Arizona Heat - Ok to fly?

Reaction score
I flew my drone yesterday in 100+ temps in Phoenix. Not sure if this was a good idea or not? My iPad mini was super hot after the flight. Any thoughts if it is ok to fly in the heat or not? Thanks

The DJI Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 both state that their operating temperature range is from 32° to 104° F ( 0° to 40° C ). However, not all UAVs operate the same. For the least risk of obtaining drone battery damage, I would try to fly when the temperatures are within the range provided.

I fly and flew my P4 year round. No problems. The prop wash keeps the drone cool enough. Planning to fly it tonight.

I live in Northeast Ohio and flew my PhantomPro4 in 90 degrees temps. Was only up about 10 minutes when my I-Pad mini overheated and shut down, since I lost contact my drone returned to home. My iPad mini is dedicated only to my Pro4, kind of shocked me that it kicked out like that so needless to say I'm a little paranoid about the heat.

As others have noted - the main problem is the Tablet / Phone as they really are not designed to stay out in the heat. They are basically designed to be 'in pocket' or away when not used and not out in the sun !!

A shade or some way to keep them cool is advised.

As regards the AC - its not so much the AC itself - its the battery pack that suffers most. Consider that it is inside a case - then inside a box ... heat is generated when in flight which cannot escape. Add this to the ambient temperature you are flying in.

So it is suggested that flight pattern / style be less aggressive to reduce load and heat generation of the battery pack.

Final word : plenty examples of DJI and other brands flying in Middle East / Africa / hot climates without any modifications.

North Phoenix here. 3 flights this week in temps of 110+ with no issues. I was not aware of temperature range for P4P v2 so I was not even thinking about it. Performed ok, battery and remote were warm as usual. I did have the live feed close and return to main screen, had to hit go fly to get live feed back. Never had that happen before maybe the heat? Yesterday’s flight there was some wind and the drone’s sound pitch was lower, was it working hard or do these things need a tune up?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.