Anyone else getting video dropouts after upgrading

Reaction score
I updated to the latest, greatest versions of firmware and software for the DJI Go app and my P3P and now I get a ton of video dropouts when I'm flying.

Sometimes the video feed drops out when I'm only 50 feet away or so.

It's pretty terrifying to be 1200 feet away and 300 feet up and the video on my iPad 2 mini blinks to black.

I'm really nervous about flying because it seems that every time I go up no matter where I'm flying, I'm getting video dropouts.

I used my iPhone 6s Plus to make sure it wasn't just my iPad 2 mini and it does the same thing.

The longest dropout was for about three seconds but that was enough to get my heart racing!!

Never had any dropouts before upgrading even when almost 2000 feet away and 400 feet up.

Was wondering of anyone else has been having these issues since they upgraded and it this a known bug of the upgrade or not?

Attachments

• ICNC copy.jpg
    ICNC copy.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 592
Reactions: skyhighdiver
Yes. I do not remember getting anywhere near as many dropouts as I am getting now. Flying at the beach yesterday (no trees, buildings, etc) and I was still getting dropouts within 1,000 feet. Not a lot but I remember flying at home and going entire flights (18 minutes) over a swamp (5,000 feet out) without a single dropout.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Glad to know I'm not the only one after upgrading. I made sure everything was fully charged, had 17 sats locked in and clear line of site only about 50 feet away from my P3P and had video dropouts.
The recorded video is fine so it's just the video feed from the P3P to the RC that is blinking out.
Hope they address it in the next update cause like I said, it scares the hell out of me when it does it because I worry it's not going to come back up!

I updated to the latest, greatest versions of firmware and software for the DJI Go app and my P3P and now I get a ton of video dropouts when I'm flying.

It's pretty terrifying to be 1200 feet away and 300 feet up and the video on my iPad 2 mini blinks to black.

I'm really nervous about flying because it seems that every time I go up no matter where I'm flying, I'm getting video dropouts.

I used my iPhone 6s Plus to make sure it wasn't just my iPad 2 mini and it does the same thing.

The longest dropout was for about three seconds but that was enough to get my heart racing!!

Never had any dropouts before upgrading even when almost 2000 feet away and 400 feet up.

Was wondering of anyone else has been having these issues since they upgraded and it this a known bug of the upgrade or not?

Yes I upgraded my iphone 6s+ to the latest and greatest and after 2 flights will not use it again due to very bad video quality and crashes and pixilation

I left my ipad air 64gb wifi on ios 8.4.1 and use pilot go app 2.2.0 still dont have good 720 video feed to view but have only had one app crash aka lock up in 30 flights > If not for the point of interest app I would go back to lower app version as I had much better video preview quality.

For an experiment, I updated to 1.4.1 and 2.3 earlier this week while staying on iOS 8.4.1. I immediately had terrible video lag, lock ups, and random reboots of my Air 2. I worked throughout the week to try to get it closer to the buttery smooth video I normally have, but to no avail. This weekend I will be returning to the the previous FW and app version and I will likely never again update either.

Also, there have been many reports of video lag issues with the new versions. I was just hoping that I was one of the many who have not seen issues. I wasn't.

Downlink Video completely unstable since upgrade | DJI Phantom Forum

Video lag After updates | DJI Phantom Forum

Choppy video feed after update (1.4.0010).. Nexus 7 II | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: JoBe
As a dji product & beta tester I can tell you the number 1 way to any attention to your problem, is to post a thread in the P3 forum on dji.com. And then keep that thread active. Get others with the same or similar issues to post in the thread. When it comes to a issue that has a number of people complaining that issue makes it's way to the beta engineer's who write a fix and turn it over to the beta team.

Now I have mentioned what I'm about to say in the recent past. I feel like I personally have noticed a gradual decline in overall distance with each update. You yourself knows your common flight areas characteristics. And when something happens that has never happened before even on the worse days for flying, you tend to know something is just not the same. The changes that seem to have the worse effect on your aircraft, are the changes that takes place when there is a No Turning Back type situation in play. We then have to be miserable for the next 2-3 updates, and even then feel like it was never as good as the setup you can no longer return to.

Let this be a heads up for you now that must uncheck the option to auto update your dji app, or all your app's. I stopped auto update on my app's over a year ago when we really got jacked pretty bad. Staying logged out of the network, and not synchronizing any of your flight will keep any possible updates from being forced on your aircraft.

This next update has said to be once updated, there will be no return to any setup you have access to now. Included is a firmware change with in the R/C that is likely the reason for the no roll back option. I predict another loss in distance with this next update as well. The 8,9, 10mile threads contribute to these distance reductions. So what happens is, certain mobile devices become effected by some of these updates for whatever reason. And then the only real way it gets taken care of is if one of us has the same device and experiencing the same issue.

If you don't want to any problems, you might consider waiting 10-14 days and see if others are experiencing any problems before you do any downloading.

im losing video at 50 feet away too...
i use ipad air 2 wifi only (with or without wifi turned on).
it used to work perfectly in the test location.. i have many recordings of the are and yesterday it was impossible to keep a stable video feed

I was getting a lot of video drop outs, then after switching to a custom channel & changing to 4 MBPS (lowest video quality) no more drop outs, i am using 32 channel mod, don't know if that matters.

My P3P is working well now on 1.3.20 with ipad on 8.4 - this makes me think I should not upgrade.

I was getting a lot of video drop outs, then after switching to a custom channel & changing to 4 MBPS (lowest video quality) no more drop outs, i am using 32 channel mod, don't know if that matters.
In the the threads about video loss after the last update, several have noted trying the 32 channel "hack", as well as lowering the quality of the video feed. As with everything to do with the Phantom it seems, there were mixed results. Even people using the same setups see very different results.

As for me personally, even though I have not had any issues with video loss on my Air 2 in the past while using the highest video quality setting, I still tried to lower the quality and it was little help. Frankly I would be annoyed if I had to lower the quality to get something working again that worked well before, so even if a lower quality worked I would still want to return to the prior FW/app versions.

Reactions: JoBe
Yep, video feed is "shaky" for me and cuts out at about 500 distance. I can honestly say that it wasn't like this before updating. I use iPhone 6.

hello,

i wonder why i'm getting video feed dropouts on pre-flight using ipad mini 2 and i just upgraded to newest IOS.

That video feed problem doesn't happen when i'm using same drone with Android tablet.

Cheers!

I was running 1.1fw flawlessly since almost day 1 release. Was more than happy with the performance but I needed 1.4 fw for the poi modes. Big mistake as I now regularly get disconnection errors and gps signal errors. Dji definitely broke a few things whilst fixing others.

Yep, video dropouts every 30-50 seconds, lasting maybe half a second or so. Distance doesn't seem to matter much. I never gave it much thought, I always assumed that this is just some of the weaknesses with LightBridge.

//Tom

Reactions: meissner58
Hi. Is it a dji firmware issue or phone? I have P3S and I'm getting signal lost around 80ft. I still have full control over drone just no video! Haven't had this issue before but happened twice once Friday and once yesterday. Haven't flown since in case it's unsafe. Any ideas??
I'm connected to Galaxy S6 edge plus

I'm seeing the video drop out occassionally since the last update. Before the update, such drop outs were extremely rare. Now they happen during most every flight. I'm using a P3P with a Samsung Tab S tablet.

-- Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl