Changed transmitter antenna to 6dbi... now worst range.. ideas?

Reaction score
So I've had my Phantom 2 vision + for a month now (upgraded from a regular phantom 2) and decided I want more range from it.

After doing a moderate amount of research I decided to start with the Wifi antenna mod. So I purchased:
3 6dBi RP-SMA Dual Band WiFi Antenna + 3 U.fl Mod Kit Netgear WNDR3400 WNDR3700

Its a 3 pack of 6dbi gain antennas and U.fl cables.

The wifi mod went perfect and was able to take my Phantom to 2800ft before losing transmitter reception and it going into return to home mode. (Video never skipped a beat) Using the stock tx antenna

So went home and after doing some more research I decided I would change out the tx antenna to add even more range. The antenna i purchased said it was for 2.4ghz and 5ghz (im assuming this meant 5.8ghz too) [file]antenna|none[/file]

Well after going for a quick flight I could not get the phantom to go more than 2000ft (620m) in perfect clear line of site.

What gives? Is this the wrong type of antenna? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks :)

Antenna gain is derived by squeezing the radiation pattern. With these WiFi antennas they compress it top to bottom.
Also you have the antennas horizontal in your picture, like the ones on the quad they should be vertical for the best signal polarity matching.

Hm, didn't know about putting the antenna vertical. I know with these antenna the signal gets squeezed and therefore the antenna should be perpendicular to the quad (never the tip pointing at or away) I didn't think about putting the antenna straight up and down. I can give that a shot. Even though I kept the stock antenna the same orientation as in the picture

I'm pretty sure that the stock antennas are also more directional then them ommi directional ones you used. The stock ones tend to put out its signal in more of a wide cone shape coming off the flat face of them compared to a donut shape like the wifi ones have were the signal comes out from all sides of the antenna.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj