-up works in orbit mode, right?

> Maybe you're thinking of Litchi's orbit feature?

Yes, once I throttle-upped in Litchi orbit and it seemed to take effect.

And another time I at least thought I did that at a waypoint but maybe my waypoint "go here from 10m to 60m" worked instead (I was 500m away and wasn't sure if I really was to hit some trees or not. After 2 seconds I AFAIR cancelled by switching to P-more).

Re-reading Litchi manual seems to indicate throttle-up works in orbit mode, right?

Throttle-up and down works in orbit mode from what I remember. If you have two waypoints at different altitudes, the P3 will gradually adjust its altitude while heading to the new waypoint so it could have been that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20