Are flights in national parks permitted during a government shutdown?

Reaction score
For the record, I'm not planning on doing this. The question occurred to me today and I'm curious as to the legalities.

Not sure. Just curious on if things change during that time. I'm 90% sure it doesn't, but it's a unique situation and I wasn't sure if it was a free for all.
It's actually not unique. This has happened before and it will probably happen again. A temporary shutdown does not affect current regulations.

There is no stipulation in the FAA regs stating that rules can be disregarded at any time without a waiver. The national parks have closed, the FAA whose rules we fly under has not.

Just because the parks will be closed does not mean it does not belong to the government. Closed or open, it’s a national park.

There is no stipulation in the FAA regs stating that rules can be disregarded at any time without a waiver. The national parks have closed, the FAA whose rules we fly under has not.

The prohibition on sUAS operations in National Parks has absolutely nothing to do with the FAA - it is an NPS order (Policy Memorandum 14-05) under the authority of 36 CFR 1.5.

The prohibition on sUAS operations in National Parks has absolutely nothing to do with the FAA - it is an NPS order (Policy Memorandum 14-05) under the authority of 36 CFR 1.5.

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Many parks are open, but there are no Park Service services, visitors centers open, or rangers. I think the OP really meant that is is unlikely that you would get caught if you flew within park boundaries. Hmmm, tempting.....

Reactions: MTO
Many parks are open, but there are no Park Service services, visitors centers open, or rangers. I think the OP really meant that is is unlikely that you would get caught if you flew within park boundaries. Hmmm, tempting.....

Very bad idea for our industry as a whole. The more "attention" we bring to ourselves the worse it's going to be going forward. Some of us take this VERY seriously as it's how we pay our bills and put food on our tables for our families.

Seems like I recall an earlier incident where a recording was made over a National Park and placed on the internet. The NPS went after the person and charged him, using the recording as evidence...

So far the youtube master who made a point of posting the flight made over grand prismatic in Yellowstone has been the only case I know of where the Park Service is pursuing something. Flew in a known no fly situation, entered the park when closed in winter, and then posted results.

It's too bad that a permit policy can't be worked out as the Hot Springs in Yellowstone and pools are such perfect subjects for a aerial shot. But it's the same thing, crowds, and drones just don't seem to mix.

Paul C

Very bad idea for our industry as a whole. The more "attention" we bring to ourselves the worse it's going to be going forward. Some of us take this VERY seriously as it's how we pay our bills and put food on our tables for our families.

Of course it is, Al. I said two things. One was what I thought the OP meant. The other was a silly comment not to be taken seriously.

For the record, I'm not planning on doing this. The question occurred to me today and I'm curious as to the legalities.

Yes and no, but not for reasons you may think.

First, flights over National Parks are permitted under certain circumstances. You cannot launch or land within parks, endanger people or harass wildlife, etc. The parks don't permit overflights (without special permission), but they are powerless to do anything about it lawfully because the FAA makes the laws.

None of this means you cannot be harassed or interfered with by park rangers who may overstep their authority or that you won't find yourself in a costly or unpleasant situation even if you are obeying all laws.

I am NOT s lawyer and the above is my lay opinion based on my personal understanding, right or wrong as it may be.

Even though parts of the government have shutdown, the laws and regulations are still in effect.

For example, most of the DEA is on furlough but meth and heroin are still illegal. You might have an easier chance of getting away with having some meth or heroin but the fact remains that it is still illegal.

Kidnapping is still illegal even though the FBI is partially shut down. And so on.

In any case, the DJI geofence blocks me from nature reserves and national parks by default. I don't think the geofence was affected by the partial shutdown.

"if a drone flies in the woods and nobody hears or sees it, did it actually fly?"

- anonymous

Reactions: JeffreyS
What does it mean to drone on?
verb (used without object), droned, dron·ing. to make a dull, continued, low, monotonous sound; hum; buzz. to speak in a monotonous tone. to proceed in a dull, monotonous manner (usually followed by on): The meeting droned on for hours.;)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl