Are you allowed to fly a drone on Disney Property?

It appears as though some of the surrounding parks are not bound by any flight restrictions:

Disney World FL:
954B11F1-E2A7-4266-8155-9F0A3462D443_zpsum4m4k1y.jpg

I totally agree with all of you. We were near Downtown Disney (before the new name change). I just wanted to take some video of the lagoon and some of the wooded areas. I definitely didn't plan to fly over the areas with people. I know some people would, and that's probably what ruins it for everyone else.

IMO, the policy wasn't clear, and I didn't find anything online that said you absolutely couldn't do it except in the parks themselves. Universal posts it very clear online. I understand Disney not wanting people to do it, and I'd probably have the same policy. The word "no fly zone" got repeated to me so much, and I kept telling them you can't just say an area is a no fly zone. Only the FAA can do that. I do understand that you can simply say someone can't come on to your private property and operate a drone. That's entirely different, but I never found it. The security guy on the phone said he was reading it on his computer. When I asked him where I could find it, he said it wasn't available to the public. LOL. Really? Anyway, I didn't want to ruin my vacation wrestling with Disney security, so we just went offsite and flew.

Disney does not control the airspace above their property. The NFZ was put into place at Disneys request by the FAA (odd a corporation gets its own NFZ by request)
It's only odd if you analyze it in the generic "corporations" and ignore the very pertinent context of a family amusement park.

I suspect that any private business with sufficient justification could also get an NFZ. In fact, I suspect Disney is not the only one without even checking.

Reactions: jakobe75
It's considered a " Open air assembly of people " 3000 feet above " is required & 3 miles horizontally for Aircraft . That includes fixed wing & helicopters.

Reactions: Dave Ryan
It's only odd if you analyze it in the generic "corporations" and ignore the very pertinent context of a family amusement park.

I suspect that any private business with sufficient justification could also get an NFZ. In fact, I suspect Disney is not the only one without even checking.

I think Disney is rather unique. If you look at an FAA map, there are only a handful of TFRs. You will see temporary ones pop up for Air Force One or the Vice President. Stadiums will also get them on game day. It got slipped in with 9/11 legislation from what I've read/heard.

I think Disney is rather unique. If you look at an FAA map, there are only a handful of TFRs. You will see temporary ones pop up for Air Force One or the Vice President. Stadiums will also get them on game day. It got slipped in with 9/11 legislation from what I've read/heard.
That is correct... I am not sure of any other for profit business aside from stadiums that get their own NFZ. Put into place after '9/11', originally it may have been a credible reason, but turned into a bonus for Disney since it was suppose to be temporary NFZ but they eventually made it permanent. I feel it had more to do with cooperating with Disney to prevent aircraft from flying over. Disney is very private about any type of filming on their properties. They even restrict the type of land based photographic equipment in the park, no tripods, etc. The TFR has both Disney parks in Cali & FLA listed as "National Defense Airspace".

Rumor has it that Walt requested the NFZ over MK because he didn't want any "visual intrusions" to effect a guest's experience at the park. Another rumor says Walt didn't want people flying over as a tourist attraction creating helicopter & small aircraft flights overhead. It could make sense as the park's popularlity grew, sightseeing increased. It is really interesting to see DL from the air, trying to pinpoint the well-known attractions. "Visual intrusions" could be a possibility too to not intrude on a guest's experience.

And yet another rumor is that the NFZ was place over both Disneyland and Walt Disney World the day before the Iraq war started last March. It was imposed by the FAA as a reaction to code Orange, not by Disney as I have been told by another source.

Interestingly enough, there is a private runway on the FLA Disney property built in 1970 that was used for a brief period of time. The runway is still there today but it is used for a maintenance parking & storage of miscellaneous items...

Disney_FL_68-75_DHC-6.jpg
Airfields_FL_OrlandoSW_htm_78c5157c.jpg

Shawnee Airlines and Executive Airlines both commenced service to Disney on 10/22/71 using Twin Otters. Shawnee initially offered nonstop service to Ft. Lauderdale, Orlando Herndon Airport, Tampa, and West Palm Beach while Executive operated nonstops to Orlando Herndon and Tampa. A third airline, VQ, operated by Volusia Aviation Service, used Beech Bonanzas and a Piper Cherokee on flights between Disney, Orlando Herndon and Daytona Beach.

A year or so ago Disney is asking for a provision in the NFZ to let them fly drones over the park for a light show instead of fireworks due to the high cost. Not sure what ever became of that.

In 1974 - 1982 there was an air themed concept for the San Diego park that would of included aerial rides but it never materialized though the land (200 acres near La Jolla) was purchased and all government approvals were obtained including ones needed for a private airport. The deep recession in 1982 made it near impossible to fund the $100 million park, but later on San Diego got Legoland instead.

Here's is the Victory Field image from Disney's America concept art...

Victory+Field.jpg

The Victory Field area of Disney's America would have paid tribute to World War II era servicemen and military technology. It would seem that some of those blue sky concepts ultimately evolved into the Condor Flats section of Disney's California Adventure. Press material provided the following description of Victory Field:

"The flight of the Wright brothers opened a new chapter in American history, bringing with it thrilling exploits and military advancements. With the assistance of modern technology, guests at Victory Field may parachute from a plane or operate tanks and weapons in combat, and experience firsthand what America's soldiers have faced in defense of freedom."

So there ya have it... more information than you ever wanted and no clear answer. :D

This is why disney wants to fly over their own property and entertain guests...and likely one reason they they dont want other folks drones wandering around. Search YT for "disney drone show".

Reactions: tjshelton
Disney controlling their airspace for profit and/or safety is a no brainer to me. Same with stadiums. It's an attraction you have to pay to see. You consume their product with your eyes.

This is why disney wants to fly over their own property and entertain guests...and likely one reason they they dont want other folks drones wandering around. Search YT for "disney drone show".

That was cool. Wonder how many drones were in the air and how much computing power it took to make it all happen

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

That was cool. Wonder how many drones were in the air and how much computing power it took to make it all happen

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app
I was.told over a hundrd and they are waterproofed and tbey have a dozen extra for ones that mafuntion.

i was wondering if I could fly near my hotel which is on Disney property, not the parks.

That seems like a real easy way to land yourself in Disney jail...

One thing to remember about Disney World is that it has the legal right to govern it's own land. Back in 1967, the Florida State Legislature created the Reedy Creek Improvement District for Disney. As Reedy Creek, Disney can create it's own school system, it's own criminal justice system, and has the authority to open a nuclear power plant. If they want to block drones, they have more legal avenues available to them would than most companies would have.

One thing to remember about Disney World is that it has the legal right to govern it's own land. Back in 1967, the Florida State Legislature created the Reedy Creek Improvement District for Disney. As Reedy Creek, Disney can create it's own school system, it's own criminal justice system, and has the authority to open a nuclear power plant. If they want to block drones, they have more legal avenues available to them would than most companies would have.

Interesting. Thank you

What I'm keen to know is the technology used for such precision positioning at night like that. They would need to control every drone within inches of precision. Off to google...

What I'm keen to know is the technology used for such precision positioning at night like that. They would need to control every drone within inches of precision. Off to google...
There are a few systems out there that will provide 1cm accuracy. Instead of using GPS, you could have a base station tracking each drone. Other systems use radio to locate fixed anchor points (at least 4) and interpolate their location on the time stamp difference between the anchor signals.

Holy crap. Im surprised they dont just have automated alpha drones that go and capture any quadcopters in the area and take them back to headquarters for disciplinary action....

That is incorrect. Disney cannot create it's own school system, criminal justice system or nuclear power plant. Disney is a very powerful corporation but they are limited by laws and regulations. Back in the 80s they wanted to build their own small airport on their property,FAA shut them down. several years ago they want to build a tram that ran directly from OIA to Disney, D.O.T told them no. Disney cannot have it's own Police department either. That is why Orange County Sheriffs patrol Disney but they do have their won security force and can detain you.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl