Are my batteries swollen?

Reaction score
Hi folks

Just pulled out my rig, long dormant, and have what I suspect are dodgy batteries. I am unfamiliar with what "swollen" or "puffy" batteries look like, so would appreciate some input on my set of 3, pictures attached.

Everything, including batteries, was originally purchased in early in 2013 (for a trip to Antarctica) (which it proved futile for, because the magnetic fields are so converged at that latitude that I couldn't calibrate the bloody thing). It sounds like, 4 years later, these batteries are probably overstaying their welcome, though I would estimate that between all three of them they have only flown a few hours, tops. I've barely used it.

Additionally, my entire rig has been in storage in its hard case in my garage for about a year, where temperatures have probably varied from below freezing to bloody hot - I live in eastern Washington, which is summer desert country that gets snowed under in winter.

I would describe these as "puffy" because they're pliable, indicating the battery within isn't necessarily swollen itself, but I'd appreciate input from those in know.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_8808.JPG
    IMG_8808.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 520
  • IMG_8811.JPG
    IMG_8811.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 569
My batteries are all hard. After setting that long in those enviroments, I would get rid of them. I would not even try to charge them.

Those batteries are showing the very common symptom of improper storage. The puffiness is due to chemical breakdown internally. If they do charge at all they will not have any useful run time. Best to
just dispose of properly.

I wouldn't risk it. Last thing you need is a power cut out which will wreck your drone and possibly kill someone. Best to invest in new batteries mate. But do feel free to chuck all batteries in a fire, film it, and stand well back. Would be interesting to see what happens so other people can see

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Thanks folks - as suspected then!

Anyone got any good recommendations for a secondhand market? This rig is going to waste in my garage, and the case alone is worth a few hundred bucks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4