Are quieter props available for P4?

I read yesterday that the updated ESCs of the P4P-V2 use a sine wave for smoother changes in speed whereas the original P4P ESCs use a square wave. The smoother changes in speed help keep the average sound lower.

This guy mentions more detail about it in his review video starting at about 2:43.

A giant disclaimer is that this is not an area of expertise for me. I am only repeating what I heard and don't know for sure if it's accurate or even makes any sense.
They are probably using the same Texas Instruments MCU and other components they first implemented in the P3 (they ground the original TI branding off the MCU but it’s well known which component it is)- they basically implemented the original TI application note without change. It was pure sine wave drive then.

Time will tell what if anything has been changed with the motor drive architecture. Sine wave drive isn’t a new feature for DJI through. The P3 wasn’t square wave, I doubt they took a backward step with the P4 and Pro....

Yes the ‘new’ props will work on the P4 range of Phantoms - DJI site confirms this:
Buy Phantom 4 Series Low-Noise Propellers
Thanks for the LInk. Looks like they're out of stock right now, but when back in stock I'll try them on my P4 Std. So far the noise comparison videos shows that the "volume" is reduced a bit but the "noise pitch" is a lower frequency which is a little bit easier on the ears, and doesn't sound so much like bunch of enraged Hornets...

Just received a shipping confirmation from DJI, the new props are shipping from Shenzhen (via Fedex), so hopefully in a few days I'll have an answer for just what reduction in the higher frequency noise is and will check the flight logs for any increase in current vs. the current standard props.

Reactions: armand.vermeulen
Thanks for the LInk. Looks like they're out of stock right now, but when back in stock I'll try them on my P4 Std. So far the noise comparison videos shows that the "volume" is reduced a bit but the "noise pitch" is a lower frequency which is a little bit easier on the ears, and doesn't sound so much like bunch of enraged Hornets...
don't expect much of a difference . the new so called low noise props are not really lower noise just different pitch . tested mine today and i could hear the so called low noise props further out then the standard props . the drone seems a but more stable with the LN props but that's about it so if your looking for a true noise reduction in props keep waiting

Got a chance to try out the new props yesterday. I first inspected each as with any new prop check, and the finish and balance were pretty much the same as the standard props, and balance was pretty good as well, enough so that I didn't think that it was enough to require any sanding. Hubs and fit are the same as the standard P4. As reported earlier, flight tests to evaluate any reduced prop noise (subjectively by ear) they did seem to be lower in production the higher pitched sounds but the lower pitch sounds were basically unchanged, and like the previous tester it did seem that I could hear the props farther out than the standard ones. Probably due to the fact that depending on conditions, the lower frequency sounds propagate farther than the higher frequencies. Very little difference "volume" by ear and did not use a db meter, although I do have one. If by chance someone does want do a actual volume test with a db meter, the standard distance is 1 meter away, and use the "c" weighting on the meter. This scale is used because it approximates the response of the human ear which is non-linear.

Based on this, I'll just consider the new props as a spare set, as my originals are still in good flight condition.

As I posted in another post my perception was that they were actually louder.

I got my order of two sets today and tried them out on the P4 standard. First off, they definitely look a lot more attitudinal. With a db app on my phone, they were about three db quieter, but they are a bit lower frequency as well, so a lot less annoying to the human ear. I like them!

Reactions: armand.vermeulen

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4