ARRIS CM2000 Brushless Gimbal for GoPro

Well, I'm back at it again. messing with the settings. It just crapped out on me at my first real estate job. Good thing the owner is intrigued by the whole thing. The first battery was just perfect and then the second battery was so unstable, my servo gimbal would have been better. I'm selling it, and getting the DJI Zenmuse. unless someone can help me with what the settings do. I'm really just changing one setting at a time to see if I can tell if it is getting better. :?

BruceTS said:
ordered mine on the 2nd and got an e-mail on the 18th that it was gonna be shipped.
Great thanks. Gives me some insight on how long I'll be waiting. I live in Phoenix, so I imagine it will take a similar route. I was getting a bit nervous being as I sent over 300 bucks to a guy in China, and still hadn't heard a single word from them. Here's to hoping the product is better than their communication.

i am glad i am not the only one who has had trouble with my shipment from hobby-wing. to be honest thought, i am sure it is not entirely their fault. mine took a ride for 2 weeks already. emailed hobby-wing to inform them of not receiving the package. they are looking into it.

auck said:
i am glad i am not the only one who has had trouble with my shipment from hobby-wing. to be honest thought, i am sure it is not entirely their fault. mine took a ride for 2 weeks already. emailed hobby-wing to inform them of not receiving the package. they are looking into it.
Just don't hope so hard that it gets all funny on you. I'm having trouble with the board. The pitch gets all weird when the Phantom is sent flying. I thought the wire that you buy with the gimbal would be clean energy but its definitely not.

auck said:

Mine got delivered to my house today, won't go home till Wednesday, so probably won't get installed until this weekend. Already going to make a few changes, to balance out the load and just might use my CNC mill to make a few custom mounts.

MX45OR said:
Well, I'm back at it again. messing with the settings. It just crapped out on me at my first real estate job. Good thing the owner is intrigued by the whole thing. The first battery was just perfect and then the second battery was so unstable, my servo gimbal would have been better. I'm selling it, and getting the DJI Zenmuse. unless someone can help me with what the settings do. I'm really just changing one setting at a time to see if I can tell if it is getting better. :?

Have you been on rcgroups forum?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1892797

The thread linked is the official Arris Gimbal help tread from MFG. Also lots of information on what setting actually affect.

Hobby wing came out with a Hero 3 only mount and another version of the gimbal hero3 specific, this might help those who are having trouble balancing the camera properly.

http://www.hobby-wing.com/gopro3-cbron- ... m2000.html

Mine got delivered to my house today, won't go home till Wednesday, so probably won't get installed until this weekend. Already going to make a few changes, to balance out the load and just might use my CNC mill to make a few custom mounts.

I want a machine shop in my garage. The possibilities are endless with a mill, and lathe.

But on the Arris CM2000 subject, I've been reading some of this thread, and it seems like the gimbal can be kind of "hit or miss"
as far as functioning goes when it arrives.
If they take the time to assemble each one and do the calibrations, you would think there would be a problem free install.

Is the controller board programmed with an interface other than the Naza Assistant ? If yes, then what do you program in the
gimbal section of the Naza Assistant ?

Audaciter said:
But on the Arris CM2000 subject, I've been reading some of this thread, and it seems like the gimbal can be kind of "hit or miss"
as far as functioning goes when it arrives.
If they take the time to assemble each one and do the calibrations, you would think there would be a problem free install.

Is the controller board programmed with an interface other than the Naza Assistant ? If yes, then what do you program in the
gimbal section of the Naza Assistant ?

Well, I think with the earlier CM2000's it was a bit of his or miss, they had some bad boards and perhaps there were some kinks to work out. My first gimbal seemed to work fine when I first installed it, but then it went kapooey when i tried to attach pitch and roll. They company was great,. they sent me out a replacement controller but I had troubles installing it properly, so then they sent me out a full replacement gimbal which has worked flawlessly.

I think for the most part people have been satisfied with their CM2000's.
the NAZA settings should pretty much be left alone once turned on (and set to 0).

Then to actually change the gimbal settings you connect it up via a mini-USB connector to a PC and run the SimpleBG software, which will allow you to change a number of parameters and nuances. - tho it's in here where things get tricky and some people might make mistakes.

My whole garage is set-up as a metal fabrication shop, building offroad gear. Got an old Bridgeport Series 2 CNC vertical mill with updated electronics a few years ago. So using it to make quad parts is going to be a plus..

Gizmo3000 said:
I think for the most part people have been satisfied with their CM2000's.
the NAZA settings should pretty much be left alone once turned on (and set to 0).

Then to actually change the gimbal settings you connect it up via a mini-USB connector to a PC and run the SimpleBG software, which will allow you to change a number of parameters and nuances. - tho it's in here where things get tricky and some people might make mistakes.

Considering how many have been sold, compared to the number of people actually having problems, I think the Customer service has been wonderful. People are ranting and raving how good the DJI gimbal is, long before it's actually in the hands of the masses.

Ok' another bad day with the gimbal. I came home and brainstormed. The problem I'm having s the pitch goes wild when flying(pretty much useless at this point) and can barely make out what is in front of you. Nevermind getting footage to make a customer happy. So a while ago when I first opened up my Phantom, I cut a specific wire. Seemed a good idea at the time cause a guy in a video said it might short out the flight controller while in flight,so I cut it off.
I order the CM2000, man the footage looks awesome and is half the price of the Zenmuse. I watched videos of people hooking it up and everything, anything that could possibly help set up once in hand. I looked at all the videos again to see if I missed something. Realizing I did everything right except for one thing...the battery hookup was through a $10 wire for mine, and everyone elses was coming through the wire that I thought was a good idea to cut. So I took out all 20 screws and nuts, to pull the phantom apart,to hook up the wires . I hope this works cause these screws can only be taken in and out so many times before they get stripped out. Long story short, I solder on some new wires and cut the third leg off of a servo lead, to plug into the JST. Keeping the $10 wire together, just in case this wire thing don't work. Well, happy to say during the first flight test, flawless footage. Maybe this might work out, after all. Maybe I can get some good footage tomorrow, unless it rains all day.
Ok, so DON'T buy the $10 wire and just use the supplied wire for hookup of the Cm2000. I wonder why DJI doesn't use it, instead of the PMU V2?

Experienced users with the Arris Gimbal: Can somebody pinpoint the the cause of these vibrations? I'm highly doubtful wind is causing this because I get the same high frequency vibrations in different environments. I'm starting to think it could be the gimbal. Any help would be appreciated. (My motors and CF props are balanced)

http://youtu.be/sWaA1ZLHxPU

xzoticskillz said:
Experienced users with the Arris Gimbal: Can somebody pinpoint the the cause of these vibrations? I'm highly doubtful wind is causing this because I get the same high frequency vibrations in different environments. I'm starting to think it could be the gimbal. Any help would be appreciated. (My motors and CF props are balanced)

http://youtu.be/sWaA1ZLHxPU

It seems a lot of people are experiencing vibrations like this while at full speed ahead
..but doesn't seem to appear nearly as much when flying backwards

perhaps the root of this is the massive amount of air being blown down from the props towards the gimbal (and the isolation mounts, while flying forward.

The cure might be stiffer rubber balls, or anything else you can do to tighten things up

Audaciter said:
The cure might be stiffer rubber balls, or anything else you can do to tighten things up

You might just be right about that Gizmo3000. I had read somewhere that guys were stuffing them with a foam earplug.

The funny thing is, I do have foam earplugs in those rubber bushings haha. I put them in today and that video is the result. Would zip-ties be better?......I also had kyosho gel between gimbal plate and phantom body. All these isolations are in place to eliminate any jitters in the footage and yet I have obvious vibrations still, makes me think I need to adjust PID settings in the software. Nancy suggested changing the Power to 74 and 56 which I did as well.

xzoticskillz said:
Audaciter said:

You might just be right about that Gizmo3000. I had read somewhere that guys were stuffing them with a foam earplug.

The funny thing is, I do have foam earplugs in those rubber bushings haha. I put them in today and that video is the result. Would zip-ties be better?......I also had kyosho gel between gimbal plate and phantom body. All these isolations are in place to eliminate any jitters in the footage and yet I have obvious vibrations still, makes me think I need to adjust PID settings in the software. Nancy suggested changing the Power to 74 and 56 which I did as well.

i considered putting some Kyosho between gimbal and phantom as well, but didn't want to deal with having to extend my landing gear.
But I've had fairly good results with just the rubber balls alone, they seem to eliminate the high frequency vibrations that the Kyosho would reduce as well.
guess it couldn't hurt to try the zip-ties and report back. (and report back if the power changes might have helped)

It looks like when I detached the gimbal from the phantom and powered on I got these weird oscillations when gimbal approaches pitch angles near 45 degrees. Have you guys experienced this? View here:

http://youtu.be/lnAk4jKGeWo

I'm in communication with Nancy, so we shall see.

I was able to use kyosho gel because I have the Simensays V2 landing gear which gives me about 2 or 3 inches of clearance. I'm thinking about adding 2 strips to the bracket of the gimbal supporting the Hero 3 as well.

xzoticskillz said:
It looks like when I detached the gimbal from the phantom and powered on I got these weird oscillations when gimbal approaches pitch angles near 45 degrees. Have you guys experienced this? View here:

http://youtu.be/lnAk4jKGeWo

I'm in communication with Nancy, so we shall see.

I was able to use kyosho gel because I have the Simensays V2 landing gear which gives me about 2 or 3 inches of clearance. I'm thinking about adding 2 strips to the bracket of the gimbal supporting the Hero 3 as well.

Odd oscillations.
one thing I might recommend tho, is instead of using the velcro on the outside of the base plate (or whatever its called), run it thru the slots in the plate both front and back, that will keep it sitting perfectly center in the pitch (if that makes a difference).

I changed Naza values for pitch: 600 -600 Vibrations while extreme angle top/bottom finished. I use Manual Tilt. Also, must start in horizontal camera position. Check this:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAH-7HcuATU[/youtube]

Ok, so I did another 5 flights today with great results, again. So far so good. It seems as though you have to use the aux wire to hookup. I've had no problems since the initial problem. So don't buy that wire, its useless. as far as the jitters when at 90 deg pointing down, yes it seems to be a characteristic I could do without. I do use the straight down shot in almost all shoots. Its how it turns out at the end of editing, on whether I use it or not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164