Anyone using iPad Air 2 with P4P

Reaction score
I have read the chart that shows that the iPad Air 2 is compatible with the P4P. I am just wondering if anyone is using the two together and if so how do you like it? I know the bird hasn't shipped yet but I have seen a few videos on the P4P and thought I would take a long shot and ask.

I have a chance to buy an iPad Air 2, 64GB, wi-fi and cellular, and several other very nice accessories for a good price. The unit was bought in August and is owned by my boss. As much as he wants to go with Apple his business just runs with Microsoft and he is going to part ways with the iPad. I will be buying the pro very soon and would rather have an iPad.

Does the Air 2 for sale have SIM/cellular in it or not? If it has, you might be good to go since it has a barometer and GPS within it and you can update maps, attempt to get an unlock in a NFZ area out in rural areas with the cellular part. The barometer might be needed for Follow-me modes too.

The DJI screen may be brighter out in daylight, but haven't seen a comparison yet. It might be more problem-free on updates and video lag matters too...maybe.

Hi,
I use an iPad Pro with my P4. The iPad Pro is very similar to the Air2 so I couldn't see any problems. My screen is 9.7 inches so doesn't fit on the remote tablet holder without using a 3D printed bracket which is available on Amazon & eBay.

Reactions: matechpr
Picture of bracket.

Attachments

• Bracket.jpg
    Bracket.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 572
Hi,
I use an iPad Pro with my P4. The iPad Pro is very similar to the Air2 so I couldn't see any problems. My screen is 9.7 inches so doesn't fit on the remote tablet holder without using a 3D printed bracket which is available on Amazon & eBay.

I have the Air 2 with the 9.7" screen and it fits my P4 transmitter without the bracket - barely - by 1mm.

I also have a 10" Samsung and it needs that bracket which I have, but the cable exits middle where the RC clamp is at and will not fit unless I slide the tablet to one side for the cable to exit, or put it in the clamp with the mini-USB cable resting on the center bottom clamp too. Anyway, the Samsung is such a poor video receiver (Lags with red and green patterns.) that it got dumped for the Air 2 + cellular which is a vast improvement on video lag matters over the Samsung.

Hi,
Surprised you have to use an extender....I use an iPad Air, and as GMack says above, it just fits in the standard holder. As the Pro and the Air are the same size (240x169.5), you ought to be able to squeeze it in.

Surprised you have to use an extender....I use an iPad Air, and as GMack says above, it just fits in the standard holder. As the Pro and the Air are the same size (240x169.5), you ought to be able to squeeze it in.
My iPad has a cover, which makes it too big for the standard holder.

By looking at reviews one would see that the early units sent out all seem to have the attached 5.5" screen.

I use iPad Air2 with my P4, but it's a struggle sometimes in the bright sun. However, I won't be interested in a 5.5", that's way too small IMO. I'll look at the 7.9" CrystalSky display when it's available, I could get along with that size OK.

However, you guys might want to try my latest trick. In bright sunlight, take a beach-towel and throw it over your head and display while flying. I know, sounds crazy, but it works well to keep out sun glare.

I'm going to make a special ball cap for flying that has about a 3' cape down my back to keep the sun off my back. Then when I fly I'll turn the hat around, putting the cape forward, with it hanging over the iPad screen. A little velcro on the top of the display clip will help keep the cape taunt while flying. Call me crazy, and I'm sure I'll look like a geek, but it will work. I don't give a rip about what people think. It demotivate people from talking to me while flying, since I'm hiding under my cape. I might embroider a message to say "Quiet while flying", on the bill of my ball cap. I'll post photos after I try it out. I'll name it my "Cape Cap"

Last edited:
Reactions: Daptone
Before you go into production...it is "Quiet" not "Quite".. LOL! You might be on to something!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
K.

However, you guys might want to try my latest trick. In bright sunlight, take a beach-towel and throw it over your head and display while flying. I know, sounds crazy, but it works well to keep out sun glare.

I'm going to make a special ball cap for flying that has about a 3' cape down my back to the sun off my back. Then when I fly I'll turn the hat around, putting the cape forward, with it hanging over the iPad screen. my "Cape Cap"

Bet that really helps with the line of sight requirement too!

Has anyone used the iPad Air v1 with the Phantoms? Have a P4P on order and an iPhone 7plus and an iPad Air. Wondering which I should plan on using.

Have a P4P on order and an iPhone 7plus and an iPad Air. Wondering which I should plan on using.
Both are compatible with DJI GO. Try them both and see which screen size works best for you.

Thanks. I see people talking about the Air 2 and Mini 3 all the time but not the original air. I guess it will come down to screen size vs brightness and processor speed.

Thanks guys for the responses. I am a little worried about the screen brightness, or lack there of but I am an apple guy. The included monitor is to small for me I think, I'm leaning hard on buying this ipad.

Question in reference the service on the iPad. If he already has service on it, say through verizon, is there anything I need to do to free that up? I will not be activating the service. I see some iPads for sale on eBay and they say unlocked, does this have anything to do with the service? What would I need to do to make this iPad mine after I purchase it from him?
Sorry for what may be a stupid question to some but I have never purchased a used iPad.

If he already has service on it, say through verizon, is there anything I need to do to free that up? I will not be activating the service.
No. He should cancel the service before he sells it.

I see some iPads for sale on eBay and they say unlocked, does this have anything to do with the service?
Yes. It means it's not tied to a certain carrier (e.g. Verizon). I've never owned an unlocked iPad, so I'm not sure which carriers they run on.

My iPad has a cover, which makes it too big for the standard holder.

I use an iPad Air 2 with a case and it fits...but just. I have to open the clamp all the way and put the Air 2 in bottom first, compress the foam a little and insert the top. A little snug but no issues.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31