Anyone tried a zoom lens in the P3?

Reaction score
Website
fishcrow.com
I am considering trying a zoom lens in the P3 for surveys of habitats and birds, which are difficult to identify with the stock lens. I would be interested in inputs from anyone who has tried a zoom lens, how it worked out, any problems that arose, etc. In the past, I learned the hard way that you have to be very careful when selecting a zoom lens. If it's not a good match, there can be a serious loss in quality, vignetting, and other problems.

To my knowledge there isn't one available to fit the DJI Camera/Gimbal unit on the P3 series of UAS. Keep in mind the motor is very small on the gimbal and if the unit isn't perfectly balanced you'll get Gimbal Overload from the very beginning.

With that being said, if you do find one please let us know.

The Inspire Series of UAS have interchangeable cameras and Zoom is capable on many of them. Also the Mavic has "digital zoom" which is a nice feature.

More information on zoom lenses:
You are confusing your terminology.
The lenses you are talking about are not zoom lenses.
A zoom lens has a variable focal length that allows you to zoom in and out.
The lenses you are asking about are fixed focal length lenses with different focal lengths.

The lenses you are asking about are fixed focal length lenses with different focal lengths.
Thanks -- that is correct. I'm talking about lenses that, as stated on the web site link above, provide "more than a 2X zoom over the stock lens." I would not consider trying to mount a lens with an adjustable lens on the P3, and in fact there would be no way to control it.

Thanks -- that is correct. I'm talking about lenses that, as stated on the web site link above, provide "more than a 2X zoom over the stock lens." I would not consider trying to mount a lens with an adjustable lens on the P3, and in fact there would be no way to control it.
Another option that could be several months off, would be to go with the P5 when it eventually comes out.
Leaks indicate that it will offer interchangeable lenses including a 50mm (35mm equivalent)
Phantom 5 Leaks

Reactions: JoBe
Just to add.....there are vari focal lenses and there are zoom lenses ... a bit different from each other

My main worry would be balancing the camera and not overloading the gimbal motors. Peoople already talk about ND filters and gimbals !!

But just a thought : I have a set of 'clip-on' lenses for mobile phone .... only trouble there is lens diameter is too small for our P3 camera ...

Nigel

Aside from the gimble balance issues you may find the limits of the gimble stabilisation also. The higher the focal length the more apparent any inaccuracies will be.

Aside from the gimble balance issues you may find the limits of the gimble stabilisation also. The higher the focal length the more apparent any inaccuracies will be.
COuld this be why there have been focus issues with these before? maybe jusyt shaking while trying to keep stable?

I have always found the picture to be extremely sharp with the stock lens. So the gimbal is very effective at keeping the camera steady, and I wouldn't expect zooming in by just a factor of two or so to make any residual shaking to become noticeable. I'm going to call the vendor to ask about their lenses and any issues that have arisen.

Reactions: JoBe
More like a prime lens. ..

I use mine to inspect radio towers and would love to find a zoom lens also for a p4p. Never found one yet. Let me know if u do. Crashed 3 drones so far trying to get close enough

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic