April Fools HOAX ~ FAA Extends ADS-B Mandate To 2040

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
For those of you who are using FlightRadar24 (or any other app to tell you what "some" of the airtraffic is in your area) you may have a much longer wait ahead of you now. Initially this was slated for 2020 but it's now been pushed back TWO decades.

"Conceding that aircraft owners—and even airlines—aren’t equipping quickly enough with ADS-B, the FAA on Sunday announced that it’s extending the mandate deadline to Jan. 1, 2040. Previously the equipage deadline was 2020."....... Click the link below for FULL article details:

FAA Extends ADS-B Mandate To 2040 - AVweb flash Article

For those of you who are using FlightRadar24 (or any other app to tell you what "some" of the airtraffic is in your area) you may have a much longer wait ahead of you now. Initially this was slated for 2020 but it's now been pushed back TWO decades.

"Conceding that aircraft owners—and even airlines—aren’t equipping quickly enough with ADS-B, the FAA on Sunday announced that it’s extending the mandate deadline to Jan. 1, 2040. Previously the equipage deadline was 2020."....... Click the link below for FULL article details:

A 20 year extension seems excessive, given that the cost of ADS-B units is relatively low compared to the costs of buying, flying and maintaining an aircraft.

It will take that long for our friends at the FAA to make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Is there anything left to complicate? The technology is already available, approved and in use. Surely all that is missing is the requirement to use it.

Is there anything left to complicate? The technology is already available, approved and in use. Surely all that is missing is the requirement to use it.

It's not what they are missing but what WE are missing.... Pilot's give (generously) to their organizations and those organizations in turn hire "lobbyists". I don't doubt for one minute that either the powers to be have put pressure on the lobbyists to "sink this concept" or this is a mistake (typo) somewhere.

Yep, I agree. ADS-B is readily available, but requirements to use it are far from being determined for drones. CFR 91.225 is only for full size aircraft so far. ADS-B is simple. FAA is the complicated entity I was referring to.

Yep, I agree. ADS-B is readily available, but requirements to use it are far from being determined for drones. CFR 91.225 is only for full size aircraft so far. ADS-B is simple. FAA is the complicated entity I was referring to.

Oh - right - I was referring to them delaying the requirement to use it on manned aircraft, not drones.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

That all of you fell for this gives me very little confidence in your ability to keep your drones clear of my helicopter... Notice the date? And lack of backup articles?

Reactions: sar104
That all of you fell for this gives me very little confidence in your ability to keep your drones clear of my helicopter... Notice the date? And lack of backup articles?

Oh that is catastrophically embarrassing. If only I had actually read the article...

Reactions: captainmilehigh
Ok BigAl, tell the truth now...........did this fool you too.?.........or did you just fool us? [emoji848][emoji849]

I'd love to say I knew it was a prank but I totally fell for it hook, line, and sinker LOL.

Nice FIRST post on our forum. It's always nice when someone adds something of substance to our community . . . (heavy sarcasm).

Reactions: sar104
I propose we retire “fake news” and replace it with “April fools!”

I’ll show myself out.

Reactions: BigAl07
Life would be almost worthless without a bit of mirth, tomfoolery, vulgarity, and so on!
Fill yer boots, folks, yer a long time dead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20