Are there any drone restrictions for the Outerbanks of NC?

Reaction score
Is anyone aware of any local law or ordinance that restricts drones on the Outerbanks of NC? I know that Kittyhawk has restricted airspace because of the airstrip, but I'll be further north in Duck, NC. There looks like some open space on the sound side that would be great for flying and I'm planning on taking my P3S with me on vacation.

Will you by flying recreationally or under Part 107?

Recreationally. There is a private airstrip, Pine Island Airport, that is a few miles from where I'm staying. It's not marked as a NFZ on DJI's FlySafe maps, so I don't think that would be a problem. I was considering calling to see if I could get permission to fly from there, but it looks like charter flights run from there.

As near as I can tell, recreational drone flying is allowed on the Outerbanks, with some limitations. At the county level, there is a page about drone flying that prohibits you from flying from areas administered by the National Parks Service (some of the beaches, the lighthouses). The town of Nags Head passed some additional restrictions last year, but I'll be staying in Duck, which does not have any restrictions.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl