Anybody exploring caves with their drones?

I've heard of drones being used in mines to survey old/abandoned mines. Not sure how they are pushing the drones deep into the mine system and BLOS. Would an acoustic (beacon) system work similar to what a Roomba uses to find home in a large house? They could be dropped/staged along the way as the drone pushes farther in with each flight? I'd like to know more as my buddy and I want to explore a few cave systems out west using Phantoms and Mavics this summer. Any suggestions on where to go online to get started with the research? Also, is there a 'direct line' to DJI engineering to bounce ideas such as this and discuss the use/limitations of Lightbridge in these underground scenarios? Thanks!

I searched and found a few old threads, but none that were too recent. I was wondering if anybody has been flying their drones in any caves and if they've had any issues/tips about flying in the caves?

I mostly plan to fly in the larger caves to limit the risk of a collision, but there are a couple spots I'd like to get my eyes on that we can't reach without bolting a route in the in the cave (trying not to cause unnecessary damage unless there is indeed more passages beyond what we can see). I wouldn't be sending it far out of sight (maybe 15 feet or less from line of sight), but wasn't sure if that would be enough to lose the signal since it's solid limestone.
Yeah, forgot all about Attl mode. It lost GPS and light. Went into Atti mode and drifted into the rock wall. Brock some props but otherwise no damage. Lesson learned, become more familiar with the modes. And don’t forget it can return to home. Not good in a cave!

Especially designed and equipped drones are beginning to be used in mines but the ones I’ve seen so far are protected by carbon composite gimbaled cages and would probably use Lidar/Sonar for positioning and mapping.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl