Anyone hit End of Life on their P3 battery?

Julius,
107mp/h That's awesome. Heck, I would love to see it streak by...
It's refreshing to see others driving and flying the crap out of their models. And knowing the batteries can take a bit of rough and tumble, and continue to tick, like a 'Bulova' watch. No Timex here!!
I also have an HPI SAVAGE X monster truck, actually a 69 RT Dodge Charger, that does 45mp/h, which collects dust. Only because I love flying so much, it doesn't get a lot of use lately. Perhaps I may gift it, to my nephew. He would love that... ;-)
Ah yeah, it runs on Nitro fuel. So it can get a bit oily...
But I love the smell of the burning fuel... And the noise. Hahaha

RedHotPoker

Yea I race real Cars , so I built that buggy strictly for speed. Started as an ECX revenge doing 40mph. Couple grand later after some trial and error and crashes into curbs at full speed and finally broke the 100mph barrier,

It's fun on the street. But 10x more fun on a motocross track jumping it is the best haha.

But yes it shows how tough lipos actually are and what they can actually handle.

The Tenergy 5000 costs 50 bucks, and you can get 10 tomorrow if you want them-- the P3 battery cost 150 bucks and you might get a second one if you are lucky. If the P3 battery is thrown out, overheated and the leads are fused together from heat, if really doesn't matter whether it is still good, because Im quite sure the P3 wont be around for another flight.:D:D:D
Thet analogy of Lipo battery care in this instance is pretty useless.

One thing that's different about the p3 and the p2's battery. The way the p2 battery's counted battery health was sort of stupid being it was just a counter that every 3 charges took 1% off the 100% they started out with. Tho it never had any thing to do with the battey's health or even its condition. So it was just another way of showing the count for how many times it was charged or discharged. If some one some how toasted there battery when it was new and had 6 cycles on it but shot it would still show they had 98% life left in it. Yet if some one had one that had a lot of cycles but taken care of and in great condition still it would still tick off 1 % every 3 cycles.

But I noticed in the p3s battery info. The battery life number no longer seems to be a 2'd way of counting the # of charges on the battery. All of mine are still showing a full 100% even with about 30 cycles in.

I can go buy 10 p3 batteries tomorrow if I wanted too. Not hard to find in my area. Walked in to a store and bought the 5 extras I have now weeks ago.

Big deal if its 50. When I bought them 2 years ago they were alot more then 50$

Dji batteries are 150 because it's not just a raw LIPO. It has their smart battery junk in it which you pay for.

I was comparing LIPOs, and my expierence with them.

I can go buy 10 p3 batteries tomorrow if I wanted too. Not hard to find in my area. Walked in to a store and bought the 5 extras I have now weeks ago.

Big deal if its 50. When I bought them 2 years ago they were alot more then 50$

Dji batteries are 150 because it's not just a raw LIPO. It has their smart battery junk in it which you pay for.

I was comparing LIPOs, and my expierence with them.

I might go get another battery from Terry soon. lol!

Got three batteries with my P2V+ broke them in 50% ten flights. Two never made it to the 20 cycle mark. Bad cell!
:(

I'm up to 40 charges on one of my batteries. It's at 100% life. I keep it fully charged most of the time. When you couldn't get a second battery I was throwing it in the freezer and force cooling it for 20 min then re charging.

Reactions: Julius717
I'm up to 40 charges on one of my batteries. It's at 100% life. I keep it fully charged most of the time. When you couldn't get a second battery I was throwing it in the freezer and force cooling it for 20 min then re charging.

You're an animal!!!

It's a trip how some batteries will go full on beast mode and others are so sensitive... I had an old AR Drone battery from 2012 that finally just gave out this year in April... used it to power external boosters all last year and finally killed it by leaving it fully charged for too long this spring.

Reactions: Coldfire
I am elated~overjoyed when learning & knowing my four P3 intelligent batteries are finally on their way up to Edmonton... I should hopefully have them in a week or so. That was easy... Ahhhhhhhhhhh sigh of relief.

As far as speed goes, I suppose a guy could just go out and buy one of these. The sexy Traxxas which also makes a Hot road machine, out of the box...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Love those curves, and the car looks great too. ;-)

RedHotPoker

Last edited:
Unless u have a lot of room it's useless. You cant take the x01 off road. Sweet car though.

My buggy with knobby tires throws a wicked rooster tail ha

Yeah, definately not for the weak hearted, or any off road frolics ...
It's great to see where these batteries have come from & gone in only a few short years. Yeah, so can you imagine what power they may have the LiPo produce in the near future... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Trumple
At the high prices these bad boys cost to acquire, I shall baby mine.
So Thank You very much... I am glad to know how to break them in, and store them, if their not going to be being used for a few days or more.

A day without flying is a day without laughter... Hahaha
& I have only one fully charged battery that needs my undivided attention.

Wow, that bit of good news, of our DJI battery shipment this afternoon, made me feel good... "It Won't be long now." Said the rabbi...

I have heard no mention of anyone using a fire proof bag for charging or storage.
Is there that much trust and faith in these DJI intelligent batteries, that they won't burn you, or explode?
I don't have a bag for batteries, so maybe I should get one, soon?

RedHotPoker

I had two batteries for my vision that were charged fully over summer. Went out to fly the quad and it acted erratic. It kept falling to earth as I had the controls with full throttle up. It stopped at about 5 ft and then dropped. I hooked it up to my Mac and it said it has cycled 3600 times. I only used the battery about 5 times. The other battery had the same issue. I'm guessing because of these results that these batteries don't like to be fully charged for a long time. I won't do it again with the P3P. Some may say, why did you leave them charged so long? Remember the P2 came out in Nov 2013. I didn't have a lot of opportunity to fly it.

That's s shame to waste perfectly good expensive LiPo's for the sake of not taking proper care, and draining them to an acceptable charge level.

I don't know much about timelines of previous Phantom models or their release dates. I only saw them in the hobby shop, but never had much interest in them. I have honestly always thought that they looked very cool, but the radio seemed too simple, no parameters or adjustability. It looked toyish, and plane., or plain.
Of course, I had no idea, that the brains and most of control centre, was actually hidden way, within the Pilot app.
Interestingly enough, with how the video is transmitted & sent back to the pilot, is very similar to how the much simpler Parrot AR Drone 2.0 was negotiated.
But without any Tx, unless you did the surgery and switched out the factory Rx, removing their factory receiver.
You fly it by directionally tilting-twisting the iPad or Android.

Lots of fun, for everyone. I love this sport, hobby, life style of fun.

RedHotPoker

Just remember if you are hooked like I am you will probably have 3 or 4 batteries per drone and then upgrade in about 12 months when the next phantom comes out and your batteries should last but the last phantom I sold I intentionally didn't include one battery because it gave a warning sometimes with full ascent throttle and didn't want to pass that onto the new owner even though I felt comfortable flying with it but by keeping an extra eye on it. It's good practice to mark your batteries with numbered stickers or with felt pen in case you have a suspect battery.
I have a question about batteries and you seem to know your stuff....I have a new phantom 3 advanced...since purchasing it a month ago i have never had more than 12-13 minutes of flying time while recording video or not.....it also drains my samsung tablet very quickly.....i even went out and upgraded my tablet and i have the same problem....i had a phantom 2 previously and i would get in excess of 18 minutes flying time......i really do not like this new phantom 3 and the whole dji pilot app crap....anyway, would you have an ideas as to why my battery is draining so quickly and why it is draining my tablet so quickly as well ????...any help from anyone would be most appreciated....cheers !

I'm getting 18-19 minutes before the first warning kicks in at 30%. What sort of flying are you doing? Aggressive movements will work the batteries harder than gentle drifting along. Just a thought?
I have never been an aggressive flyer...i use this phantom 3 only as a platform for cinematography so all my flights are extremely slow with very calculated movements and always very short in distance, never out of line of sight....in fact yesterday i was filming the start of a golf tournament....what they call a shotgun start where all the karts are lined up one behind the other at the clubhouse...166 carts...i was hovering above them shooting straight down as the bell rang and they all began to move like ants to their assigned holes to tee off...at the 11 minute mark i was getting the warning to bring it in......it also completely drained my tablet in the same amount of time......the shop i bought it from is terrible...they know absolutely nothing and everything is my fault....well this is my second phantom...i had a phantom two for a year and a half before purchasing this new 3...i know what i am doing........and i know that something is amiss here as 12 minutes on a fully charged battery is just wrong....i really don't know what to do....i ordered and paid for a second battery more than a month ago when i purchased this thing but it has yet to arrive....the store says nothing is wrong...dji support chat is of no help............anyway, any suggestions???? would be greatly appreciated.............cheers man !

http://www.arrestedimages.com

Last edited:
I've never heard of such problems, if you aren't flying aggressively you should be getting more time, I can't see how the tablet battery draining so quickly would be connected to it though?
If the battery was faulty or the p3 is pulling too much power for some reason that's one thing, but the tablet? That's a strange one for me. How fast is the tablet draining?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.