Are waypoints altitude specific?

rfc

Reaction score
I'd really like to plan a shoot where the P3A travels from one waypoint to another, where the the required altitude at the second is different than the first. Are waypoints "2D", that is just location specific, or can you plan a flight with waypoints at different altitudes?

Each waypoint can be set at a different altitude.

Thank you. I tried setting two points vertically; one above the other, 100' apart. It seemed to go well, but it wouldn't let me set one at the home point, nor would it let me set one within 30' of the ground, which is unfortunate, as I wanted one of them to be very close to the ground (10').

I haven't tried it yet, but when With The Birds says "referenced to the home point", does that mean the entire waypoint array will move relative to the home point if you start from a new homeport? If they're geo-referenced, why wouldn't they "stay put" regardless of where a new home point is set (like on a different day)?

Thank you. I tried setting two points vertically; one above the other, 100' apart. It seemed to go well, but it wouldn't let me set one at the home point, nor would it let me set one within 30' of the ground, which is unfortunate, as I wanted one of them to be very close to the ground (10').

I haven't tried it yet, but when With The Birds says "referenced to the home point", does that mean the entire waypoint array will move relative to the home point if you start from a new homeport? If they're geo-referenced, why wouldn't they "stay put" regardless of where a new home point is set (like on a different day)?
As WTB states, each of your WP altitude settings are referenced from your home point in the mission settings. If you want to start that particular mission from a different location/homepoint, you will probably have to fly manually to the first WP to load and fly the mission. The mission doesn't move with your new homepoint as its not dynamic in that sense. I start and end my missions within 30 mtrs of my homepoint so that I know where it is and have RTH as a finishing action. Not sure why you can't load a WP at your homepoint or why you cannot set a WP height at 10 feet as you are able to set both positive and negative heights at each way point.

As WTB states, each of your WP altitude settings are referenced from your home point in the mission settings. If you want to start that particular mission from a different location/homepoint, you will probably have to fly manually to the first WP to load and fly the mission. The mission doesn't move with your new homepoint as its not dynamic in that sense. I start and end my missions within 30 mtrs of my homepoint so that I know where it is and have RTH as a finishing action. Not sure why you can't load a WP at your homepoint or why you cannot set a WP height at 10 feet as you are able to set both positive and negative heights at each way point.
Thanks, but I'm still confused. Say you are at homepoint 1. You fly and save a route A, B, C, where point A is 100' south of the home point. Then shut down, and fire up at a home point 1/4 mile away. Fly the route.
Will it go from the new home point to point A and then proceed? Your statement "referenced from your home point" implies that it will not, but will fly to a point 100' south of the new home point and proceed. That would be pretty useless IMO. There'd be no point in saving routes.

Thanks, but I'm still confused. Say you are at homepoint 1. You fly and save a route A, B, C, where point A is 100' south of the home point. Then shut down, and fire up at a home point 1/4 mile away. Fly the route.
Will it go from the new home point to point A and then proceed? Your statement "referenced from your home point" implies that it will not, but will fly to a point 100' south of the new home point and proceed. That would be pretty useless IMO. There'd be no point in saving routes.
You can load a mission from a new homepoint but from memory, there is a distance limit (I can't remember what it is) to load from a revised homepoint for it to work other than flying towards your first WP and loading the mission. The issue would be that a revised homepoint would affect your finishing action .i.e. RTH.
I have a number of missions in the same area where I fly to depict the scenery I want to capture. Easy to build, load and fly.

When you are building a waypoint route (in Litchi), you set waypoint 1, W2 etc.
You do not set your homepoint as that is set automatically by the Phantom when you power it up.
Home is wherever you start up the Phantom.
But you wouldn't set a waypoint mission from W1 to W2 to W3, fly o W1 and back again and shut down.
You might like to think a bit more about what waypoint missions are for and how they work.
This is what a waypoint mission looks like:
i-pqBG2ZH-L.png

The number in the cloud above each waypoint is the altitude of the waypoint.
If you want to fly to one point and back again, you'd make a mission with only one waypoint.

btw ... If you are a new flyer, you have a lot to learn about basic flying and how the Phantom is programmed before I'd recommend attempting to fly waypoints.

Reactions: rfc

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20