Anyone with State Farm Insurance..

My State Farm policy is a great deal. I live in Iowa. My drone coverage is just $30/yr for $1000 coverage. Covers loss, theft, crash on land or water. I am a current State Farm customer with a home and a car insured by them already.
I took my drone, controller, batteries, props, etc into the State Farm office. Laid it all out and we decided to just insured the drone. I suppose I could have covered the controller, but figured the drone was far more likely to be lost or damaged than a controller.
I guess Im happy that I know my drone is insured and can fly a little more at ease, knowing if it does crash, I will get reimbursed for the loss. :)

Last edited:
@kerry...

That's great knowledge to pass along, thank you!

Are you in NJ, perhaps?
My homeowners ins. will not cover aircraft.

Are you a current State Farm customer, or did you simply walk into an Agent's office with all your gear and say, "I'd like to insure all this for $1000 with $0 deductible, please."

What is the type of State Farm Policy that covers UAVs?

Thanks for the help!

Safe Flights & Great Sights!
Walt

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I went round and round with my State Farm agent over UAV insurance (Fort Smith, AR). They flat out told me, "We do not cover UAV's even under Home Owners" and right across the river, the State Farm agent there said, "Yep, $60.00 and the bird is insured."

@kerry...

That's great knowledge to pass along, thank you!

Are you in NJ, perhaps?
My homeowners ins. will not cover aircraft.

Are you a current State Farm customer, or did you simply walk into an Agent's office with all your gear and say, "I'd like to insure all this for $1000 with $0 deductible, please."

What is the type of State Farm Policy that covers UAVs?

Thanks for the help!

Safe Flights & Great Sights!
Walt

I'm in NJ. All I did was call State Farm and tell them I was looking for coverage for my drone. The agent had to verify they offered coverage and put me on hold while he verified. He came back and told me yes they did. He asked me for the information on the drone. He needed the brand, etc. I told him it was a DJI Phantom 4 (Black Best Buy Edition). He asked for a copy of the receipt and a detailed description of the drone. I emailed him a copy of the receipt and a screen shot of Best Buy's page for the P4 Black Edition, which he said would suffice. That was all they needed. It cost me $50 to cover the drone at full coverage at full retail cost for a year. Not bad compared to DJI's price for their plans. And to answer your question about what type of policy, I was told it is a "Personal Articles" policy. It has a $0 deductible.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: WSCorp65
I live in north Georgia. Insured my P4, back pack carrying case and new Panasonic Lumix FZ300 camera all together on a "personal property" policy for $60 a year. This amounts to roughly $1600 in coverage. I had to provide invoice receipts to show what I paid as well as serial numbers for identification.

I went round and round with my State Farm agent over UAV insurance (Fort Smith, AR). They flat out told me, "We do not cover UAV's even under Home Owners" and right across the river, the State Farm agent there said, "Yep, $60.00 and the bird is insured."

They don't insure UAVs per se which is where a lot of the confusion comes from for these agents. They cover camera equipment, which the Phantoms are considered, under their personal article policy

Hello everyone. I am in the process of getting Insurance for my P3P, have to call them tomorrow. They want to know the weight of a P3P, they also asked if it was for commercial or recreational use. They had told me that they cannot ensure if I'm using it for commercial use, I told them no it's recreational use only. So if somebody with State Farm for their bird can please post the weight of the craft and anything else I should know when talking to the insurance company I would really appreciate it. Thanks guys...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
I have mine on my State Farm policy. I strongly recommend it. Also get DJI Care. State Farm only needed the purchase receipt.

They don't insure UAVs per se which is where a lot of the confusion comes from for these agents. They cover camera equipment, which the Phantoms are considered, under their personal article policy

...well, they never mentioned that...just told me they didn't insure UAV's in any form or fashion. Another State Farm agent said no problem and insured the bird. BTW, all my camera equipment is covered by my agent... go figure.

Guess it's time to see what it's worth. I flew my P4 backwards into a tree. Called SF and they asked me to send it to a DJI service center for an estimate. My guess is that I'm right on the edge between repair and replace. I gave the NYC service Denver a call, they gave me a service ticket number, and I put it in the mail this morning. It should arrive on Monday, so I should know the estimate next week sometime. Then I'll call SF and see how they handle it. I was told on the Phantom 4 Facebook group that they will be really good and fair, but that I can expect them to cancel the policy shortly after I get the check... we'll see.?

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app

@Ant...

Also in NJ here. I contacted a local State Farm Agent.
I'll be their first UAV policy, they had to research it and get back to me.

Bottom line: $60 annual premium buys $1500 coverage for loss, damage, crash, flyaway, etc, but NOT liability. $0 deductible!

I'm ok with no liability, I won't be flying near people or property.

I have mine insured with State Farm but it's under my personal articles. That's the only option I was told. Doesn't matter if your flying recreational or commercial.

Reactions: WSCorp65
My agent only wanted serial numbers and values. I gave her the receipts for my case and extra batteries and a print off of what it would cost to replace from Best Buy. Mine was also bought at a discount during Christmas so the receipt shows a lower cost. $1500 of coverage against theft or crash/ fly away, for $60 a year. It is a personal article policy.

They will not cover commercial only recreational and wouldn't cover the iPad.

There is damage/loss insurance and liability insurance. You would need liability insurance (and a Part 107 license) if you were doing commercial work. For damage and loss insurance, contact your home owner insurance to see if it covers your drone. Otherwise contact State Farm...
State Farm @$65 (existing customer) - no issues.

Guess it's time to see what it's worth. I flew my P4 backwards into a tree. Called SF and they asked me to send it to a DJI service center for an estimate. My guess is that I'm right on the edge between repair and replace. I gave the NYC service Denver a call, they gave me a service ticket number, and I put it in the mail this morning. It should arrive on Monday, so I should know the estimate next week sometime. Then I'll call SF and see how they handle it. I was told on the Phantom 4 Facebook group that they will be really good and fair, but that I can expect them to cancel the policy shortly after I get the check... we'll see.?

Sent from my SM-T813 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Question for you. Do you have to send it to Dji? I have a local drone repair vendor that I'd prefer to use vs dji..

Experience?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yea, this SF insurance agent I have wouldn't insure it if was for commercial use - just hobby/recreational.
Also of interest was the discussion of "fly-away's" or "no-return-to home". Any of those events are considered a crash/loss - covered.
BTW - When I brought in the required prof of original purchase the insurance covered all the items listed in my Phantom 4 Executive Kit V2 purchase - batteries, Nanuk 950 case etc. are all covered.

I insured my Phantom 4 with State Farm over the phone. He only needed a copy of the receipt emailed to him. And I don't have any other policies with StateFarm.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dlr11164