Antenna options for quadcopter swarm

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am currently working with a group that is doing research on drone swarm technology (using 30+ vehicles at once), and I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on what choices I have in terms of transmitter antennas. I need a setup that could give me omnidirectional coverage with about 1 km horizontal range and 250 m vertical range.
Would I be fine with using several 5 dbi rubber duck antennas, or should I look into some other omnidirectional antennas like skew planar wheel and array?

I would go with the linear rubber ducky. Holding the antenna so it's vertical, know that the signal is very limited directly overhead and somewhat limited behind you (through you).

Thanks for the advice. I do need some coverage directly overhead though, so would it be feasible to have a few rubber ducky antennas held at different angles?

You mean split the antenna cable into multiple antennas? I don't know about that. I think you'd compromise the signal strength too much...

You've got a dead spot directly overhead, right?

Linear signals do bounce nicely. How about a couple cookie sheets nearby at a 45 degree angle bouncing waves straight up? Or a cone-shaped beer can deal under the antenna?

These are just ideas... :grinning:

@Evan Lewis,
Coincidence? I was just looking at these new innovative racing drone antennas earlier today, before I read this thread, and so I thought that I might as well share these with you guys, here.
Obviously they're for the racing drone, not your RC, but this may give you some interesting ideas...

TBS™ Triumph RP-SMA (2pcs)

106470.jpg

Team Black Sheep have re-invented the 5.8Ghz circular polarised antenna with the Triumph.

Modified specifically for FPV use, the Triumph is durable enough to take the toughest abuse and has been extensively tested to ensure it is the best in its class for range and signal quality.

The TBS™ Triumph utilises a special foam filled and ultrasonically welded enclosure to secure and protect the clover leaf antenna. The signal strength has been maximised by using double-jacket heavy duty Semi-Rigid cable and tin-plated connectors.

This is a perfect choice for an antenna package that will meet or exceed your FPVneeds, especially in the drone racing area.

Features:
• Manufactured and tested to highest standards
• Best in class range and signal quality
• Extra compact and low weight
• Ultrasonically welded and foam infused cover for ultimate crash-protection
• Double-jacket semi-rigid cable for heavy impact resistance

Specs:
Frequency range: 5500-6000MHz
Gain: 1.26dbic
Axial Ratio: 0.74
Cable: RG402 (heavy duty)
Weight: 11.5g