any input on this charger?

Reaction score
Personally, I would NEVER use one of those, but I think a lot of guys on here do. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford extra chargers - I have 5 chargers for my 6 batteries. BH was selling a 2 battery + extra charger set when I ordered all my accessories, so I only needed to purchase a few spare chargers.

If your goal is to save money, and not have to bother with babysitting the batteries, then this will do it, but if I'm not mistaken, it will still take the same amount of time to charge all 3.

fujitsuman said:
Personally, I would NEVER use one of those, but I think a lot of guys on here do. I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford extra chargers - I have 5 chargers for my 6 batteries. BH was selling a 2 battery + extra charger set when I ordered all my accessories, so I only needed to purchase a few spare chargers.

If your goal is to save money, and not have to bother with babysitting the batteries, then this will do it, but if I'm not mistaken, it will still take the same amount of time to charge all 3.

yea i just want to be able to walk away over night and come back to 3 charged batteries. im just worried about the charger damaging the battery somehow. do you think it would do that? possible cut down the overall life of the battery.

Check out this thread here:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12913

I also was considering an overnight charge, but to me, it's not worth the risk. I'm getting the lipo bags as well - given DJI's track record, I'm not taking anything for granted.

That said, the batteries tend to recharge in less than 90 mins, so I always plug them in immediately upon returning home - usually before having dinner. I have my chargers plugged into a heavy duty surge protector, so I flip the switch, plug in batteries, then come back an hour later and kill the master switch. Even if I have to get out of bed as I'm falling asleep, I've found it worth the peace of mind.

That solution looks almost perfect (not a bad price, either). Remember that these batteries have their "brains" built in to EACH battery.. the stock power supply is 12 volts and it's current is limited by its size -- there is no magic in the stock power supply/"charger".

This solution will work fine except it'll not charge 3 in the time of 1 -- it will probably take more than 3x as long as ONE because the current is divided among the 3 batteries but the supply cannot deliver 3x the current (which is ok and relatively safe, even though the current demand will be increased from the power supply it should handle it okay, but I would expect it to run hotter)

The only problem I have with it is that I only have 2 batteries, and that means 1 set of prongs will be exposed.. just a safety thing but not dangerous... i'd make some kind of rubber cover..

fujitsuman said:
I have my chargers plugged into a heavy duty surge protector, so I flip the switch, plug in batteries, then come back an hour later and kill the master switch. Even if I have to get out of bed as I'm falling asleep, I've found it worth the peace of mind.
Why do you bother switching off the power supply with a switch power bar? the batteries "shut off" automatically when fully charged and near to no current would be consumed by the power supply.

Jayson Hanes said:
fujitsuman said:
I have my chargers plugged into a heavy duty surge protector, so I flip the switch, plug in batteries, then come back an hour later and kill the master switch. Even if I have to get out of bed as I'm falling asleep, I've found it worth the peace of mind.
Why do you bother switching off the power supply with a switch power bar? the batteries "shut off" automatically when fully charged and near to no current would be consumed by the power supply.

Because a malfunction is possible and it's not worth risking an exploding battery or a fire. What would you rather, flip a little switch, or fall asleep every night knowing there's a 0.01% chance you'll wake up to a fire caused by your own negligence? Instructions clearly say to unplug the batteries upon a full charge. Small price to pay for peace of mind, but to each their own.

Jayson Hanes said:
That solution looks almost perfect (not a bad price, either). Remember that these batteries have their "brains" built in to EACH battery.. the stock power supply is 12 volts and it's current is limited by its size -- there is no magic in the stock power supply/"charger".

This solution will work fine except it'll not charge 3 in the time of 1 -- it will probably take more than 3x as long as ONE because the current is divided among the 3 batteries but the supply cannot deliver 3x the current (which is ok and relatively safe, even though the current demand will be increased from the power supply it should handle it okay, but I would expect it to run hotter)

The only problem I have with it is that I only have 2 batteries, and that means 1 set of prongs will be exposed.. just a safety thing but not dangerous... i'd make some kind of rubber cover..

from my understanding this charger will charge one battery at a time. realistically i never leave lipo's charging overnight anymore. not since I woke up and my TX lipo expanded to a pillow shape. after a day of fpv i'd plug all 3 in and check on them around 11pm. i was just worried about it effecting the life of the battery. They are too expensive to be replacing every month.

by the way does anyone know how long we are supposed to let the bird rest between 20 minute flights?

I could be wrong, but I have been allowing very little downtime. I had a very tight window to film two days ago and had to get 3 flights in back-to-back. Obviously there is still about 2 mins of downtime to switch over, but I had zero problems whatsoever.

neoneo said:
can I have anyones expert input on this charger. I have three batteries and it looks like a good way to charge them all at the same time but it could be a death trap. Please share your opinions. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Paralle ... 1456182554

It is a cool gizmo but, with this solution, it will take 3x the amount of time to charge 3 batteries as it would to charge a single battery. You are looking at around 4 hours total if the batteries are low.

For about the same price, you can but TWO of the regular chargers, meaning you have two spares because the charger will eventually wear out, and you can charge three batteries in a little over an hour.

I'm going for the extra standard charger option.

Dirty Bird said:
neoneo said:
can I have anyones expert input on this charger. I have three batteries and it looks like a good way to charge them all at the same time but it could be a death trap. Please share your opinions. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-Paralle ... 1456182554

It is a cool gizmo but, with this solution, it will take 3x the amount of time to charge 3 batteries as it would to charge a single battery. You are looking at around 4 hours total if the batteries are low.

For about the same price, you can but TWO of the regular chargers, meaning you have two spares because the charger will eventually wear out, and you can charge three batteries in a little over an hour.

I'm going for the extra standard charger option.

that sounds like a safer and better solution. where can i find a charger though. i just checked online and cant' find it. not even on dji.com

Dirty Bird said:
MotionRC has them in stock. $39 each plus $5 shipping for orders under $100, (free if your total order is $100 or more). If you get two of these you'll have 3 full-blown chargers and you can charge 3 batteries from empty in a little over an hour.

http://www.motionrc.com/dji-phantom-2-battery-charger/
or if you have three batteries you can fly non stop as takes about 1hr to charge
I did get a second charger for back up and use it at same time so I can have a cool of period
as if you have ever used lipos before on other r/c stuff you know never to charge a hot battery fresh off flight
greatly reduce there life

I run 5000 4s in my r/c boats and if you run hard and charge to quick they will puff up on you,
and with these phantom batteries trapped in a frame that would not be good :eek: :eek:

http://youtu.be/VbyiTND5IkA

Just for general info the contoler batteries I have used are energizer ultimate lithium and have 32 flights on them now and still no issues.
So good batteries in the controller will last a long time. Not sure how long but we will find out .
Doesn't seem like the draw is to much.
When I do find out how many ;) ;) I also get another RTH check

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl