Another SanDisk Bites the Dust

Reaction score
... and another one's down another one's down
Another SanDisk bites the dust!

After that musical interlude, here's the story.
I have a SanDisk Ultra 64GB that was one of two included with my Phantom 3 Advanced package purchased week of Thanksgiving, started regular use Christmas, suspended use day after Christmas due to crash until 3rd week of January.
Probably about a month ago, video recordings kept cutting out. Thought it might be record cache becoming full on my tablet. After clearing space on the tablet, recordings appear OK.

Well it happened again today. Swapped out for a SanDisk Ultra Plus 65GB I bought from Walmart, no issues.
I had cleared the cards with my desktop (deleted folders, not formatted) earlier, thought the Gimbal had issues with the MS formatting of the card. I had the gimbal format the remaining two cards obtained from Walmart before recording again. No issues that I can recall, at least no abrupt abort of recordings.

So I checked out the Ultra. Definitely has issues. Tried full format, not just a quick format but issues continue.
Symptoms include:
Slow start and stop of recordings
Record elapsed time freezes then jumps.
Recordings abruptly stop
Playback of recordings show as corrupted with Windows Movies and TV or show artifacts, usually at the end when the recording aborted.

Full format showed no bad blocks.
I'm testing if the card can still be used for other things. I just copied 3GB of videos on use of the P3/Inspire I purchased before Christmas, those appeared to copy OK though the transfer rate was slow, averaging 10MB/s but as low as 7MB but sometimes as high as 20MB.

Conclusion: Either SanDisk in general is having issues with a batch of their cards or the Ultra isn't adequate for the Phantom, even with 1080p 60fps. SanDisk had been considered a good brand.

I have the other Ultra in my tablet I had hoped I could use to extend the storage but the Tab E doesn't provide integration of an SD card into main storage so it takes manual copy/moves of files. Big pain.
But I'll see if that card exhibits any issues.

PS: I had a heck of a time remembering where the SD format option was.
It is on the camera Settings menu, where I intuitively thought it was but you have to scroll down to see the option and there's no indication that menu has more options than shown so you can overlook it. At least that's how it is on Android Go 3.1.3

I have given up on the Sandisk 64 cards. 3 failing out of four I had suggests they are pox. They get hot when they fail also. All purchased from officeworks (Australia) so assuming they weren't counterfeit.

Tried the other Ultra that I had mounted in the tablet, seems to be OK.
Regarding the one I had issues and copied the 3GB worth of training videos: Did a binary file comparison between the two, no issues.
So it appears it is still useable, just not at the speed the P3A needs. Phantoms seem to not have too much tolerance for cards with soft issues.
On the positive note, I suspect the phantom cameras do have some buffering in RAM or else the one card would have failed recording as soon as it hit any bad spot where the record elapsed time hesitated.

dan man32...after reading up on what was suggested, i went with the sandisk 64gb extreme u3 for my p3 pro. it seems to be fine, maybe you could check that one out,has faster read/write speeds..good luck.....

... and another one's down another one's down
Another SanDisk bites the dust!

After that musical interlude, here's the story.
I have a SanDisk Ultra 64GB that was one of two included with my Phantom 3 Advanced package purchased week of Thanksgiving, started regular use Christmas, suspended use day after Christmas due to crash until 3rd week of January.
Probably about a month ago, video recordings kept cutting out. Thought it might be record cache becoming full on my tablet. After clearing space on the tablet, recordings appear OK.

Well it happened again today. Swapped out for a SanDisk Ultra Plus 65GB I bought from Walmart, no issues.
I had cleared the cards with my desktop (deleted folders, not formatted) earlier, thought the Gimbal had issues with the MS formatting of the card. I had the gimbal format the remaining two cards obtained from Walmart before recording again. No issues that I can recall, at least no abrupt abort of recordings.

So I checked out the Ultra. Definitely has issues. Tried full format, not just a quick format but issues continue.
Symptoms include:
Slow start and stop of recordings
Record elapsed time freezes then jumps.
Recordings abruptly stop
Playback of recordings show as corrupted with Windows Movies and TV or show artifacts, usually at the end when the recording aborted.

Full format showed no bad blocks.
I'm testing if the card can still be used for other things. I just copied 3GB of videos on use of the P3/Inspire I purchased before Christmas, those appeared to copy OK though the transfer rate was slow, averaging 10MB/s but as low as 7MB but sometimes as high as 20MB.

Conclusion: Either SanDisk in general is having issues with a batch of their cards or the Ultra isn't adequate for the Phantom, even with 1080p 60fps. SanDisk had been considered a good brand.

I have the other Ultra in my tablet I had hoped I could use to extend the storage but the Tab E doesn't provide integration of an SD card into main storage so it takes manual copy/moves of files. Big pain.
But I'll see if that card exhibits any issues.

Do you know depends where you purchased those cards there are a lot of fake ones around
Lots of fake sandisk are been sold on ebay they almost look identical but can be all sorts of trouble
Just google fake sd cards

i was advised last year to use this sandisk extreme u3,class 10, best and fastest they made and it's always worked great for me. it's much faster than the ultra, which i think is a u1. i don't even use the ultras in my land cameras anymore.... as usual, better usually means more$ but you can shop around. i paid $ 35.00 for my last one. good luck!!

Attachments

• sandisk extreme 64  u3 class 10.jpg
    sandisk extreme 64 u3 class 10.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 292

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj