Anyone hit End of Life on their P3 battery?

Reaction score
Has anyone hit end of life yet on their P3 battery?
If so, how many cycles as measured by the Pilot app?
If not, are you above 60 cycles as measured by the Pilot app?

Trying to plan my battery needs over the summer [emoji6]

If it's the same as the p2 it has 300 cycles so dji say. They also said to not drain the battery below 20% and once every 20 cycles discharge it below 8% to prolong battery life. Again that's just my assumption that it's the same as the p2 battery

I have to know one person that have had the p2 battery last 300 cycles. Like google says "maybe you're looking for 40-50 cycles"...[emoji1]

If you only get 40-50 cycles, you're doing something wrong. People simply don't understand how to take care of them. There's a lot more to it than many believe.

Care to enlighten us?

There's a lot to cover... Checkout the link below for some excellent info.

http://sites.google.com/site/tjinguytech/charging-how-tos

A common mistake is to charge the battery when not intending to fly for a few days or more.. This is one of the best ways to decrease the amount of cycles you get out of a pack. It is a proven fact that the amount of cycles you get out of a LiPo is directly related to how long it spends at a full charge.

Another mistake is to leave the pack at a state of charge below 20% for a week or two. Unless the pack is at storage voltage, which is at 50% or 3.85v/cell, the cells will eventually drop in voltage and enter a critically low state of charge. This is why I always leave my LiPo's at around 40-50% if I don't plan to fly the next day.

Putting the LiPo's through a break-in process is also something that people seem to rarely do or even believe in. During the first 10 or so cycles, the LiPo is 'waking up' and it will have a higher operating temp and internal resistance. After 10 cycles, each cell's internal resistance will begin to drop and level out with the rest. It is important that you give it time to do this before fully discharging the battery. Not doing so will allow the cells more opportunity to get out of balance by the end of the flight, which is the beginning of degrading process.

LiPo's also do not like heat. This is another reason for completing a thorough break in process. Draining the battery down to even 20% during the first 10 cycles will make the LiPo much warmer after a flight then if you only discharged it down to 50%. If the LiPo is too warm to hold, the cells are being damaged.

There's a lot more still, so I suggest reading the link I provided above to really soak up as much as you can. It will protect your battery investment big time.

This is a great video explaining it:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I am by no means a battery expert, seems Silverstoned83 has that covered for us, and a good thing. I do however only charge my batteries right before I fly, never intentionally discharge below 15-20% and observe the 50% rule for the first 10 flights whenever possible. Batteries are expensive, I have 4, that's a hard to swallow $600, just for batteries, I want them to last just as long as they possibly can. I just realized 7 batteries is the cost of a new Advanced..... ****!

Great advice!! So who's got the highest cycles showing in their P3 batt?- anyone at 75, 100?

Phantom 3 Intelligent Batteries... I am breaking my first one, in style.
How I wish, to get my hands on four more of those, in a timely fashion.
I can't buy them anywhere but my favorite hobby shop. Only because the price they offered me, can't be beat, even direct from DJI.
I wish they would send us up a batch... One hundred intelligent batteries were ordered, but so far, none have been shipped. Not even one dozen.

This seems very strange, considering just how many places already have them available to purchase. I'm actually hopeful, that this oversight can be corrected.
What did they expect us customers to do, with one battery?

EDIT:
I just spoke on the phone, with a friendly and helpful Great Hobbies representative.
He checked the computer records, and it would appear, there are actually 58 batteries in receiving, and some of those are coming to my location, so I may have all or atleast some of my batteries within the next week to ten days.

Fingers crossed, how awesome would that be? ;-)

I can already smell the new. . .

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Just remember if you are hooked like I am you will probably have 3 or 4 batteries per drone and then upgrade in about 12 months when the next phantom comes out and your batteries should last but the last phantom I sold I intentionally didn't include one battery because it gave a warning sometimes with full ascent throttle and didn't want to pass that onto the new owner even though I felt comfortable flying with it but by keeping an extra eye on it. It's good practice to mark your batteries with numbered stickers or with felt pen in case you have a suspect battery.

I have 30 cycles on one battery. I leave my batteries fully charged 100% at all times and never have I had an issue. Did the same with my Vision plus also. I now I have 5 batteries though so that single won't see so many uses as it was

I never know when I'm going to fly. My phantom rides with me everywhere I go. Sometimes I go a couple days without using some times I use it every day for weeks, so I keep my batteries fully charged always

Reactions: acherman
I have 30 cycles on one battery. I leave my batteries fully charged 100% at all times and never have I had an issue. Did the same with my Vision plus also. I now I have 5 batteries though so that single won't see so many uses as it was

I never know when I'm going to fly. My phantom rides with me everywhere I go. Sometimes I go a couple days without using some times I use it every day for weeks, so I keep my batteries fully charged always
I'm like you, I don't pay too much attention to it until I get a warning that there may be a battery problem. Fly first and worry later

I have 6s Lipos for a RC car that have been thrown from the car at high speeds crashing, wrapped in electrical tape and nearly 3 years old that still work like a champ and charge 100%

These are beat to hell, the y connecter is actually fused together from high heat. Car does 107mph. I love Lipos.
1435280005363.jpg

When my batteries arrive, you may not be seeing much of me here, during regular daylight hours. ;-) Perhaps while full moons glow bright too. Hahaha
It's all good.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: AlmostaJoker
Just remember if you are hooked like I am you will probably have 3 or 4 batteries per drone and then upgrade in about 12 months when the next phantom comes out and your batteries should last but the last phantom I sold I intentionally didn't include one battery because it gave a warning sometimes with full ascent throttle and didn't want to pass that onto the new owner even though I felt comfortable flying with it but by keeping an extra eye on it. It's good practice to mark your batteries with numbered stickers or with felt pen in case you have a suspect battery.

That's very decent of you! I too keep labels on mine so I can record any faults with them and make a note of how many flights each has performed

That's very decent of you! I too keep labels on mine so I can record any faults with them and make a note of how many flights each has performed
Ah its nice to be nice, the last phantom I sold to a guy only received 5 props from me today for free because I had some spare and he had asked me where he should buy some from. I got a better kick out of him getting the props unexpectedly in the post than I would have from getting maybe €20 for them. We're all in this together after all and when we can look out for someone no how matter how small it may be it makes it that little but sweeter

These are beat to hell, the y connecter is actually fused together from high heat. Car does 107mph. I love Lipos. View attachment 23003

Julius,
107mp/h That's awesome. Heck, I would love to see it streak by...
It's refreshing to see others driving and flying the crap out of their models. And knowing the batteries can take a bit of rough and tumble, and continue to tick, like a 'Bulova' watch. No Timex here!!
I also have an HPI SAVAGE X monster truck, actually a 69 RT Dodge Charger, that does 45mp/h, which collects dust. Only because I love flying so much, it doesn't get a lot of use lately. Perhaps I may gift it, to my nephew. He would love that... ;-)
Ah yeah, it runs on Nitro fuel. So it can get a bit oily...
But I love the smell of the burning fuel... And the noise. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Your LiPo's will work just fine after being left charged for several days... I never claimed that they wouldn't. They will, however, not last for as many cycles. This is a proven fact. I'd rather take the extra time in order to maximize how many cycles I get out of them. I think you guys might change your mind once you see what kind of difference a little TLC can make.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.