Anyone in the Raleigh NC area?

Reaction score
Hey all! I’m in the Raleigh/ Triangle area In NC and truthfully there’s not a lot of beautiful scenery here to capture. At least in my opinion. Actually, I should say when it comes to landscape type of scenery. Architecturally there’s some good here just not much else.

My question is would anyone be interested in making a day trip either east or west to capture some beautiful scenery footage? I think NC is beautiful enough that a day trip any time of the year could give us amazing results. Sadly, I was just near the mountains at the Pisgah national forest recently but truthfully i was too scared of laws and restrictions near some of the beautiful spots that I missed out on some potentially great shots.

I tried searching on MeetUp for drone groups but no luck. Just tired of flying at local parks/fields is all.

thanks!

Reactions: MTO
You need more confidence. Do you have an app like Kittyhawk? It will let you know if it is OK to fly and how far you are from a no fly zone"NFZ" or temporary flight restriction. If everything is fine, it will say, "Go Fly".

Reactions: Capt KO
You need more confidence. Do you have an app like Kittyhawk? It will let you know if it is OK to fly and how far you are from a no fly zone"NFZ" or temporary flight restriction. If everything is fine, it will say, "Go Fly".

Please correct me if I'm wrong but those apps just tell me if it's allowed airspace. That, I can deal with...it's the local cops, rangers I'm worried about. City/local type ordinances.

Reactions: MTO
I fly a lot and never had any official give me any problem. They love my drones and was just curious. Park rangers kept people from bothering me. Lol They wanted to know if I was going to post it on YouTube.
Yes.I do remember one time. I was flying the length of a 2,000 + ft. dam. I was standing beside the dam and the maintainece men asked me not to fly over the dam. They were really nice and we laughed and joked about things. They were worried about surveillance for a terror attack. There was no posting not to fly. I told them they need to tighten up and get the signs up.

Reactions: Capt KO and ron-ep
I've flown all over the Cape Fear region of NC taking photos for real estate as well as for my own portfolio (close to 9,000 photos since the beginning of this year) and have never been challenged by any official of any sort. The only legal restriction for drones (aside from the regulations about privacy & surveillance) I know of in NC are the State parks. I've talked with some local cops and they have always been supportive "as long as you don't act like an idiot" (quote from a local sheriff)!

Reactions: Capt KO
I'm up in Virginia. I'm under the impression that NC has a requirement of their own test to be able to do commercial drone work. Is this still the case? How was the test?

Yes - NC requires passing a DOT test to fly commercially. First pre-req is to get part 107 from FAA. Then you must read the NC statutes pertaining to drones. Then take the test - it's essentially an open book test to verify you read the statutes - not hard.

Yes - NC requires passing a DOT test to fly commercially. First pre-req is to get part 107 from FAA. Then you must read the NC statutes pertaining to drones. Then take the test - it's essentially an open book test to verify you read the statutes - not hard.
Thanks....doing this has been on my "to do" list but it simply has no happened yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.